• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Alaska Airlines base

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Because you are relying on rumors instead of facts.

I find it ironic that you wish to protect the LAX size, but you have no regard for the SEA pilots that are being forced from their homes. Bottom line, the company has run many different scenarios that have equal cost options for them. They wish to have SEA ETOPS, as it will give them the most flexibility for the future, but they have an equal cost solution for the short term. It is going to be up to the us to pick which option.

There is only one time a union has a position to negotiate from, and that is a release to self help. This will never happen as we are outside of Section 6. Actually why don't you ask your reps what the intent language of the ETOPS base discussion.

On a personal note, I am sick and tired of ANC pilots thinking that they are better than everyone else at this airline. You have to remember that your base makes up 13% of our pilot group. You don't run the show. DEAL WITH IT!

SF,
You make some very valid points in your argument with AK737, and I don't disagree with anything you wrote, but I think the SEA ETOPS base needs to be looked at from another perspective.

Why are we in such a hurry to set up a SEA ETOPS base? What benefit will it have for us as a pilot group to get it done quickly? I say none whatsoever. Management has said that the PDX base will stand regardless of whether we vote for a SEA ETOPS base. Unfortunately, when have we ever really been able to trust a verbal guarantee from management?

Two things will happen if we vote for a SEA ETOPS base before a PDX base opens. First, it will be a country club for a very senior group of captains. Many of whom should already be retired or should be retiring soon. They will definately stick around for the full five, vsa-ing or running their lines up to 90+, further stagnating our career progression. Second, if it gets approved before PDX has started up, management will cancel the PDX bid because they will have their productivity in SEA, haven't had to pay moving expenses, and won't have to pay to close the base later. My gut feeling is that we are being played for fools if we vote for this thing before PDX takes effect.

I just don't understand why our elected representatives are working so hard to get this done so quickly, except that SEA wants it all for themselves at the expense of the other bases. We should be sitting on this until PDX officially takes effect.

As you stated in your personal note, I agree wholeheartedly about being sick of ANC pilots and their unfounded superiority complex. Most are good guys, but there are a few that can't let go of that Arctic Eagle BS. Arctic flying is some of the easiest I have ever done, as is ETOPS flying. It isn't rocket science and you aren't a hero for landing on a 6000' runway. SEA and LAX consistently fly in more difficult environments in the lower 48 with snowstorms, thunderstorms, and extremely busy airspace. Not to mention SEA has been flying all of the SE AK stuff this past winter. I'm not advocating that SEA and LAX have better pilots, just that ANC pilots aren't some super group like a few folks with short pitot tubes would suggest. BTW, I'm ANC based.

CP out.

Kind of off subject but got a call from my union rep and Alaska is bid advancing 3 FO's out of seniority early to start March 1st !! They are picking the most senior FO's !!! There is some bad stuff going on right now..

Kind of off subject but got a call from my union rep and Alaska is bid advancing 3 FO's out of seniority early to start March 1st !! They are picking the most senior FO's !!! There is some bad stuff going on right now..

What is this "bid advancing" stuff? Bad stuff, as in bad Ju-Ju?

Pilots being displaced from Seattle to Anchorage. Forcing the most senior FO's to go first a month early..

Well....

If ALPA represented us like the IPA is representing junior UPS pilots right now (by actually banning open time at the THREAT of a furlough)... we furloughees would probably still be on property and you Seattleites wouldn't have to come up to nasty 'ol ANC because most of us furloughees are either from ANC or actually want to be here!

Food for thought MEC....

Chief has some very valid points. I do not see the harm in sitting on this issue for awhile.

Stated from the top..... 1-2 percent is there current expected growth for 2010 and that will be almost completely from retired 400's being replaced by 800's.. No surprises here ..

I also heard personally, how surprised they have been with the amount of open time being picked. They want to do allot more with less and we seem to be obliging.

The real problems though are guys building lines to 90 hours, VSA and the over 60'ers... The 90 hour deal and VSA seem to be things that we could fix in negotiations, but the over 60 issue.. Well its thier right, I don't want to take that away, but come on! How much more coin do you need! We have 106 families trying to survive here.
Goodluck to all.

Latest resources

Back