Need some good advice!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LITCHAT7

Would really appreciate input to help me make an important decision. I am currently a senior F/O at a less desirable commuter. Even with some promising upcoming events on the horizon, I still dont expect upgrade (in a turbo-prop) for another 6+ months. Pinnacle (express I) is telling me I can come upgrade on the CRJ in 4-6 months. One captain from Pinnacle I met at the airport laughed and said I might not even make it through F/O training (just send me straight to the left). They've also just opened a base in my hometown (wich is junior). Pinnacle is suppose to grow 300% in the next couple years. I know many might think I'm nuts for leaving my seniority, yet with the current state of the industry, I think most of us at the regionals will be stuck for quite a while, and I cringe to think of staying at my present airline that long!! Now I understand some past advice I got prior to joining the regionals (go to one you would hang your hat if you had to)! From what I understand, the reason for quick upgrade at Pinnacle is that most of their F/O's are low time, so I would be a reserve captain for a looooooooong time! But I dont think that would be so bad being local. I've always commuted, which as we know sucks, so this could be much prefered??!! Am I missing anything. If anybody could think of any reason to go or stay, I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!!

Should I stay or should I go?

Stay where you are. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. You never know if you'll trade in one bad situation for another one. Things are bad in the industry and when things are bad things are in a state of flux. At least you know the territory where you are now.

Last but certainly not least, no matter how bad things may be where you are now, your seniority number is golden. It's not worth taking chances and/or starting all over again.

That's my .02. Think it over carefully. Good luck with your decision.

Agree with Bobby 100%.

And just because Pinnicle says they are upgrading in 4-6 months today doesn't mean they won't furlough tomorrow.

Stay put.

(I know nothing about Pinnicle, just making an observation in general.

another reason to consider staying...

I am not convinced that the current economic slowdown is over based upon recent government statitistical data and I suspect this does not bode well for the already struggling airline industry. As I understand it, the higher your seniority number, the further away from furlough you are. Then again, if your airline goes bankrupt or ceases to exist, you're in the same position (actually worse since there is zero prospect of going back).

I just saw on CNN that the US produced only 6000 new jobs last month, barely a blip. Additionally, the US economy grew at just 1.1% last quarter, again just a blip. While some durable goods orders are up, the fact of the matter is that markets like the NYSE and NASDAQ may not be done losing ground.

Obviously, it's your call but perhaps the preceding poster's "bird in hand" maxim might be wise to consider. Obviously, the prospect of jet PIC is very enticing, but perhaps you may want to consider whether there is an equal or greater prospect of no time at all (be it SIC much less PIC) with Pinnacle if they furlough and you're on the bottom of the list vs. almost assured SIC at your current employer, provided your current employer doesn't go belly-up? In other words, which do you require more at this point to advance your career? Just TT or jet SIC/PIC?

Your call, obviously, and it's a tough one.

PS As a MSN resident who flies NWA almost exclusively, very happy to see NWA is finally going start MSN-MEM service in late October, 2002 with a Avro RJ85 (Mesaba). No more double connections of MSN-MSP/DTW-MEM to get to PNS at 230pm after a 600a departure to see the rents (and play a little golf) in the winter!!! According to the new schedule, should be able to leave MSN at 605a and arrive PNS on a CRJ at about 1015a, plenty of time for 18 in the afternoon!!!

NWA didn't reduce any other flights out of MSN to DTW or MSP so hopefully it will be a situation where the ARJ is used to establish the route and the demand is such that NWA moves a D9 or A319 in after a year or so.

Fly safe!!!

Latest resources

Back