Neeleman calls it quits

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Brazil=Cheap Fuel!!

They run a lot of stuff on sugar ethanol, which curiously is slapped with confiscatory tariffs for import here. Plus, didn't they just find an enormous off-shore oil field, too?

Yep...no surprises to anyone at JB here.

This has nothing to do with the finances of the company and everything to do with his startup of his new Brazilian airline...which has been in the papers for quite some time now.

Move along...nothing to see here.

C'mon, we kinda knew this was coming... Right?

2 questions.
1. Is any of the Luftansa money going towards this Brazil venture?
2. How much $$$ did it cost the company for DN to 'walk away'??

2 answers:

1. None. LH and JB are completely separate from Neeleman and his Brazilian op. They have absolutely no part of the other. The only common thread is Neeleman.

2. He already cost the co alot last Feb, with all due respect. I dont know the amount he might have been paid. In the past he always donated his salary to a crisis fund for employees. Only about a year ago did he start to sell his stock in JB and disinvest himself from it. Can prob look in some 8Ks over the next quarter and find out if any payment was made for him to leave now, but my gut tells me none.

He was up for election on the Board of Directors in May and simply declined to run to persue another of his dreams... That is it.

Dream no. My comment was in jest based only on the fact that a few other top guys left a few other carriers only hours and days before their demise.

Don't compare Bill "Profits Ain't My Bag Baby" Differndorker (FMS-Speed?) to David "Nacho Frijoles" Neeleman.

Neeleman turned 10 million dollars into 150 million. Diffendoppler turned 150 million into 10 million.

Oh, and Neeleman left a year ago.

Yeah oftentimes when a exec leaves we call it "rats abandoning a sinking ship" but in this case I really think DN is going to Brazil to pour himself 100% into his new airline down there. Our order/options of 200 of those things, totally unprooven, was a "bet the company" decision, and many speculate he was influenced by his ties to his native country in placing that order and convincing the BOD to buy off on it.

He clearly believes in Brazil and wants to do something there. He started JB and made some great decisions along the way (TV's at every seat and basing out of JFK when everyone told him it couldn't/shouldn't be done) and yes he made some mistakes. One particular one (not cancelling anything during severe weather) cost 40 something million.

But like Suzy Orman says (yeah, I know) "you wouldn't have that money to lose if you hadn't made it in the first place." He's a smart guy and a good man at heart, though he never completely respected or empathized with most pilots. But he's a smart guy with ADD (literally) and he really can't start up one airline while trying to run another one.

He's both an idea man as well as very hands on, to the point that it exceeds his capabilities. That's great for an airline's formation stage, but not so good once its larger and established. I predict he will do a good job with his Brazilian airline. And I think this time he will know when to transfer the controls.

Probably not, but at least when he pulls on rubber gloves, its not to give us a rectal like Steenland has given you.

Ugheem !!

Your pilot group began as a rectal to the entire industry. When A320 Capt's were pulling down $221/hour Jet-Blo came up with $140/hour for you. Very similar to the now defunct "Skybus" except the bar has been lowered even further with them.

Just goes to show that its not payroll expense that makes or breaks airlines.

Latest resources

Back