• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Needing some advice?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you're hell bent on getting out then attend school full-time and FINISH the degree. It's harder to complete the degree if you're working full-time at a regional and maybe doing a part-time job of some kind to make a descent living. Toss in marriage, a kid and you're really spread thin brother. Also, look into the reserves. If you earn your degree and you're in the reserves then maybe you'll have a shot of attending Naval Flight School and return to your reserve unit.
Lots of options, but FINISH the degree first and fly while in college.
Good luck!!!

Ditto!

I've done the enlisted Navy for the last few years guys. I know all about being poor, being gone, being angry at superiors and feeling like you have no control. I've deployed three times in three years, I've missed three Christmases, birthdays, etc etc. It's not all peaches on the other side. And, and, I was wearing the uniform. Think I got any respect? This is what I want to do, I know it may have it's huge downsides, but I'd like to think I could change that. The Navy made me realize though, you never really no how much it sucks when your not doing what you want.

Most military folks have some of those feelings at some point or other...

However: Did you let your feelings interfere with your job performance? If you left the nav with a bad attitude and bad evals I can about guarantee that aviation will not work out for you...don't waste your money.

If you kept your cool and performed well even though you didn't like the situation your prospects are better.

But like others have said, aviation is a horrible career if you have no fallback and even then it's questionable. I would SERIOUSLY consider staying in and competing for a military flight slot. Army will take you as a WO now, or you can knock out college and try for a navy/usaf/usmc slot. Actually you might need two years of college for WO, not sure on that. The army is not a bad gig...you will probably start in helos, but they are getting a lot of fixed-wing airplanes, which you should be able to transition into. That military FW time will make you eligible for a major airline job.

If you don't want to stay on AD, look into the reserves. If you think you can make it civilian aviation without a reserve paycheck, you might be in for a rude awakening. The navy at least feeds you, provides for your basic needs, and gives you an allowance...regional airlines will not be so kind. Remember, your civilian competitors will have trust funds to rely on....they can afford to work for $17K.

Hey everyone, I have a couple of questions. I've been in the Navy for the last 3.5 years, I have half a year left. I'll be 22 with a PPL around 100 hours. I'm single, I have nothing to tie me down. I'm thinking if moving somewhere new, going to college, and finishing up my ratings. Once I get my CFI I'd start instructing. College shouldn't be more than 3 years from when I start next summer. Does this seem like an alright plan? Yes I know nobody is hiring, and it sucks... But try the Navy (enlisted) for a few years, it's hell. I know what to get into, I know all about the struggles. I just need some advice. Should I just work on my ratings and try to get on with a regional then work on the degree once I'm there?

Thanks

When the retirements start to kick back in there will be alot of movement...some of these guys on here think there are actually going to keep someone from aging. You are young enough you will benefit.

Try to get a degree in something other than flying...will give you options if you get a medical condition and cannot fly. Regional experience is good because it is part121 experience on your resume.

Latest resources

Back