NetJets Interview Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
be-400xpdriver said:
2.4% is what the factory test pilots can do with perfect flying and a perfect brand new airplane. The faa figures you are not as good as test pilot (unless you work for xjt) and your plane is not in perfect shape. So they do a .8% subtraction for pilot technique and for the plane and come up with 1.6% net climb gradient

OK, the math adds up & the concept makes sense, but what is the source regulation that ties a 1.6% climb gradient to the minimun required for a VFR departure???

Thanks again,

Wacopilot said:
[quote=RNObased]Max Power,
I don't fly a little jet for NJA, I fly the bigger ones, and the performance is very very good. However graident numbers are still in play.

I guess the point I need to make a little better is this. You come to NJA you don't have a book lining out the 20 or so airports that you fly into on a regular basis. You will hit 20 different airport on given tour, easy. This isn't 121 flying, not even close."

I'm about to start at NetJets and my airline flew to 123 airports.....and yes, we did have the numbers for all of them. You guys are dorks.....use your off time to golf, fish, or anything else that is normal. I sure hope this isn't the flightdeck conversation I get to look forward to..... RNObased, maybe you will be my instructor but since I flew an airplane bigger than yours, do I get to teach you??????

Awesome

Waco.

Waco, That wasn't the point that I was trying to make. Re-read what I posted and go from there. All I was saying is crack a book.

Ah, nevermind you read what you want to read. Do you feel cool now Waco??? Dork..

Last edited:
VVJM265 said:
OK, the math adds up & the concept makes sense, but what is the source regulation that ties a 1.6% climb gradient to the minimun required for a VFR departure???

Thanks again,

There is no reg. that says VFR climb requirment is 1.6% It is the minimum climb requirment to comply with how the plane was certified part 25, oie 2nd segmant. So if it is VFR all you have to meet is the maximum take off wt. to meet climb requirments chart, 1.6%. If you are too heavy then it is like not haveing enough runway, you cant go.

I'll never feel cool around you RNObased....you fly the "big planes to thousands of airports" Lighten up......I was just picking on you. And yes, I will read any book you tell me to read. Now, back to that Jessica Simpson thing......... yummy.

Waco

be-400xpdriver said:
There is no reg. that says VFR climb requirment is 1.6% It is the minimum climb requirment to comply with how the plane was certified part 25, oie 2nd segmant. So if it is VFR all you have to meet is the maximum take off wt. to meet climb requirments chart, 1.6%. If you are too heavy then it is like not having enough runway, you cant go.

be-400xpdriver,

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve been digging on this one for a few days because I’ve never seen the 1.6% climb gradient used. Think I’ve finally figured in out.

The way I was trained, the way I taught in the C-26, and the way we teach in the Navy ME syllabus is essentially this: if taking off into VMC, regardless if IFR or VFR, the game plan for a single engine scenario after takeoff is essentially see and avoid, declare an emergency, and turn down wind for the full stop. This presumes that the aircraft is at or under MGTOW and all runway distance requirements are met.

If taking off into IMC, I’ve always been of the mindset that if the charts show that you can’t make the SID climb gradient (200’/NM or as published) on a single engine then you better take on less weight, weather that is gas, pax, or cargo is the aircraft commander’s call. I can’t find that in a reg anywhere, but it certainly is conservative and will keep you from smacking into a mountain.

The only place I see the 0.8 reduction mentioned in FAR 25.115, which states:
(b) The net takeoff flight path data must be determined so that they represent the actual takeoff flight paths (determined in accordance with §25.111 and with paragraph (a) of this section) reduced at each point by a gradient of climb equal to—
(1) 0.8 percent for two-engine airplanes;

To me, this says that the net flight path is calculated as actual minus 0.8% gradient for each segment.

So, for 2nd segment, the net is calculated as 2.4% - 0.8% = 1.6%
For 3rd segment, the net is calculated as 1.2% - 0.8% = 0.4%.

Therefore, the 1.6% only applies to the 2nd segment to 400’, or clear of obstacles, as you stated.

Found a good chart on Fig 14-2 of AC 25-7 that shows this. It really seems to me that this is just a safety margin, probably to account for pilot technique, old airplanes, etc as suggested in your previous post, but the aircraft still has to be able to actually climb at 2.4% & 1.8%. It does give you obstacle clearance, if you take the time to compute the distance out from the runway, height of the obstruction and then crunch the numbers in the charts.

Hope this helps others who might be scratching their heads on this one. I’ve sure if I missed something, others will chime in…

Fly safe all,
VVJM265

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back