Networking

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

shon7

Am curious to see how many actually got a interview/ job through networking. I am trying to network (have not even gotten to the interview/job part but without much success).

Any tips on networking. How do you go around meeting people and making contacts. Have read the general literature on the subject which claims " the people you know - will introduce you to others -..." Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work that way.

What should I be doing? Where should I be going. I'm quite confused.

One of the best ways to network is to keep in touch with all of your flight instructors that you meet while you finish your ratings. Many of them will move on to greener pastures and those are the people that can help you. Good Luck!

The position I have now is not because of a website or any other job placement service, but due to networking.

After you spend some time in the industry, you will get to know many people. You will get acquaintances that know your ability and when you earn a living in a cockpit for a while, you become "employable." If your profile is accurate, you have a long way to go until you could be employed as a pilot. This is not an overnight process. Building your skills and abilities takes time. Building professional relationships takes time. Hang in there.

In this environment, with only a few exceptions, the only way anyone is getting interviews is through contacts at a particular company.

My advice to all, learned the hard way, is no matter what keep your network alive as the years roll on. You may get that job at Southwest and throw away your logbook and your phone list and think you've got it made for life and then 10-15 years down the line find you're out of luck while your former copilots with connections are all getting jobs.

None of my interviews came through networking. Every one of them came via applying to some H.R. person or head honcho.

I also didn't get that many interviews compared to the vast number of forests I felled for the dozens of reams of paper used in trying to get them!

Last edited:
Patience

Shon7,

Looking at your experience & amount of time I assume you are at the early stages of your flying carrier. If you are "full-time" in pursuit of a future career then your database for contacts I would assume is rather limited right now. The previous advice listed above is all good. While I didn't come up through the civilian route, contacts will prove to be important in the future but for now perserverance, patience & professionalish will do the most for you as you collect hours either through instructing or working for an employer. Every student you fly, every customer of your employer will be references for you in the future. Each of these individuals know hundreds of folks who may or may not have further contacts in the aviation world.

Stick with it, keep flying & make sure your record (flying & criminal) stays clear. That detours more folks than you could imagine. Good luck,

Shon7,

First job.

Instructing at old flight school. I did not do all my training there, but kept the chief pilot informned of my progress. Help with job one.

Second job.

Part 135 freight. Instructor I had worked with walked in a letter to chief pilot.

Third job.

In the early 90's was in hiring pool at Eagle (18 joyful months). I was working for 135 freight at the time. I did not network for Eagle interview, but a fellow pilot at the freight job told me to call Eagle to update info. Was in training 2 weeks later.

Fourth job (current and hopefully finale).

Netjets. All on my own. Did ask around to my circle of friends. Most thought I was nuts (I am).

Networking is not the only way to get a job. Networking can also provide important, and timely info that leads to a job.

As for meeting people.

I have had pilots introduce themselves, and ask me about Netjets. If I am not in a hurry. I will answer what I can. Remember not all peolple will be helpful. DO NOT let that discourage you. Some people just don't want to make time, or they are busy.

Biggest piece of advice I can give you. Fly as much as you can to fatten up your log book. Total time does not hurt you. It can be instructing, freight, pipe line.... I could go on. Also remember when you are at the airport you will meet people, and the network will begin.

Best of Luck.

:rolleyes: Hmmmmmm.........

7 Jobs.........6 networking...........1 the good old fashioned way. Lots of bugging with resumes and phone calls.

C-YA! FD75

Les Paul said:
Something taught in certain management courses:

Networking is NOT calling someone when you need something from them.

Networking is staying in touch, and always offering something to them.

Les

Amen Les. You'll lose more contact networking if all you ever do is call and ask "know of any jobs?" If you hear of a job you're not interested, think about all those you keep in touch with. Let them know because they in turn may know someone who is looking.

I've kept in touch with several members of this board and find them all fine individuals. I'll be more than happy to pass anything I hear of along to them. Down the road, should the need arise, I'm sure they'd help me out in return.

2000Flyer

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back