• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New ALPA Message to USAirways Pilots pt 3

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Again, do Not have a dog in this fight, but do know quite a few US Air (east) pilots.

".....spending our money on expanding the east operation." What expansion?? Other than some additional European flying, there has been NO expansion. In fact, since the merger, the 'capacity' of US Air has declined in viturally every month, with the small increase in int'l being far offset by declines in domestic capacity.

And, there is NO growth in the future plans of the airline

-E190s are replacing 737s. And, the options on future E190s are from converted options for E170s, which U had on the books prior to the merger.

-"60 or so A320s" (which I believe the total narrow-body order is actually a total of about 90 a/c), are ALL replacement aircraft.

-30+ widebodies (actually I think the 'firm' order is only 25), and some may be growth, but some will probably be replacements for the 767s in the future, plus the 757s (all but about 20) are scheduled to go away.

So, there has be NO real "expanding of the east operation." Drunk dumbass dougie does Not know how to 'grow' an airline. And, in all likelihood, all of the a/c (buses) that AWA has on order prior to merger was have been just 'replacement' a/c. And, prior to the merger, US Air staffing was allowed to decline (guys retiring at a rate of 20-30/mth. and not being replaced) well below what was necessary; in my honest opinion, as a deliberate move to reduce costs to 'make the deal.' Hence, the rush to accelerate the recalls, as flights were being cancelled, just to bring staffing levels up to where they should have been. As I believe (as I have studied this industy and business in general for years) that this merger was planned by Lakefield and Parker probably 2yrs before it was actually announced.

So, with NO real growth in the future of US Airways, the only way to 'move up' is through 'attrition.' And, the AWA (west) have their attrition and the US Air (east) have their attrition, but don't see any "stealing" as I stated before.

The sooner that both sides realize that the 'New' US Airways is not really going to 'grow' or go anywhere until that Drunk Dumbass dougie either, leaves, dies, or goes back to jail. Until, of course, the next merger, in which case, he will F#%k, both groups.

Don't you think there are 'a lot' of DL guys out there very happy that they dodged that 'drunk dumbass.' And, I guess a year ago, there were about 450 furloughed DL guys out there on the street, that you guys would have said, 'had NO career expectations' as they were 'furloughed' but most are now sitting in the right seat of a 767 flying int'l.

So, no stealing, as the US Air guys are just taking advantage of 'their attrition,' the same thing that I would do, and the same thing that you would do in their place; and of course, if you say you would do otherwise, you'd be just lying.

Just a thought.

DA

For someone who "doesn't have a dog in this fight" you sure have some mighty strong opinions on our resident lush,now don't you. Kinda makes one wonder if your "no dog in this fight" mantra is just a ruse.

Just a thought....:rolleyes:

PHXFLYR :cool:

You sound like you put a lot of thought and time into your post. I commend you for that, but I have to disagree with your opinion.

For example, I am the average line pilot out here. (PHL AB FO). I will vote no on any TA that comes through, unless it has a 20yr fence and a 40% raise. Simply because of the loss of seniority. That is the key issue. Pay/work rules/retirement are all important but secondary concerns.

Meeting those requirements is doubtful, so I don't see it happening.

Nevermind....I don't even know how to begin responding to such twisted logic.

PHXFLYR:cool:

Seems simple enough. USAir Captain retires, USAir F/O takes his place, AWA Capt retires AWA F/O takes his place. Any new aircraft past the numbers present at the time of the merger goes per the nic list.

The AWA guys get their attrition that they brought with them, the Airways guys get the attrition that they brought. Granted that USAir has many more retiring in the very near future than AWA does, (Roughly 800 Capts in 5 years or so), but most of the growth seats would go to the west due to the Nic award.

Airways has a mass exodous of pilots that started a year or so back and will continue for quite a few years, so even without the merger and zero growth in airframes every furloughed pilot would have been back barring a complete shutdown in very short time with hiring needed. Arguing if airways would have made it or if AWA would have survived is an exercise in futility. Airways has been around since the 40's in one form or another and AWA since the early 80's. Neither were a real prize at the time of the merger. One was a second rate wannabe and the other was a has been.

Together in an amicable agreement they could be a powerhouse again.

Maybe in your dreams.The reality is both companies should have been shot and put out of their misery years ago. The merger won't change anything in that regard, amicable agreement or not.

There will be an agreement, but it will not be amicable and thus the has beens will become second rate wannabe's.

- AAA MEC is going to be neutered by national. They will remain resolute in their defiance so that the blame can be deflected from them when they are relieved of their duties.

- TA will be negotiated and presented

- USAPA will stir the pot to no avail. $$ talks.

- Threats from USAPA will be met with firm action from the company and reveal who truly is in control.

- TA will pass by very small margin

- Nicolau decision will stand

- East will be pissed because of seniority

- West will be pissed because we ended up with concessions after wasting nearly a year on the list battle and lost much leverage in negotiations as a result.

- We'll all live happily every after as long as there is not another merger. Our wounds as they are will heal, but they will sink us all in a future merger if we can't stand shoulder to shoulder as a unified group.

Take it to the bank...it will play out as I say.

Either way, the delay tactics are deplorable and are admittedly (ref A350's comments) what this is all about.

Which explains why I lost all respect for the average USAir East pilot and their alleged 'leadership' .Not that it matters to any of them.

Nevermind....I don't even know how to begin responding to such twisted logic.

I'll give it a try. 40% ? Maybe 35% or $170 hr. narrow body max. 20 yr fence. The longest you can hold up the list is maybe 5 yrs. I personaly am a Westie for life and have no desire to be based out East. 20yrs, I'd rethink that number.

Whether, in the end, USAPA wins the total election is a 50/50 shot. But in the end it delays the integration, the East pilots capture their attrition, and in their minds, they get what they were after all along.
A350

Let's see if I've got this straight; Most of the US Airways pilots are willing to delay the integration and thus a new contract, so a hundred or so pilots can upgrade? Your pilot group is either incredibly stupid or you have a serious disconnect with reality. I'm willing to bet it's the latter.

Guppie:

Not a hundred, perhaps a thousand.

A350

and we are supposed to be quaking in our boots? But don't accuse AAA pilots of stealing upgrades! All the 190's and the growth 757's that the arbitrator Dana Eischien deemed AWA pilots were entitled to 33% of, now suddenly belong to AAA pilots exclusively...A350 didn't you claim at one point that you don't have a dog in this fight? You guys are losing respect industry wide. AAA pilots, the gift that keeps on giving.....

Latest resources

Back