NEEDED: Info on Colgan Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

loNslo

What's it like to fly for Colgan Air? I need any info on pay, which bases are junior and which are senior, schedule(quality of life) and is there any growth,etc. Since it is aligned with US Airways, does it have a future? Your help and input will be appreciated.

I beat chperplt to this.....funny. Pay is $20 per hour on 1900 with 75 hour gaurantee. I think $22 on the saab. You could get either plane....beats me which one. we have a ton of bases...none of them really good....but that is all an opinion. If the base is near your crib...then i guess it is good. We get like 12-15 days off a month. All varies...the new thing seems to be they give you 13 flight days....plus 2 reserve days....this is for FO's....captains seem to get more flight hours. we lost a base in PA...but now starting march we get buffalo and westerchester ny as bases. Sounds like a good thing for potential hiring. As i understand it...we are not hiring now though. I really don't know the future here....but i don't detect anything bad on the horizon from other pilots i hear talking. How is it to fly here? Well i'll take the 1900 over any piston trainer type plane any day. I also thing the RJ's look very nice with there APU's, better destinations, better pay, ect. I think it is a take what you can get market right now...and i feel very lucky to have this. People here are all great.

apply to colgan

i have noticed that the only way to apply at colgan is to pay an app fee. is it worth to pay if you only have like 1250/300? im sure they are stocked full of higher time apps. what do you think?

Well, they just did that online fee thing. May be cause we have someone new doing the recruiting now. But your times are similar to what other new hires have...so if you don't mind risking the $ then try it. They won't come looking for you and ask you to send a resume. Your multi number is what i think they will find attractive. And you tt isn't bad either.

It's a $39 app fee.
A little steep if you ask me. I can't think of another industry that charges you money just to fill out an app.

Everything BRA said was correct.

We are not hiring right now, and most likely will not be for some time.

Major announcement about our working agreement with US Airways to be announced on Thursday.

They have a 39.00 app fee? Pretty sad considering these hard times pilots are facing.

They have a 39.00 app fee? Pretty sad considering these hard times pilots are facing

I don't think charging an application fee is acceptable, but it does cost a lot of money to run background checks. We've had an awful lot of people start class and leave shortly after getting on line when ACA or Skywest came calling. We're a small company and can't afford to lose that kind of money repeatidly.

Maybe the thought behind this was that only people who are serious about employment with the company would apply.

When do you think would be a good time to apply to Colgan, I mean when do you think they will be hiring again? I was sending in resumes but now that there is a fee I want to make it count. I have 2200 total and 250 multi. Thanks for any info!

2200/250 are good times....and if you don't get a call...i doubt it would be because of your times. You know what last year at this time this board said colgan wouldn't be hiring for a while.....and then they started a lot of hiring towards the middle and end of the year. You just never know. ACA really threw everyone a curve ball didn't it. Weren't they supposed to be hiring like 100's this year, or am i wrong? It's all a big lottery and you have to be in it to win it. I think the fee sucks too. Is it a one time fee? Or do you keep paying each time you update? This company suprises me.....they are one of the few that pay all your hotel in training, and pay you $50 per each day of training.....and then at other times..a lot of other times, they seem to cut every financial corner possible. The killer is we basically get no per diem here at all. Only if you do an overnite...and that is rare. So if you wait somewhere for 3-6 hours for the weather to come up......you get paid nothing for all that extra time waiting. Zero. If your flights get cancelled for maintance.....you don't even get paid your block time. I came from being an instructor...so this is nothing new to me.....but when you start to hear what other airlines get....you think about it. As this year progresses...a lot of FO's and captains will be coming up on the one year anniversary with the company. (we have a year contract) That means they can now leave and go elsewhere. A great number of these people will be wanting to go elsewhere, (not neccesarily me) if they get there wish, that is another story. But what i am saying is this may open up spots for new people like you. A good thing. Chperplt you're up.....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back