• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NavinRJohnson

Registered Gorer
Majors to Netjets?

All: Thought I'd throw another 'what should I do?' question to see other people's ideas about this...

I'm currently a FO at CAL, and have been onboard for 2 yrs now. Based on current movement, I could be a 737 Capt as early as next year, which is pretty amazing. However QOL is not what I would like, and 12 days off with 100+ hrs in the plane (lots of deadhead) is already getting old. 7 and 7 with a reduced flying load sounds really nice right now. Basically CAL is just not as enjoyable as I envisioned it.

I would love to relocate back out West again, and with your TA, that might be able to happen. Since I'm in the EWR area, I could work TEB until getting out to BOI or somewhere similar. I currently make slightly more than a Netjets newhire would, so making a plunge wouldn't hurt too bad financially. I'm 37 and have quite a few years of flying left.

CAL pros:
Pay over the long term Moving up seniority fast
Perhaps more stable (very arguable)
New contract might be good (arguable again)
CAL cons:
work rules
time off
domiciles (desire to live west w/o a difficult commute. I'm not holding my breath on getting a LAX base)

I used to love flying into FBO's. Varied flying also appeals to me, and I feel I could hobnob w/ clients pretty easily. I'm out to make a reasonable living with good time off to do the things I like to do with my wife and kids.

Call me crazy, but I'm serious about leaving the majors if Netjets would take me. What do you think? Should I be patient and wait it out at CAL? If I leave, I feel it should be soon since I'm not a spring chicken any more. Thanks for any info/advice....

Hasta,

Navin

Last edited:
If you like the "FBO Scene" type of flying, and want to have more flexibility as far as domiciles I would say go for NJA. A lot of pilots are stuck in the airliner mentality and will not be happy anywhere but an airline, but it sounds like you are open minded and would maybe enjoy the flying at NJA.

The only downside I can see is maybe down the road several years. I don't know what the senior schedules are like at CAL now, but QOL may be better there when you get closer to retirement age although it may suck right now. At NJA you can pretty much plan on the same schedule rules until you retire, not that they are bad right now. 7 on 7 off and 2, 3 or 4 vacations per year (based on years of service) is not half bad.

Last edited:
Why not throw your application in at Netjets and see what happens? I know of a few JB pilots who have made the jump recently because airline flying was not what they had expected.

I certainly think you should apply sooner than later because the new TA could cause a stampeed with the significant pay raise for junior people. The domicile issue will be another source of interest with nearly 100 total domiciles.

I am a former airline pilot myself and I really enjoy my position on the corporate side. I say go for it and at least get an interview and decide from there. NJA is a quality operator and I think you would like it based on your interests.

Good luck.

Navin,

You are in a good position to evaluate your decision, that is for sure. My only question would be have you flown the 757/767 at CAL yet? Maybe flying some of the international stuff might appeal to you. Its generally a much easier lifestyle that all the domestic craziness.

I guess what I'm saying is try to get as much out of your experience at CAL that you can so you can make a really informed decision...cuz once you give up that seniority number, thats it.

Good luck!

Navin,

You are in a good position to evaluate your decision, that is for sure. My only question would be have you flown the 757/767 at CAL yet? Maybe flying some of the international stuff might appeal to you. Its generally a much easier lifestyle that all the domestic craziness.

I guess what I'm saying is try to get as much out of your experience at CAL that you can so you can make a really informed decision...cuz once you give up that seniority number, thats it.

Good luck!

Looks like he might already be on the 757/767 at CAL looking at his profile. It sounds like domicile, quality of life (7/7 vs. other schedules) and variety of flying might be some deciding factors.

Thanks for the replies... The info is greatly appreciated!

Fabin, you are right, I know a lot of people would want to be in my shoes. FYI, I'm already on the 75/76, which is the irony. The locations we go to are good, granted, but doing 12 transatlantics (six 3 day trips) a month isn't doing much for my sleep cycle. It truly is a lot of time over the pond. By the time I get home and try to reintegrate with my family, I'm a big fat piece of crap. I think my body's time zone is somewhere over Greenland.

Plus, no trip rigs, and int'l per diem is horrible, especially considering the weak dollar. We cannot drop trips, and our bidding system is an absolute disaster. I'll stop the rant. This is not a CAL bash.

I do know that my life is better than on the slave ship 73's, but I just don' know if this is the fit for me. My other option would be to try to get onto the 777, but I would be junior forever...

I would be giving up a huge amount of seniority if I left. One of the biggest questions is can ALPA really negotiate a better contract in 08? A really tough call, hence my query on flight info....

Navin

Last edited:
My friends who fly for NJA love it. The situation will improve dramatically for newhires if the proposed TA passes. Check this out if you haven't already seen it:

http://airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/fractional.html

From your tone I think you are already making a good case for at least trying to secure an interview - why wouldn't you? If you are looking at QOL and you can handle 7 days out, then 7/7 could be a much better schedule for you (especially if you take one week off in between - 21 days off in a row). If you want variety, you can't do much better than fractional flying where you can hit any airport that can accomodate your aircraft. If you want to schmooze with people, you will get more face time with celebrities than photographers at US Weekly.

Just remember that no operator is perfect. NJA is not perfect. CAL is not perfect. SWA is not perfect. UPS is not perfect. Sounds like airline flying is not living up to your expectations...

It comes down to QOL and pay in my book - once you feel good about those factors then other things will sort themselves out.... Start by getting yourself a NJA interview and you can evaluate it from there - it doesn't hurt to check it out.

Last edited:
On Your Six:

Thanks for the link and the advice. I do think you are right, and it certainly wouldn't hurt to go interview and see what they're all about.

R/

Navin

On Your Six:

Thanks for the link and the advice. I do think you are right, and it certainly wouldn't hurt to go interview and see what they're all about.

R/

Navin

Check this out too if you haven't already seen it:

http://www.netjets.com/default.asp

Netjets has a fleet bigger than most airlines. This is not a fly-by-night operation. Again, it ain't perfect and people will always find reasons to knock it (tour schedule, small airplanes, adhoc nature of the flying vs. fixed routes, etc.). I think it takes an open mind to consider fractional flying. Many former 121 pilots love fractional flying and yet some prefer more structure found in the airline environment - whatever floats your boat.

From a pay perspective, NJA is getting better, and for newhires the TA (if it passes) could be a bonanza relative to other alternatives. It certainly is respectable relative to even some of the majors and I think many legacy pilots will take notice if the TA passes.

New aircraft, 7/7 schedule (if that is what you want), unlimited route variety, a better pay/benefits package, interesting passengers and relative security knowing you would be flying for the de facto industry leader vs. a follower - that's a pretty compelling combination.

All that said, I would hurry up and apply if you are interested - I think the new TA will cause a flood of applications if it passes. I don't work for NJA, but I have friends who do and they are quite happy.

Navin,

Sorry to hear the Intl. stuff is beating you up. Good luck on making a decision that suits you and your family. When I was furloughed and flying 135, all the Netjets crews were fun to hang with at the FBOs and their airplanes are all very nice.

OR you could always apply to DAL...we treat you better internationally! Designated rest seat/bunks....trip rigs...more intl. routes...good PBS, etc. ;) Had to throw a shameless plug in there.

In any case, good luck to you!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back