• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Net Jets Future

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But I can't imagine that you'd be speaking of the NBAA standard as it applies to coporate pilot pay since you're not corporate pilots.
You are right about that, Fractional flying is much more demanding.

Live4flyng said:
You are right about that, Fractional flying is much more demanding.
Keep telling yourself that....it's essential to maintain that "I'm-so-persecuted-let's-gird-up-for-the-fight Martyr Syndome".

Last edited:
gunfyter said:
All civilian flying sucks.

Get real. You are a BellBoy with wings, nothing more.

It is what it is, and there are all sorts of civilian flying...civilian and "civilian"... but if you think it all sucks so badly, then quit. Personally, I like my job. Good pay, great time off, and go to interesting places.

cosmotheassman said:
3Wire,

He said, "don't believe everything you hear. We have an excellent relationship with our pilots". I said, "I thought you said not to believe everything I hear?"
Great comback! One of the best I ever heard!!

Griz said:
GF,

CatYaaak will never understand. You're wasting your time.

And you are correct...the actual civilian "flying" sucks when compared to military.
Well, since it's now clear GF's statement was a relative one, I'd have to imagine that's true to a certain extent. That's what I was thinking 20 years ago when I got the NAMI whammy down in Pensacola.

Of course, I guess I could have followed 2 of my friends who got it too and went on to the Air Force (they allowed..and encouraged... squinting at that eye chart), but I'd grown up around too many AFBs to find it appealing (why increase your chances of ending up in a place like Mindrot?), and besides, is there anything in the entire USAF inventory besides an A-10 and it's mission worth flying? I can't help but thinking the worst day flying, say, a Cod in the Navy would be better than the best day in one of those chick F-16s the Air Force has or droning around in a military King Air . So to each their own.

Last winter in the Gulf I had the privilege of buying a few rounds of drinks for a group of Hornet pilots who had invited me to their squadron party while they had a few days of leave onshore after pulling long weeks over Iraq. A finer group of young guys you'd never meet, and I agree, they undoubtedly have THE best job in the world and everything would suck compared to what they are doing.

But if you don't like civilian flying, why don't you get into "civilian" flying? Quite a few good contracting jobs these days overseas. Depending on what your past military gig was like, you might even find it more exciting than it was. It will certainly pay better than what you're doing now, with the additional bonus of having far fewer rules and regs than you dealt with in the AF. In some ways it's the best of both worlds. Sorry though, no unions.

Last edited:
Shack CatYaaak

I couldn't resist this one.

Gunfyter, a rotor head saying he's too old to fly "tactical". Ooooooooooo, thumping around at 100 knots--real scary. If you're too old for that, maybe you should be at Walmart welcoming people at the front door.

Griz, with AF trainers and prop-driven trash-haulers on his resume whimpering about missing "military" flying. LMAO guy. Good one. Perhaps if you didn't graduate at the bottom of your UPT class, you'd have had some good flying to miss.

Sorry guys. This didn't further the discussion, but I just couldn't resist.

Last edited:
MovingTarget said:
I couldn't resist this one.

Gunfyter, a rotor head saying he's too old to fly "tactical". Ooooooooooo, thumping around at 100 knots--real scary. If you're too old for that, maybe you should be at Walmart welcoming people at the front door.

Sorry guys. I'm really sorry. This didn't further the discussion, but I just couldn't resist.
Sorry but with that statement you just pointed out the fact that you know two things about military helicopter flying--jack and shat.
Military helo missions are primarily at night, NVG's, Nap of the earth(20ft or lower not 50ft or higher), fighting down in the mix not above it.

Fly Safe
Chuck

gunfyter,

I see I touched a nerve. (I've heard pea-nus envy can cause that). Sorry. My good-humored post did come off a bit mean-spirited. I just couldn't resist poking a little fun at the ex-support types missing "tactical" flying. I sincerely respect, appreciate and am grateful for all who served, especially the support types. As for your question about my UPT experience, I did quite well thank you. Thanks to great instructors and fine equipment, I graduated high in my classs and got the fighter of my choice. That was long, long ago and I should have left picking at trash-haulers and rotor heads behind with my helmet bag. Sorry. I'll behave better in the future. But now we are all doing the same thing as was so well posted earlier: "Bellboys with wings." Got a good chuckle out of that one.

No hard feelings intended and see you out on the road.

Yo Griz....when are you guys gonna get it, Your not under uncle sams care anymore.

Gunfyter said it best.......
"I'd laugh too except my wife's cousin is a Bellman at a SAT resort and makes more than the FO's I fly with."

That is the problem here. Not who flew what in the military, and whose plane is better. And Yes I was in the squadron next to gunfyter.

Latest resources

Back