Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

squonk

Who is the gaucho, amigo?
Haven't seen many posts from the vocal management group. The couple I did see were supportive. Now that it's out there, how is it being taken at HQ?

Do you see it as mission accomplished or do you think the company gave up too much? I have a feel for the pilots between the two boards, but just wondering what the rank and file are feeling.

squonk said:
Haven't seen many posts from the vocal management group. The couple I did see were supportive. Now that it's out there, how is it being taken at HQ?

Do you see it as mission accomplished or do you think the company gave up too much? I have a feel for the pilots between the two boards, but just wondering what the rank and file are feeling.

The general feeling on the floor is that we are glad its over.

I'm happy to see the pilots get a fair and generous raise, they definitely deserve it for their contributions.

The cost of the TA should be bearable over time. We will obviously need to find more efficiencies in the operation to help pay for the agreement. Management fees will probably need to be raised as well.

My two concerns now that it is over is how NJI will be treated and whether we can come back together and work towards repairing the damage done over the last year. Some of the comments on this board make me skeptical on both counts. Let's hope cooler heads prevail.

I think the best summary was posted in another thread....something along the lines that in any good agreement, neither side is entirely happy with the solution, but both can live with it. That seems to be what we have here.

FamilyGuy said:
T We will obviously need to find more efficiencies in the operation to help pay for the agreement. Management fees will probably need to be raised as well.

If this management team can't find more efficiencies in operations, then they are blind. There is so much idiotic scheduling occuring on a daily basis that it baffles the mind.
And management fees were already raised years ago to "pay for the pilot's raise."

Family Guy

We don't need to bring anyone "in line" at NJI, nor do we need to be creating any animosity, but the NJI crews do need to realize that the record states that the only reason for their being is that Mr Santulli was "forced" into not having a union.

That said, in court, outside of an LOA agreed to over the craft; it won't fly. I don't know how Local 284 ever agreed to it before, but it has cost every pilot here with more than two years seniority literally thousands of dollars in lossed earning potential already.

There was no irrepairable damage after the football players strike, the baseball strike, the umpires strike nor any of the numerous strikes in specialized areas of industry. Besides, we never went on strike.

People have a short memory for conflict, witness the number of veterans who bought Japanese cars in the early '70s, some of them who were at Pearl Harbor.

We need to keep our emotions under control here, and without trying to impersonate Dr. Phil, we need to "keep it real". Conflicts whether perceived or based on reality need to taken up as challenges, not obstacles and sorted out. The NJI crews are great people, they work hard, as we do and they have long tours to remote parts of the globe. Nobody is doubting their professionalism, presentation of the product, their safety record and certainly not the ability of their equipment to get the job done at the most elite of standards. We just want the same treatment and a chance to grow based on loyalty and tenure.

Its not "pro-union, anti-union rhetoric". If you've got two kids and you favor one over the other, the one less favored will probably end up on dope!

Whether you like it or not, the union has been a rebellious teenager, but you guys in management created this problem. I am telling you this as a friend, not some hate mongering, spitting union sterotype out of the movie Hoffa.Management, has to manage a way to turn off the hate, by allowing this new Tentative Agreement time to succeed. If Mr Santulli goes to the Carolinas to give "bad" news it would be a big mistake. He needs to show the crews of NJI the benefits of bridging a gap in our communications and strengthening our product by understanding the way all of us do our jobs.

We have talked before about a homogenous product. The aircraft don't even have to be the same type, but the service expectations and behaviors of the crew should be maintained at some level of predictability. We need to streamline those behaviors so that the customer can know what to expect and feel more confident in the value of their expenditure.

Back on the contract itself. It will pass with a startling majority "yes" vote. No question about it. This is the first step in getting people unified again and supporting the cause. The new "cause" is, showing up to work proud, prepared to work hard, prepared to deal with stressful situations calmly and politely with high standards of personal grooming and presentation of the equipment we fly.

You can also be proud to know that our elected union leadership has asked for only the most professional etiquette when dealing with NJI crews and has told us not to engage in any possible conflict with any non-unionised fractional.

Don't worry, it will all work out!

Last edited:
Familyguy;

My two concerns now that it is over is how NJI will be treated and whether we can come back together and work towards repairing the damage done over the last year. Some of the comments on this board make me skeptical on both counts. Let's hope cooler heads prevail.

I can tell you our perspective on this. I have flown at least one guaranteed G-IV/V owner over the last four tours. No matter what you see on this belly ache board, when it comes time for the wheels in the well, it is all business. That goes for NJI and NJA. To most of these owners it is a seamless transition from the big jet to the barbie jet.

I think after the ruffled feathers and things settle down all will be OK on this front.

Absolutely agree. From my friend who is a flight attendant over there; not everyone likes not having the protections and work rules offered by a union!

There are some that are quietly grateful for a change.

From the conversations and e-mails I have had in the short days since the release of the TA, those who would be VERY unhappy with a union shop at NJI are already planning their retirement or job change (as appropriate).

Most are reserving judgement until after this week's visit from RTS and the NJI management reaction. Many believe the final hand has not yet been played.

I, for one, thought I saw a large woman warming up her vocal chords.

gutshotdraw said:
From the conversations and e-mails I have had in the short days since the release of the TA, those who would be VERY unhappy with a union shop at NJI are already planning their retirement or job change (as appropriate).

Making that many more seats available earlier on isn't going to disappoint 2300 plus pilots over at NJA.

The musical chairs song is about to be played.

Hey Gutshot,

When is the big pow-wow with Santulli? If you're in attendance, maybe you could fill us in with the gouge?

Latest resources

Back