New ASA Pilot Hiring Minimums

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Guitar Guy said:
To add my two cents, I was hired at a 121 carrier and started groundschool with less than 550 TT. And I was NOT in a bridge program, PFT, an intern or from one of those academy schools.

lots of multi?

machophil said:
lots of multi?

A little over 130 hours. But in my Indoc class, there were people with around 20-30 hours and not much more total time than me.

corpflunkie said:
Truely scary!! (excluding military)

Are you referring to me or any of my former co-workers that started with low hours? If so, I'd ask you to look at our collective record before you decide it's "truely scary".

The amount of time in a logbook is not the only determinant in what makes a good pilot. Go do some searching through the NTSB's records and you'll find low- and high-time pilots that made poor decisions resulting in accidents. Experience is great but without good airmanship and decision-making skills, the hours in a logbook are just a number.

chrisdahut24 said:
Plus graduates of a certain B1900 121 F/O program here in Ft. lauderdale That I've heard so many positive things about...

Sorry, I couldn't resist! And although i meant that in jest, lets hope thats not what these minimums are opening the door to.

YEAH!!!! get some!!!!

Guitar Guy said:
Are you referring to me or any of my former co-workers that started with low hours? If so, I'd ask you to look at our collective record before you decide it's "truely scary".

The amount of time in a logbook is not the only determinant in what makes a good pilot. Go do some searching through the NTSB's records and you'll find low- and high-time pilots that made poor decisions resulting in accidents. Experience is great but without good airmanship and decision-making skills, the hours in a logbook are just a number.

I cannot agree more. I sought out a very experienced (over 20,000 hrs.) instructor. The training I received and the decision making skills I got from him make a huge difference. I saw plenty of pilots with 1200 plus hrs. who had little or no instrument skills and who showed virtually no professionalism on the radios and in their dealing with tough flying situations. Hours do not make the pilot a professional attitude and good training do.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back