• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NetJets Interview Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
1.6 VFR does not provide any kind of obstacle clearance assurance.

Interesting that there are pilots out there that think it does.

If I could only make a 1.6 I'd be concerned regaurdless of the wx.

Do you really want to depart ASE knowing you can barely make 1.6%?

Just because its legal doesn't mean is the smart thing to do.

A lesson many people in various positions at various factionals should learn

A 3.3% gradient is the nominal climb gradient required to keep you away from the minimal 1:40 (2.5%) Obstacle Obstruction Surface (OIS), even during a diverse departure, and is equal to 200’/NM [200’ / (6076’/NM) * 100% = 3.29%]. This is mentioned in Sec 5-2-5 of the AIM, in chapter 2 of the Instrument Procedures Handbook, and in the TERPS.

My question is where are you guys getting guys getting 1.6% from? I don’t even see it in FAR 23 or 25. Unless I missed something, these are the minimum requirements for twin engine airplanes:

FAR 23NORMAL, UTILITY, ACROBATIC, AND COMMUTER CATEGORY AIRPLANES
23.65; Normal climb: 8.3%
23.66; Takeoff climb, one engine inop: as spec’d by the manufacture
23.67; Final climb, one engine inop: 1.5%

FAR 25 TRANSPORT CATEGORY AIRPLANES
25.119; Normal climb: 8.3%
25.121.b; 2nd segment climb, one engine inop: 2.4%
25.121.c; 3rd segment climb, one engine inop: 1.2%

Would someone explain where does the 1.6% comes from? It would only equate to a 100’/NM gradient and certainly would not give any obstruction clearance. This is the first time I have heard of it and it doesn’t seem to make much sense.

Thanks,
VVJM265

Last edited:
VVJM265 said:
A 3.3% gradient is the nominal climb gradient required to keep you away from the minimal 1:40 (2.5%) Obstacle Obstruction Surface (OIS), even during a diverse departure, and is equal to 200’/NM [200’ / (6076’/NM) * 100% = 3.29%]. This is mentioned in Sec 5-2-5 of the AIM, in chapter 2 of the Instrument Procedures Handbook, and in the TERPS.

My question is where are you guys getting guys getting 1.6% from? I don’t even see it in FAR 23 or 25. Unless I missed something, these are the minimum requirements for twin engine airplanes:

FAR 23NORMAL, UTILITY, ACROBATIC, AND COMMUTER CATEGORY AIRPLANES
23.65; Normal climb: 8.3%
23.66; Takeoff climb, one engine inop: as spec’d by the manufacture
23.67; Final climb, one engine inop: 1.5%

FAR 25 TRANSPORT CATEGORY AIRPLANES
25.119; Normal climb: 8.3%
25.121.b; 2nd segment climb, one engine inop: 2.4%
25.121.c; 3rd segment climb, one engine inop: 1.2%

Would someone explain where does the 1.6% comes from? It would only equate to a 100’/NM gradient and certainly would not give any obstruction clearance. This is the first time I have heard of it and it doesn’t seem to make much sense.

Thanks,
VVJM265

2.4% is what the factory test pilots can do with perfect flying and a perfect brand new airplane. The faa figures you are not as good as test pilot (unless you work for xjt) and your plane is not in perfect shape. So they do a .8% subtraction for pilot technique and for the plane and come up with 1.6% net climb gradient

Last edited:
be-400xpdriver said:
2.4% is what the factory test pilots can do with perfect flying and a perfect brand new airplane. The faa figures you are not as good as test pilot (unless you work for xjt) and your plane is not in perfect shape. So they do a .8% subtraction for pilot technique and for the plane and come up with 1.6% net climb gradient

Yup, that's my understanding too. Regarding ASE, isn't there a restrictive climb gradient requirement even when departing VFR? I haven't looked at ASE for awhile.

[quote=RNObased]Max Power,
I don't fly a little jet for NJA, I fly the bigger ones, and the performance is very very good. However graident numbers are still in play.

I guess the point I need to make a little better is this. You come to NJA you don't have a book lining out the 20 or so airports that you fly into on a regular basis. You will hit 20 different airport on given tour, easy. This isn't 121 flying, not even close."

I'm about to start at NetJets and my airline flew to 123 airports.....and yes, we did have the numbers for all of them. You guys are dorks.....use your off time to golf, fish, or anything else that is normal. I sure hope this isn't the flightdeck conversation I get to look forward to..... RNObased, maybe you will be my instructor but since I flew an airplane bigger than yours, do I get to teach you??????

Awesome

Waco.

Wacopilot said:
I'm about to start at NetJets and my airline flew to 123 airports.....and yes, we did have the numbers for all of them. You guys are dorks.....use your off time to golf, fish, or anything else that is normal. I sure hope this isn't the flightdeck conversation I get to look forward to..... RNObased, maybe you will be my instructor but since I flew an airplane bigger than yours, do I get to teach you??????

Awesome

Waco.

Come fly with me in the 400xp. All I do is talk about football, beer, and jessica simpson.

123 airports! Thats impressive. We use thousands. Each year Netjets will fly to more than 123 nations.

I am sure you will have lots of fun here. If you are a little nicer in real life than your post suggests.

Ok so this is a childish post. I know it.

I'm just picking on RNOBased, his airplane weighed less than mine and I wanted to feel cool. So football.... now that I know something about.... and Jessica Simpson, yummy. Scott, are there really 123 nations? If so, wow!!! NJA is awesome.

Waco

Wacopilot said:
I'm just picking on RNOBased, his airplane weighed less than mine and I wanted to feel cool. So football.... now that I know something about.... and Jessica Simpson, yummy. Scott, are there really 123 nations? If so, wow!!! NJA is awesome.

Waco

f dat, they are still missing out on 70 or so nations. That's just coming up short. . . kind of like an Ohio State athletic program.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back