• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Nepotism at UPS

Simon Says

New Airbus Regional Jet
Total Time
Hey folks,

I have never posted here at the majors because most of my business is with the regionals but..........Question for UPS guys.

I know UPS is not hiring, but when they do my brother is an account manager in Portland, OR. He has been with UPS for 8-9 years. He says management frowns on nepotism, and does not know if him working for UPS (especially as a manager) will disqualify me from flying for UPS. Seems kind of harsh if I have to knock off my brother just to fly for UPS. Anybody know for sure?

typhoonpilot

Daddy
Total Time
17000+
Hi Simon Says:

I am no authority on this, but a few years back a friend of mine was called for an interview, but the lady asked if he had any relatives working at UPS. Being a very honest person, he said that his wife's sister's husband was a driver for UPS. The lady said, " sorry " we can't hire you because you have a relative working for UPS. That sure seemed to be a stretch but apparently that is how they are.

Don't despair though. Up until the late 80s/early 90s American had the same policy and finally dropped it. Maybe UPS will do the same some day.

Last edited:

UPS Capt

100% IPA
Total Time
10000+
Unfortunately, this will prevent you from being considered at UPS. I think they'll allow 1st cousins (or something like that) to work in the sort center throwing boxes, but having a brother in management is a "no, no" if trying to get a flying and/or management position.

Simon Says

New Airbus Regional Jet
Total Time
Thanks you two............Guess I will go bang on Fed Ex's door.