• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

blzr

We need to sick the General on.......

boortz_logo.jpg
Thursday -- April 13, 2006
DELTA STRIKE
delta_pilots_striking.jpg

Scott G. Winterton, Deseret Morning NewsThe Delta UNION pilots are really ratcheting up their talk of a strike. Several weeks ago I honestly thought that these pilots, though they are union members, wouldn't actually go ahead with this absurd plan. There is precedence. Eastern Airlines pilots walked off the job with the expressed intent to destroy their employer. The Delta pilots may do the same.
Ever since I've lived in Atlanta there has been talk of the "Delta Family." OK, fine. Let's use that analogy. Now we have a huge family disagreement, a bitter and divisive fight between husband and wife. If you're married, and all of a sudden you just find that you can't live with your wife (or husband) any more, what do you do? You get a divorce! You leave! You pack your stuff and you get the hell out! If you have any jointly-owned property you'll try to get your share, but the first job is to empty your drawers an closets and get out! So --- the Delta pilots don't like the way they're being treated. That's too bad. They have, in fact, made some pretty massive wage concessions, just as husbands or wives will make concessions to restore domestic tranquility. In this case the concessions don't seem to be enough. So .... leave! If you job (wife) is so dissatisfying to you --- quit! You walk away and try to find someone else who will treat you better.
Now ... things are pretty much the same for older husbands as they are for older pilots. It's tough to walk away from a marriage of many years. After all, when you're out there in the dating market as an older man there just aren't as many options available to you as there were when you were, say, in your 20s or 30s and could parade your flat belly in front of the available women. Well ... that's the choice you make. You can stay with the wife, even though the relationship wasn't what it was, or you can go see how you make out in the crowded single's bars.
So --- what are the Delta pilots considering? They're talking murder-suicide. They don't like the way they're being treated by their wife (company), so their solution is just to kill her. It's the old "If I cain't have her nobody can have her" routine. Instead of just walking away from the woman you think has wronged you, and perhaps trying to get some of your stuff back through a legal action, you just kill her. That'll teach her for treating you this way, won't it! Of course you won't have any job at all (career suicide) at that point, but you've shown her, haven't you! She'll never treat anyone that way again, will she?
Delta Airlines is struggling to survive. Sure, there have been management mistakes. One of those mistakes was making the Delta pilots the highest-paid in the industry for so many years. Is murder the answer?
One of the most ridiculous aspects of the Delta pilot's action was a huge sign they had erected outside of Delta headquarters yesterday. The sign read "Bankruptcy profiteering." Profiteering? Delta hasn't made a profit in how long now? Years? And the Delta pilots are erecting signs about bankruptcy profiteering? Oh yeah, they're in touch.
OH YEAH .... LET'S KEEP THE

The sign read "Bankruptcy profiteering." Profiteering? Delta hasn't made a profit in how long now? Years? And the Delta pilots are erecting signs about bankruptcy profiteering? Oh yeah, they're in touch.

I believe the sign meant that Management was profiteering off of bk.

The scary thing about having some industry knowlege is that once you read things written about your industry . . . . you quickly realize how wrong they got your industry, and then you realize how wrong they probably are about everything else, too.

Radio Schlocks like him are in radio because they are too fat and sloppy to make it on T.V.

I dont think he's an idiot at all, but he is in the business of getting people fired up. He does a great job at it. I dont agree with everything he says on his show/website, but he does make good points on many of his topics of debate (i.e welfare, public schools, the "peaceful" religion of islam, etc).

Ty Webb said:
The scary thing about having some industry knowlege is that once you read things written about your industry . . . . you quickly realize how wrong they got your industry, and then you realize how wrong they probably are about everything else, too.

Heyas Ty,

Yup. Makes you wonder. I've got experience in avaition AND another industry, and they get everything about that wrong too.

I'd have to say that most of the press is 99.9% chock-full-o-sh!t. The 0.01% of the time they get something right, it's by accident.

Like the guy too ugly for TV is in radio, I'd say that most journalists are there because they're not smart enough to write good novel or even a screenplay.

Having met a fair number of TV reporter types through a friend of mine, I can assure you the only thing going through their heads are "angle" and "market share". The facts are way, way down on the list, if on the list at all.

Nu

Living proof that a little knowledge can be dangerous.

Neal's had Airtran stock ever since it was V-Jet. Used to talk about it alot. He hates DAL because of it.

Latest resources

Back