• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Neelman on cnbc.com today....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Your "icecap" website is NOT publicly funded. It tries for legitimacy by using the .us domain, but a real US government website ends with .gov. It is privately funded, and accepts donations from the public. NO taxpayer money supports that.

Your newspaper opinion piece is cute, but doesn't really hold up to NASA (as an organization, NASA has published that man is causing the planet to warm. I am talking about the hundreds of scientists as a whole, not some anomolous opinion.) Read it here. Here's a little synopsis:
Climatologists (scientists who study climate) have analyzed the global warming that has occurred since the late 1800's. A majority of climatologists have concluded that human activities are responsible for most of the warming.

First, I stated www.icecap.us was not a .GOV web site.
Considering that any government employee that makes statements against manmade global warming is dealt with. Such as state climatologists.
http://eteam.ncpa.org/commentaries/state-climatologists-attacked-for-global-warming-doubts
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007702010363
How many government scientists will be speaking against manmade global warming?

Your NASA article uses the words “could” and “might” many times.
http://www.nasa.gov/worldbook/global_warming_worldbook.html

Are you aware of the following?
1. Carbon dioxide is required for all life to exist on earth.
2. Perfect combustion produces carbon dioxide and water. One gallon of gasoline produces 20 pounds of carbon dioxide and a gallon of water. Burning one pound of jet fuel produces 3.15 pounds of carbon dioxide.
3. The most influential greenhouse gas is water vapor.
4. The “greenhouse effect” keeps the earth warm enough for life.
5. Global warming started around 1750 as the earth warmed after the “little iceage”.
6. During the little iceage there was an 80 year period of almost no sunspots known as the “Maunder Minimum”.
7. Since 1900 the PPM of carbon dioxide has continually increased while the temperature has not. Global cooling occurred from the late 1940’s to the late1970’s.
8. Manmade carbon dioxide is .16% of all carbon dioxide created. If you add all the manmade greenhouse gases, man contributes .28% to all the greenhouse gases created. About one quarter of one percent of all greenhouse gases.

Follow the money. The billions created by carbon taxes and/or cap and trade will create great wealth for individuals and companies that have positioned themselves to take advantage of the opportunity. They are pushing hard for you to convince congress we all need a new tax and we will be glad to pay it to help the environment and “save the earth”. The current estimate is a family of 4 will incur a carbon tax of $2,700 a year.

If you want to believe the opinion that manmade carbon dioxide (.16%) is causing global warming it’s OK with me. Considering the main stream media’s bias for manmade carbon dioxide global warming I understand your position. I just wish you would look at some of the opposing opinions out there. Such as this web site.

http://media.kusi.clickability.com/documents/Comments+on+Global+Warming02.pdf

Last edited:
The airlines could partner together and build a coal to oil refinery and produce oil at $55/bbl. Simple as that,

Right, it's so simple. :rolleyes:

They can't even run airlines, and now you have them running oil refineries and distribution networks? LOL

STL717: You "facts" are wildly misinformed. Did you get all your aviation knowledge from political sources too, or did you go to the experts?

Of course there are all sorts of misinformed flight instructors, too. Sometimes going to the experts will get you in trouble. So those are the times you go to official sources like faa.gov. I recommend going to noaa.gov and see how your ideas hold up. Start out by trying to verify your rediculous numbers.

Jayme needs to pull his head out of ALGORES ahole. You asked him to cite references and he did, you won't read them or believe them if you do read them. Just like those that said the ice age was returning during the 70's. To think that our SUV's can affect the climate is a joke. The volcano that just erupted in Chile spewed more CO2 than we can make in a decade, seems to me like there have been volcanos around for a few years, yet the earth is still here. I saw Al Gore flying from the Sundance film festival in a G-V with one other person on board. I guess he's real concerned about his global footprint right? Oh yeah, he buy carbon credits to offset his travels and his mansion.....from his own company. Geez jayme wake up!!!!!

First, I stated www.icecap.us was not a .GOV web site.
Considering that any government employee that makes statements against manmade global warming is dealt with. Such as state climatologists.
http://eteam.ncpa.org/commentaries/state-climatologists-attacked-for-global-warming-doubts
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007702010363
How many government scientists will be speaking against manmade global warming?

Your NASA article uses the words “could” and “might” many times.
http://www.nasa.gov/worldbook/global_warming_worldbook.html

Are you aware of the following?
1. Carbon dioxide is required for all life to exist on earth.
2. Perfect combustion produces carbon dioxide and water. One gallon of gasoline produces 20 pounds of carbon dioxide and a gallon of water. Burning one pound of jet fuel produces 3.15 pounds of carbon dioxide.
3. The most influential greenhouse gas is water vapor.
4. The “greenhouse effect” keeps the earth warm enough for life.
5. Global warming started around 1750 as the earth warmed after the “little iceage”.
6. During the little iceage there was an 80 year period of almost no sunspots known as the “Maunder Minimum”.
7. Since 1900 the PPM of carbon dioxide has continually increased while the temperature has not. Global cooling occurred from the late 1940’s to the late1970’s.
8. Manmade carbon dioxide is .16% of all carbon dioxide created. If you add all the manmade greenhouse gases, man contributes .28% to all the greenhouse gases created. About one quarter of one percent of all greenhouse gases.

Follow the money. The billions created by carbon taxes and/or cap and trade will create great wealth for individuals and companies that have positioned themselves to take advantage of the opportunity. They are pushing hard for you to convince congress we all need a new tax and we will be glad to pay it to help the environment and “save the earth”. The current estimate is a family of 4 will incur a carbon tax of $2,700 a year.

If you want to believe the opinion that manmade carbon dioxide (.16%) is causing global warming it’s OK with me. Considering the main stream media’s bias for manmade carbon dioxide global warming I understand your position. I just wish you would look at some of the opposing opinions out there. Such as this web site.

http://media.kusi.clickability.com/documents/Comments+on+Global+Warming02.pdf

So tell me once again, in a rational manner, why keeping CAFE standards low and NOT worrying about the deforestation of Brazil is a GOOD thing?

Can you seriously argue that keeping mpg standards low, in light of today's fuel prices, is responsible? In other words, do ya think that 40 mpg standards are possible? Uh huh, yes sir, they are. If only our FU$%ED up govt system would make it happen.

Global Warming or Climate Change: it really doesn't matter what you call it. How can you be against making our environment better???

I.e. : why are you willing to take the risk?

The airlines could partner together and build a coal to oil refinery and produce oil at $55/bbl. Simple as that, but throw in the sky-is-falling carbon crowd, enviro-wackos, and gov't, sadly, it'll probably never happen.

Of course you are talking about the Fischer-Tropsch process used to turn coal into jet fuel or other synthetic fuels and lubricants (not oil). Not sure that its the "enviro-wackos" that are keeping this from becoming more wide spread. Its a promising technology, but will take quite a bit of investment in processing plants etc., before it could be counted on as a reliable (and cheaper) jet A substitute. The Air Force has already been testing these fuels but I think its looking at them for more strategic reasons and not just cost.

From our good friends at Wikipedia: "There are investigations underway to reduce CO2 emissions by using solar power to convert waste CO2 into CO from where the FT process can then convert it to hydrocarbons." Now that would be a promising technology! And should shut up the "sky-is-falling carbon crowd."

So tell me once again, in a rational manner, why keeping CAFE standards low and NOT worrying about the deforestation of Brazil is a GOOD thing?

Global Warming or Climate Change: it really doesn't matter what you call it. How can you be against making our environment better???

A common argument against raising CAFE standards is that it will almost invariably mean lighter cars, which will in turn raise fatalities during car crashes. Nevertheless, plenty of people will be willing to take that risk when gas gets to $10/gallon.

"Global Warming" -or- "Climate Change"? Actually, it does matter what you call "it". "Global Warming" is being dropped because politicians look foolish when they attend a "GW" conference and no one shows up due to unseasonably frigid temperatures.

The move to "Climate change" is a political term. It literally can mean anything, and that's why the non-scientist layman is skeptical. Politicians love a cause where they can empower themselves and never have to show results because the goal posts may be shifted at a moments notice. While this does not necessarily mean they're wrong, free men should be very, VERY careful about giving away their freedoms to every politician screaming "the sky is falling!"

It also implies scientists understand the climate well enough to predict its behavior and what, if any, mankind's activities have on it . . . . . and they MOST CERTAINLY DON'T. Do they understand it better than you or I? Certainly. That's why their input should have more impact than yours or mine. But their models are very imprecise; drastic measures are premature.

As to the environment? You better believe I'm for government standards on clean air, water, etc. in the US. But Brazil is a sovereign nation that's gonna do what it damn well pleases. Personally, I think deforestation in Brazil is short-sighted, but it's their country. News flash: the Brazilians don't give two-********************s about what the US thinks.

Can you seriously argue that keeping mpg standards low, in light of today's fuel prices, is responsible? In other words, do ya think that 40 mpg standards are possible? Uh huh, yes sir, they are. If only our FU$%ED up govt system would make it happen.

I.e. : why are you willing to take the risk?

Carbon dioxide has absolutely nothing to do with making our environment cleaner. Carbon dioxide is not a pollutant.

Ozone and carbon monoxide are examples of pollutants.

I am for a clean environment.

I do have a question. Why are the environmentalists so quiet while farmers plow more land to plant corn in the USA and sugar cane in Brazil?

Risk in climate change? There is no risk, the climate will continue to change just as it always has.

Jayme needs to pull his head out of ALGORES ahole. You asked him to cite references and he did, you won't read them or believe them if you do read them. Just like those that said the ice age was returning during the 70's. To think that our SUV's can affect the climate is a joke. The volcano that just erupted in Chile spewed more CO2 than we can make in a decade, seems to me like there have been volcanos around for a few years, yet the earth is still here. I saw Al Gore flying from the Sundance film festival in a G-V with one other person on board. I guess he's real concerned about his global footprint right? Oh yeah, he buy carbon credits to offset his travels and his mansion.....from his own company. Geez jayme wake up!!!!!

One more time for the attention-deficit crowd: I never brought up Al Gore. You did.

Secondly, I asked stl717 to : find me a single credible, publicly funded organization that argues that man is not causing the planet to warm. Good luck.

By his own admission, he was unable to.

Third, I haven't seen any data about how much co2 was released in the recent Chilean eruption. Please teach me, wise one. Then compare that to man's annual output of about 28,000,000,000 TONS of CO2. You will find that volcanos typically emit less than 1% of man's annual output.

Finally, please move on from this unhealthy obsession with Al Gore. It makes you sound like a wierdo.

Latest resources

Back