• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Netjets - The final stop?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
....A little reality check is in order for most here. NetJets is just as much of a gamble as ANY other company in the aviation industry.Period. People tend to forget that the industry CONSTANTLY cycles, and there is just no way to ensure that NetJets or ANY COMPANY will be a feasable "final destination." Sure, it looks great now, but United looked great 10 years ago. FLOPS looked great 7 years ago. NetJets looked pretty pathetic until VERY RECENTLY. Only very recently did they get a contract which, I hate to break it to you, is not effective for "infinity and beyond," just as a number of other seemingly "unbeatable" contracts have led to less than desirable work conditions later.
I would certainly consider it a gamble to deem NetJets a "final destination" when they were a pretty low choice until very recently. There is a risk EVERYWHERE, but if you're going to "risk" do it where the LONG TERM prospects have a HISTORY of cycling back to the good (long standing major airlines), not the flavor of the month where you will spend your entire career away from your family in ridiculous blocks of 7 days. Regardless of the resulting scheduled days off (for NOW) it is insane to think that you will spend the bulk of your LIFE away from your family in blocks that LONG. When you are in your 50s and 60s it especially will get to you. You will NEVER be away that long at a major airline, regardless of seniority.
Bottom line, no matter what the flaming retorts...the contract is NEW and the long term history speaks for itself.
7 days is a long time to expect a spouse to "hold down the fort" regardless of days off after (where you spend half of it recovering from work, and the other half catching up on all the crap you couldn't do all week...not exactly the "vacation" that those so desperate to have you look up to them want you to believe).

Not to call you out or anything, but you should change your name to “The Voice of the Obvious”. No one here is presuming to know what is in the future of this very instable environment we call careers. Who knows what’s going to happen 5, 10, 30 years from now. It is all a crap shoot. You just have to take an educated guess and run with it.

The bottom line is that NetJets is dominant in the fractional industry, currently in possession with over 75% of the market, backed by Berkshire Hathaway and a good business model. That is as about as stable as it comes in this day in age. I can’t think of any airline that could have ever made that claim.

As far as the 7 days out comment. Yes it is long, but it’s nice to come back to 7 days off as well. If you don’t want to be out that long, you have the option not to.

There were countless times in the airlines of having a period of a 3 or 4 day trip with 1 or 2 days of in between. Well if you are commuting and have to travel on a day off, there were times I couldn’t make it home and just had to stay in the crash pad. That to me doesn’t count as time off. So yes, in the airlines you do stay away from home longer than 7 days.

The bottom line is that NetJets is dominant (at the moment) in the fractional industry, currently in possession with over 75% of the market, backed by Berkshire Hathaway and a good business model. That is as about as stable as it comes in this day in age.

RIGHT NOW in this particular CYCLE. I am saying to say it is THE place to RETIRE (as the subject of this thread) is and extremely poor suggestion.

RIGHT NOW in this particular CYCLE. I am saying to say it is THE place to RETIRE (as the subject of this thread) is and extremely poor suggestion.

I agree that we are always in a cycle. What would your suggestion be for the guy that started the thread? What is your reason to choose that over NJA?

I agree that we are always in a cycle. What would your suggestion be for the guy that started the thread? What is your reason to choose that over NJA?

I've ALREADY answered that. In a gamble, I will always lean toward the long term HISTORY of a company's benefits for its pilots. NJA does NOT have a history of being a company worthy of being chosen a RETIREMENT place. Plenty HAVE however had long, good paying careers with major airlines that rival that of the new, temporary contract at NJA.

I've ALREADY answered that. In a gamble, I will always lean toward the long term HISTORY of a company's benefits for its pilots. NJA does NOT have a history of being a company worthy of being chosen a RETIREMENT place. Plenty HAVE however had long, good paying careers with major airlines that rival that of the new, temporary contract at NJA.

Besides SWA, UPS and FedX, which airline has a great long term history of stable employment to include a period where there we no furloughs, Chapter 11's, mergers, labor unrest?

I would not bet on a stable long term career with any legacy right now...and having said that, aviation is not the best bet to expect no bumps along the way. I will take my pay, invest it, and prepare for the worse....

Working for Deltanited is not worth the gray hairs that would come with it....

Voice, just curious, what CYCLE exactly, are you speaking of for NJA? In a 21-year history of this company, there was a very brief period where a few pilots were furloughed. As far as company growth, at least for the past 15 years, it's been nothing but positive.

I can tell you that I've personally flown with pilots coming from both the regionals AND the majors that have been through several furloughs and one or two bankruptcies. And quite often, when furloughs happen at the majors, they go thousands deep. I'm also thinking that Pan Am, TWA, Eastern, etc... were big stable airlines for many years, yet where are they now? This 'stability' you speak of in the majors, at least in my perception, doesn't seem to exist.

I will grant you that in all honesty, aviation as a whole is a crap shoot. When will American furlough another 6000? Will Southwest be profitable (or in existence) 10 years from now? And yes, will NJA still be dominant or even around in 10 years? I can't say with any more certainty than you can what's going to happen.

But you seem to want to look at trends. Fine by me. So I say again, over the past 21 years or so at NJA it's been almost completely up. You're right, a mere 10 years ago it was a pathetic place to work. But each succeeding contract, even the bad ones, increased our compensation and bettered our work rules. Our history has almost always been moving in a positive direction. Now it seems to be a really excellent place to work. You seem to think it won't last. Maybe. But it could also just as easily continue to get better and better. The thing is, you keep saying 'CYCLES', but we haven't experienced any sort of true down cycle yet, so based on your own reasoning, NJA should be one of the safest bets going.

Hey look, fractional flying isn't for everyone. I also know of a couple folks working here that HATE it, and can't wait to get to the airlines. If they aren't happy, then they need to go for the gusto and try to get where they will be happy. That really is most important in life. I'm not sure if you fly for one of the fractionals, but if you do, sounds like you're completely miserable with the whole thing. I hope you're working hard at finding a place to work that will make you happy, whether it's union or non-union. I do think your reasoning that the majors will be the most STABLE choice is flawed, but if it's what you're most comfortable with, then go for it!

By the way, the 7/7 schedule works just fine for me. Yes, I do have some catching up to do with chores around the house when I get home, but I suspect that I'd run into a similar situation at the majors too. But in spite of that, I'm getting plenty of rest in my time off and still have adequate time to visit my friends and family, or enjoy my hobbies. Not sure where you're getting your info from that the 7/7 schedule is a hardship. If you really want to maximize your time with your family, get out of aviation altogether.

Also, with so many crew bases around the country, the vast majority of our pilots don't have to commute. Are you considering that when you claim that the schedules at the majors allow for more time with your family? Your tours may be shorter, but if you have to sacrifice a day or two on each end for commuting, as so many do, I'm not sure that's terribly conducive for good home life either.

Like I said, if the majors are your thing, go for it! But I'm in my upper 30's now, and I've long since discovered that the 'greener grass' syndrome doesn't always work out as hoped for.

Voice, just curious, what CYCLE exactly, are you speaking of for NJA? In a 21-year history of this company, there was a very brief period where a few pilots were furloughed. As far as company growth, at least for the past 15 years, it's been nothing but positive.

You're right there's no cycle where NJA is concerned because their pay has ALWAYS been low (regardless of seniority) until like, last month, so I guess I should put all my eggs in THAT basket for the brief time it is likely to last.
:rolleyes:
"Growth" is great for the bigwigs but means nothing whatsoever to me (or you for that matter) unless it is passed along in PAY. NJA has been "growing" for a long time now, long before they decided to throw you a bone for a while (before they decide "oh yeah, we can run like this). I love how they always throw out Warren Buffett's name like that means anything to the pilots. His name was there all that time you guys may SQUAT, and Wal-Mart is a mega corp too...what does that mean to its employees. Enjoy it now...or rather SAVE it now.

Voice....it sounds like you're a bit jealous. Sorry you can't share in our pay raise but you'll have your chance in the very near future.

I hope you participate. That's if your management team allows you to participate. You'll know what I mean soon enough.

...and yet here you (and many like you) are...on your "vacation" needing to justify why your job and time off are so great. Not how I'd spend MY "vacation"

Actually, smart a$$, I am staying at one of our comfortable Hilton hotels, on a 14.5 hour overnight, with our included internet.

What a tool you are.

You're right there's no cycle where NJA is concerned because their pay has ALWAYS been low (regardless of seniority) until like, last month, so I guess I should put all my eggs in THAT basket for the brief time it is likely to last.
:rolleyes:
"Growth" is great for the bigwigs but means nothing whatsoever to me (or you for that matter) unless it is passed along in PAY. NJA has been "growing" for a long time now, long before they decided to throw you a bone for a while (before they decide "oh yeah, we can run like this). I love how they always throw out Warren Buffett's name like that means anything to the pilots. His name was there all that time you guys may SQUAT, and Wal-Mart is a mega corp too...what does that mean to its employees. Enjoy it now...or rather SAVE it now.

Voice, I'll quit posting at you after this. Why? Because there simply is no way to have a meaningful conversation with someone who has almost zero facts right about NJA.
Warren Buffet has been involved with NJA for a relatively short time. Back when we made our lowest wages he wasn't around.

NJA has almost always been growing. I think you're intentionally switching topics to try and make sense of your arguments, which really hold no water. I believe you were originally talking about STABILITY. You said the majors have a better history of stability than NJA. I would counter that we have folks who have been on the seniority list here for over 21 years. I wonder if they believe NJA is a stable company. And in the course of those 21 years, we've been in growth mode for most of it. And we still are. Every year we make more money (the company) and expand our fleet and client base. Geez Voice! How much more of a stable company do you want?

As for money (pilot compensation), I can't argue with you about how we were paid prior to 2005. Pathetic is one word that comes to mind. But even before that, our wages were coming up, even if only very modestly. But at least we weren't going backwards. Many people in the industry, and plenty on these very message boards, claimed that we would bankrupt the company in short order if the company gave in and paid what we were asking. And when we got it, lo and behold, we didn't just make a profit, we made RECORD PROFITS, and quite literally almost overnight (no, I'm sure the company wasn't cooking the books before that to try and show how they couldn't pay us:rolleyes: ).
Now, we've increased compensation more, but not at the same level we did in 2005. And here we are again, with someone like you claiming it'll be short-lived.

So I ask you, what, in the history of NJA (not the airlines mind you!), makes you think this company is merely a flash in the pan and our pay will be short-lived? We started small and got bigger? Our pay started small and got bigger? So what? How big was SWA 21 years ago? They seem to be doing alright, even with employee compensation going up all those years. Do you think it's possible NJA has a good business model, and that we may have at least another 21 good years in front of us?

Your arguments seem to be based on bitter emotions, rather than anything actually based in the facts of NJA. I still agree with you that fractional flying isn't for everyone, but if you're looking for stability and good wages, NJA is just as good as SWA and maybe better than United, Delta, et al....

Good luck to you in whatever endeavour brings you the most happiness.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back