NetJets Interview Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RNObased said:
Nope never been one. But I guess if I had, then I would have an excuse for not knowing this basic stuff that I knew when I got my intrument rating.
At my airline, we had something called an Airport Analysis Manual, which gave takeoff, climb, and approach weights for each airport we went into, which had the required climb gradients built in. Some airports/runways would have special engine-out departure procedures. We never had to deal with figuring out climb gradients, so after several years and several thousand hours, you tend to forget stuff like that. Here, we use it every day, so it's kinda hard to forget.

Captgimp, there is also a net and gross, plus the missed approach climb gradient. I was asked a combination of these numbers in my interview. Sorry I don't remember which combination they asked me but they aren't hard to remember after a little review

Good luck

P.S. Ignore RNObased, apparently he/she is one of those super pilots that never forget anything and is never wrong.

thanks to all for the responses, except for RNObased. Like ultra grump said this suff is easy to forget. In the 121 world where i have been, the numbers are already there for you if the runway analysis manual. I'm just trying to get myself refreshed on it. d91papa, i flew it at xj

Obviously RNO doesn't have any 121 time. We fly by the numbers if it says we can do it we do it if it says we can't we don't. what the hell is 1.6 or 3.3 supposed to tell you. I guess when you fly a little navajo or beech jet those numbers are important but when you fly something bigger those numbers mean nothing.

Gimp if prepping for an interview know the 1.6/3.3 and then also think of how you can improve your gradient if you don't meet the required. This was asked in my last interview. A fuel stop was the final answer he was asking for, ie. reduce t/o weight.

Baja.

Max Powers said:
what the hell is 1.6 or 3.3 supposed to tell you. I guess when you fly a little navajo or beech jet those numbers are important but when you fly something bigger those numbers mean nothing.

Now this is quite possibly the STUPIDEST thing I have read in a long time.

You really don't know this??? I honestly find that unbelieveable..... And you say you have 5700 hours. This is basic instrument flying knowledge.

1.6/3.3, it's all meaningless in a piston. It's not basic IFR stuff. It's basic turbojet stuff. Go ahead, show me a light piston twin with a second-segment climb chart. Hey, I think there may have been one in my C172 AFM when I was learning to fly. :rolleyes: I came to Netjets with no jet experience and had never heard a thing about second segment climb stuff. But you know what, it's real easy to learn.

Max Powers said:
Obviously RNO doesn't have any 121 time. We fly by the numbers if it says we can do it we do it if it says we can't we don't. what the hell is 1.6 or 3.3 supposed to tell you. I guess when you fly a little navajo or beech jet those numbers are important but when you fly something bigger those numbers mean nothing.

Max Power,
I don't fly a little jet for NJA, I fly the bigger ones, and the performance is very very good. However graident numbers are still in play.

I guess the point I need to make a little better is this. You come to NJA you don't have a book lining out the 20 or so airports that you fly into on a regular basis. You will hit 20 different airport on given tour, easy. This isn't 121 flying, not even close. Thinking on your feet and the running of performace numbers are everyday deals. Dispatch gives you stuff, but you better double check everything.

One of my biggest complaints as a training capt is people not taking the time to look up simple things before they come to me with it. A person will retain something much better if they look it up rather then just taking the simple route and asking. And retention is what I'm going for. That was my issue with the guy who started this thread, 5 mins in the AIM and he would have had his answer.

Sorry if I pissed off you 121 guys....

If one were to look at the performance section of their respective AFM, couldn't they get a good idea of what weight/temperature/altitude begins to give them less than 3.3%, the more restrictive value? I.E., if at 30 degrees C and 5000 feet field alt., one can launch at MTOW and achieve 4.9 % climb gradient OEI, then performance with friendlier environmental numbers can be assumed. (I just pulled these numbers out of the air..FOR TRAINING PURPOSES ONLY!)

(OBTW senior RNO, I didn't know you were the Sundance Kid when I said you were cheating, If I draw on you, you'll kill me! )

I don't know....I didn't appreciate 1.6 vs 3.3 until AFTER getting hired by Executive Jet. Guess I spent too much time flying "puddle jumpers". I survived and other will too. There are a bunch of other things I guess the Chuck Yeagers of NetJets know that I haven't even phathomed yet....The check is still direct deposited evey other Friday....just the same as the Yeagers.

So what if you don't know the difference now.....you will learn it along with alot of other things!!!!!!

The Climb Gradient stuff....you'll learn in 30 mnutes. Then you'll be an "EXPERT" like the other guys on this thread.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back