• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Alaska Airlines base

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One other issue that I worry about with the PDX base and the SEA ETOPS base is the efficiency gained in the trip pairings. Right now there are many trips with either deadheads, long layovers, or inefficient flying days on them. They say they wanted these two bases to increase the efficiency.

In looking at the March flying, there is 33,750 Credit Hours and 32,162 block hours. That means that there is 1588 hours of soft time in the trips. Do the math. That is several pilots worth of inefficiency built in the trips. Once these bases open, how much soft time will be eliminated? Granted, not all the soft time can be eliminated, but there is a fair amount that can. This could definitely affect the staffing picture as well.

What do you think?

The MEC Scheduling Chair. said when they ran the scheduling model for all the bases that a SEA ETOPS would be 30% more efficient than PDX but PDX ETOPS with the current schedules would be 60% more efficient than LAX. The problem is that with so much of the shell game going on with marketing that trying to build lines without the higher soft times is getting more and more difficult.
I would also imagine seeing some gate and property space changes in PDX
to allow for a new base and major cost savings to go with it, we shall see.

Last edited:
One other issue that I worry about with the PDX base and the SEA ETOPS base is the efficiency gained in the trip pairings. Right now there are many trips with either deadheads, long layovers, or inefficient flying days on them. They say they wanted these two bases to increase the efficiency.

In looking at the March flying, there is 33,750 Credit Hours and 32,162 block hours. That means that there is 1588 hours of soft time in the trips. Do the math. That is several pilots worth of inefficiency built in the trips. Once these bases open, how much soft time will be eliminated? Granted, not all the soft time can be eliminated, but there is a fair amount that can. This could definitely affect the staffing picture as well.

What do you think?

I asked Gary Beck that exact question and he said it would not cause any reduction in the current number of pilots. Pilots will be recalled with an increase in hard block hours irregardless of the soft town inherent in the schedule.

Mookie

I asked Gary Beck that exact question and he said it would not cause any reduction in the current number of pilots. Pilots will be recalled with an increase in hard block hours irregardless of the soft town inherent in the schedule.

Mookie

Unfortunately, that makes no sense mathematically. Monthly maximums are based on credit hours. If there is less soft time, then for any given line it needs to have more block time to equal the same value. Therefore, less pilots can fly more block in any given schedule.

Unfortunately, that makes no sense mathematically. Monthly maximums are based on credit hours. If there is less soft time, then for any given line it needs to have more block time to equal the same value. Therefore, less pilots can fly more block in any given schedule.

A point I made myself to him, but again, that's what he said, and he is one of the people who decides when guys get called back. take it for what it's worth. I'd suggest emailing him directly on last class and ask that same question. his turnaround for answers is usually less than 24 hrs.

mookie

Well....

If ALPA represented us like the IPA is representing junior UPS pilots right now (by actually banning open time at the THREAT of a furlough)... we furloughees would probably still be on property and you Seattleites wouldn't have to come up to nasty 'ol ANC because most of us furloughees are either from ANC or actually want to be here!

Food for thought MEC....

What?!? That's just silly. Fairly represent your FOs when you can screw them for extra pay for the senior guys? Pshaw!

No, the PDX base will happen on June 1, even though the SEA LEC reps and the LAX Capt Rep want to kill it. 3 of the 6 voting reps want PDX to die in order to save all the lines they can for SEA. The SEA reps position is "to heck with the other bases, we want every line we can grab for ourselves, regardless of what we have to give away to secure it." The LAX Capt who voted for SEA ETOPS must be smoking crack, because there is no logic behind his gut feeling that if LAX no longer has to do ETOPS, then the company will grow the base into mexico. I might ask, with what extra jets? With what extra pilots? LAX will shrink, the company has told the MEC it will shrink, if there is a SEA ETOPS base, and LAX pilots can thank their own Capt rep for giving it to them for FREE.
Our contract says that we had to talk, in good faith, with the company about SEA ETOPS. These three guys (Both SEA reps and the LAX Capt rep) were determined to give away anything and everything in order to save as many lines as they could for SEA.
It is sad to see our MEC come to this - gloves off, roll call and BS casting the tie breaker. Why do some of us want to give away the farm? Suck it up SEA. When this thing comes to Mem Rat, and it will - vote NO and send these three whimps packin.
To the new PDX base - make sure you get your own council because these SEA guys want to slit your throats!

Is this per YOUR Reps who want to throw all the other bases under the bus to get as many lines as THEY can? Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

It seems the folks overlooking the lake have once again succeeded in dividing and conquering the pilot group!

Latest resources

Back