NetJets with only an ATP written

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
cosmotheassman said:
Just go get the ATP. With 6000 hours and no ATP, that will raise alot of questions.
What questions will it raise and why?

I have almost 6000 hours and no ATP. I have not yet applied for a job for which it was required so I have not spent the money ($1200-1500) to get it. Why should I? If I decide to leave my current job for one that requires an ATP then I will get one. Otherwise, it's just a waste of a lot of money.

IHF

Last edited:
hey aeronautic, why are you busting the guysballs. The guy works for XJ which is mesaba. The regionals dont just hand out types and most people dont feel like spending more money on this broke arse career when there making regional pay. 6000 hours isnt all that hard to accumulate while your waiting for the left seat at XJ. The guy asked a normal question and all you no-it-all morons jumped on him. Im sure he's bumed that you wouldent hire him for SIC.

Papps said:
hey aeronautic, why are you busting the guysballs. The guy works for XJ which is mesaba. The regionals dont just hand out types and most people dont feel like spending more money on this broke arse career when there making regional pay. 6000 hours isnt all that hard to accumulate while your waiting for the left seat at XJ. The guy asked a normal question and all you no-it-all morons jumped on him. Im sure he's bumed that you wouldent hire him for SIC.

I know that the regionals don't usually type SIC's - been there, done that, upgraded to get the type. But the ATP is simply a prerequisite at NJA in order to apply. And the requirement is stated on the NetJets website.

As for not spending more money to get on in this career, you have to consider the fact that in order to make advance and make more money, most of the better-paying jobs in this industry require an ATP. NetJets requires the ATP and look at the larger airlines like SWA, JetBlue, Frontier, etc. - they are requiring 121 PIC time in order to even apply. One will have to have the ATP in order to get the PIC time in order to apply for those jobs, too.

I know it can seem like a catch 22 with the ATP. But if one can't get ATP through upgrade at one's current job/carrier, it might be worth a small investment in order to reap a large return.

I hope XJpilot547 can get his ATP, either through upgrade or on his own, and have more opportunities available to him in the future.

Actually...SWA, Jetblue and Frontier DO NOT require 121 time to apply(PIC or SIC) or even to get an interview/ job...the only one that requires 121 time is going to be Airtran(i think that's the one).

What question would having 6000 hrs and no ATP raise? There are probably at least 400-500 FO's at Mesaba in the exact same situation, not to mention some others at PDT, QX, etc... I tend to be pretty optomistic and henceforth stuck around at XJ thinking it would turn around for us. Unfortunately, I might've been wrong. Sorry if my original question pissed you guys off so much. I know that there have been exceptions to certain mins at certain companies from time to time. Just curious if that was ever the case at NJ. Congrats on the new contract. Nice to see someone getting a raise for once.

XJ...I know exactly where you are coming from. I was one of those 4-5 year FO's at Mesaba and finally decided it was time to take a chance and move on. However, I got my atp years ago just because I believed it would make me more marketable than someone with just a commercial ticket. With all the people on the street nowadays with types and tons of PIC time, why would southwest or jetblue hire a regional guy with a commercial when there is so much more to pick from. My advice, go get the atp (all atps can do it for you in a few days) and make yourself more attactive to wherever it is you want to go. If thats NJ, great but I hope for your sake that the domicile thing works out for you. Just my 2 cents....

Hey don't forget about the parties in initial. That's what i came here for.

Latest resources

Back