NejJets Indoc. and Credit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

captain dad

I got the call to verify the schedules for indoc and sim training. I was told that I needed to pay for everything until I am signed up for reimbursement by the accounting people on the second or third day of indoc.

This is not a problem, I just want to get a credit card that has the best miles program for all airline tickets. Specifically the sky team airlines(NWA, Delta, Etc...) I know there are literally hundreds of choices but can anyone make a suggestion?

Also I was told I will be flying out of my domicile for sim training. Will they switch the return leg to where I want it and I pay the difference like I have been told? If so who do I talk to about arranging that?

Very excited to get started.

Cc

Your going to hear this a thousand times....Get the HHonors Card. I started out with a Delta Skymiles but once you see how HHonors and Amex work together your going to want it.
As far as your last day of travel don't worry about it right now. When you are finished with the next 2-4 weeks of fun you will call a flight coordinator and they set you up with travel home. At that time you can discuss it with them. Quite honestly it takes about 5 minutes the day you travel.
Congrats and best of luck...

ps- what base and aircraft did you get

Watch out for the interest rate on the Hilton AMEX ... if you think you might need to carry a balance initially, you may want to look at something else. If you were military USAA is the only way to go in the interim.

I thought the company does a full reimbursement, so why should I worry about interest rates?

Do they only allow you to use one credit card for company transactions? If so what do you do when someone doesn't take AMEX?

Captain Dad, there are two ways to do things: You can use the company credit card, or you can pay for things yourself and get reimbursed. If you do the latter, it doesn't matter if you use cash, one card, a combination of cards, or whatever -- they don't care.

I decided to try the company credit card, which was in my hands before I even left ground school (so I could put the hotel and rental car on it when I checked out). While it doesn't give the extra Hilton points, it does have a generic airline miles program that, after enough "miles" (dollars), gets you an airline ticket. What's nice is that the reward isn't airline-specific, like regular miles are.

They also put your air travel on the company card if you have it, so you get miles for the dollar value -- if you decide to use your own personal card, the airline flights are direct-billed to the company, so you won't get any benefit other than the actual miles.

I may try the Hilton AmEx card later on once I evaluate which would give me the most benefit, but for now, the company card works well for me, and it doesn't affect my personal credit. You can switch to or from the company card, but you can't do both at the same time -- you have to either be on the company card (with online expense reporting, which I like), or on your personal cards (with paper expense reporting).

Hope that helps.

They do fully reimburse you but by the time you charge everything you have a good possibility of going past the closing date for that month - hence you would have to pay interest on the balance. I personally use the Hilton AMEX and have been very happy with it. On the off chance you ran into someone that didnt take it then just use another card, you can use whatever you want to pay for the company expenses. I have yet to stay at a hotel that does not accept AMEX. BTW I use my AMEX for all my personal expenses throughout the month and I average about 11k Hilton bonus points each month just from the card. The other bonus is that if you pay off the card each month then it also improves your credit score. Many people will try to sell you on the benefits of the identity theft program on the company card but any major credit card will have the same program. Do a little research and then make your own informed decision. Good luck!

Twotter stated it better ..if you pay it off every month the Hilton AMEX is what I would suggest. And I use mine for all personal purchases also and the points really add up in a hurry.

The HH cards will get you about an extra 500 points per Hilton property night, maybe a little more over any other card. You'll do at least 50 or 60 nights in Hilton properties per year. You'll get around 300 HH points for all your other hotel stays (most hotels are around $100 a night that we stay at). Your looking at 2 to 3 extra free nights (at places most people actually want to vacation at) in Hilton properties not including any personal expenses you put on the card for points.

If you use the company card you'll get all the points for even your airline tickets (you always get the mileage with any card, but you also get points for the price of the ticket with the company card.) I've had the company card since the middle of March and I just went over 25K on the card- enough for a free airline ticket. You can only get 40K points per year on the card and I'm going at about the rate right now. That's 3 free flights in 2 years, versus 5 or 6 free nights over 2 years if you used the HH Amex. I'm sure the HH points used to be worth a lot more, but everywhere I want to book free hotel nights rarely are at less than 25k per night. Overall the price you would have spent to rent the nice rooms is probably worth more than the price of the airline tickets you can earn with the company card. I'm chosing the company card for now (though I use the HH Amex for all my personal expenses) because I have lots of friends and family around most of the places I wish to fly so I want more free airline tix.

The various airline cards sound like a good deal at first, but they really are the worst deal of the 3 overall. It can be good for the first year with all the bonus miles, but for company business you will probably not spend enough for a free ticket each year since the company direct bills your airline tix unless you use the company card. The first year you may come close to 2 free tix, but it will slow down to less than one after that (from card expenses alone). I guess if you sign up for all the airline cards and get a ton of free miles right away and then cancel them as you get the points for a free ticket you could get a bunch of free tix fast, but you also have to watch out for the yearly fees (though most are waived for the first year right now). I don't know what the cancellation policies are, but a new guy might do well the first year to get them all and then cancel them ASAP before going to the other cards. I'm not sure if you can or if it hurts your credit in any way though.

To get free tix through mileage fastest (which also leads to elite status and mileage bonuses) you pick one airline from the alliances to pool all you points into. I put all my NW, Delta, and Continental miles into my Continental account by having them change it at the gate before I board the first flight. I've got very few miles on Delta and NW, but almost 30k on Continental and now I get a 50 percent mileage bonus for every mile I fly as I get them into my Continental account. I have 25k on United since I pool all my USAir miles into the United account also. The double dip at Hilton is also great for free tix. The fastest free tix are if you choose Southwest since you get a half credit per stay (32 nights for a free SW ticket) versus 500 miles per stay for most other airlines (50 nights for a free ticket). Hope this all helps and makes some sense.

Starwood AMEX best card out there. 1:1 on airline miles for 20,000 starwood they give you 5,000 =25,000 miles to any airline. HH amex is great IF you only want Hilton points. Company card forget about it!

I am trying to accumulate the most airline miles for free tickets down the road. Are you saying that for 5000 Starwood points I get 25000 airline miles on any airline? What is the uper limit for getting multiple tickets? I want to get it setup right from the get go so I don't waste points figuring it out.

Latest resources

Back