Need some corporate advise.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks all,
I believe if the offer becomes aviable i will lean towards the Part 91 gig. I just discussed it this week with a corp. friend and said without it would be very hard to cross over. Once again thanks for all the great insight.

Thanks all,
I believe if the offer becomes aviable i will lean towards the Part 91 gig. I just discussed it this week with a corp. friend and said without it would be very hard to cross over. Once again thanks for all the great insight.
Iam back with results, the 91 gig was down to me and another guy with 2500 hrs and no recall rights at a major. Guess who got the job, not me. I am now leaning to stay out of aviation and pursue something where skill and exp. is considered. Maybe someday when I buy a corp. jet I will hire a ex. major guy to fly it.

Sorry to hear that. When you buy your corporate jet give me a call. I'll fly it for you, and chances are good that I'm already typed in it and you won't have to worry about me being called off of furlough and you losing your training investment and relocation package in me.

You could hire an ex "Major Guy" like yourself. Because we all know that they make the best corporate pilots. Unless of course: He has to work more than 17 days a month, He has to work more than 14 hours in a day, You are never on time (early or late), The aircraft breaks in the middle of BFE and HE needs to coordinate maintenance, The aircraft needs cleaning, You want catering last minute, Your destination changes enroute, You won't pay him $250,000 a year to fly you all over the globe, He has to check weather, file a flight plan, arrange catering, overflight, fueling, hotels, cars, etc..the list goes on and on.

Here's what it all boils down to.... Your very first post above displays loud and clear what type of person you are. You do not see it. How could anyone with only 2500 hours EVER beat a "guy with 5000 hours at a "Major"" out of a job? They were not looking for God's gift to aviation. You most certainly came across like you are. So perhaps you should pursue that heavy longhaul freight position. I'm sure the girls in he bars in Asia will be impressed that you are flying an old DC-10 or 747. You numba waaahn!

I don't mean to be harsh. I hate the fact that anyone who wants to work is not working. In a way I'm trying to help you out (but I'm sure you will not take it that way). Q. But why in the world would they hire the other guy that had half as much total flight time as you have at "The Majors"? A. Attitude

If it is any consolation, you are probably absolutely correct in pursuing an occupation outside of flying. There are jobs that pay much better. If you ever reach that station in life where you actually own a corporate airplane (and in all sincerity, I think that would be great) perhaps you will look back on this as the catalyst that pushed you to achieve greatness. If that happens, I would not at all be surprised to see you make the same choice.

Here is a question for you. If an experienced pilot with 10K hours of flight time and alot of international PIC in heavy jets showed up at your airline, what job would you give him?

That's right. He would be an FO in your smallest piece of equipment, with the crappiest schedule. And would you feel bad? No?

Same story in corporate aviation. Only here, job performance and "fit" are more important than seniority. Once you come to terms with the fact that the other guy had more to offer the employer, the sooner you will be able to get a job in corporate aviation.

Lastly, let's not discount the instructing at Flightsafety. 90 percent of those guys are good guys. Then you have some real freaks and tools. Maybe you were one of the latter. Maybe they talked to someone you trained or took a checkride with? Anyways. Good luck.

Need some corporate advise

Or you can disregard all of my advise above. Maybe it's because you had some spelling errors on your resume and cover letter. Next time I would advice you to proofread it.

The Amazing Kreskin

Either one would be fine as long as you are the right person for the job. That will vary hugely from one Dept to the next. P91 hiring is all about being in the right place at the right time. All my good P91 jobs came to pass as happenstance, rather than targeting an employer. I would take the job that turns you on more, as you may be in it for a while.

Looks like Fido nailed it two weeks in advance of your interview.

Or you can disregard all of my advise above. Maybe it's because you had some spelling errors on your resume and cover letter. Next time I would advice you to proofread it.

Next time you give advice, I would advise that you proofread your own post....

Same story in corporate aviation. Only here, job performance and "fit" are more important than seniority. Once you come to terms with the fact that the other guy had more to offer the employer, the sooner you will be able to get a job in corporate aviation.

Maybe he's upset that, when most of us got into aviation, we were taught that flying skills and experience were the top priority and we spent a couple of decades honing those skills.

We didn't realize that "fit" and sufficient 'suction' in interpersonal relations would take precedence over experience in some departments.

During my time in a 91 department, I flew with some extraordinarily good pilots and great people. I also flew with a couple who couldn't find their ass with both hands in an airplane but they sure could suck up and back stab. There were also a couple that couldn't pass a MMPI (psych/personality) test if they hired a PhD to take it for them.

100ci is bummed because someone with lower time got the job he wanted. Thanks for the lecture that we've all heard a million times here. It's nice to hear it from someone who won't post their resume. That says a lot.

And, no, I won't be coming to your department for a job, jet2work. I can smell the politics from here.

TC

Next time you give advice, I would advise that you proofread your own post....

I guess I should have spelled it out a little better for you.

The original poster was looking for "advise"

I was TIC suggesting that perhaps the reason he lost out on a job opportunity could have boiled down to something as simple as a typo on his resume and not some grand conspiracy by corporate pilots to keep airline pilots out of the profession.

Nowe I am goeng to inklude a bunch of tipeos here so that yur post bekomes valyd.

Maybe he's upset that, when most of us got into aviation, we were taught that flying skills and experience were the top priority and we spent a couple of decades honing those skills.

We didn't realize that "fit" and sufficient 'suction' in interpersonal relations would take precedence over experience in some departments.

During my time in a 91 department, I flew with some extraordinarily good pilots and great people. I also flew with a couple who couldn't find their ass with both hands in an airplane but they sure could suck up and back stab. There were also a couple that couldn't pass a MMPI (psych/personality) test if they hired a PhD to take it for them.

100ci is bummed because someone with lower time got the job he wanted. Thanks for the lecture that we've all heard a million times here. It's nice to hear it from someone who won't post their resume. That says a lot.

And, no, I won't be coming to your department for a job, jet2work. I can smell the politics from here.

TC

Well, TC. at least I have some admiration for you for sticking up for a fellow TWA brother, but perhaps I can shed some light on how I interpret 100ci's posts. He came here looking for "advise" which a bunch of corporate pilots willingly gave him without any mention of the "fabled 121 stink." They were all trying to help him out. They spelled it out pretty clearly that "fit" and being connected were going to be important in getting this job.

Unfortunately he did not get the job. Almost immediately he states that he is going to take his football and go home. That is he is going to give up flying and become a gazillionair and only hire major airline guys to fly him in his private jet, because obviously that is why he was discriminated against for this position. What was the point in that? Come here asking for "advise" from corporate pilots and then insult them.

I know that two of the qualities that will prove to be a big success at any corporate flight department is quitting when you don't get your way, and biting the hand that feeds you.

We didn't realize that "fit" and sufficient 'suction' in interpersonal relations would take precedence over experience in some departments[QUOTE/].

TC, you of all people should know that getting along with your co-workers in a corporate gig is perhaps THE most important aspect of QOL. Backstabbers, and suckups would not last long where I work. We are a small group that rely on each other for our lives and livelihoods. We can't just bid a different schedule or different equipment when the going gets tough.

If 100ci wants to think that the reason he did not get the job is because of his airline background, perhaps he is correct. A quick review of his previous posts will show that in July he was 5 numbers from being recalled at AA. Perhaps the person interviewing him asked him why he had not been flying for the last 5 years, and he admitted that he was furloughed TWA awaiting recall. Why would anyone hire and train a guy who is 5 numbers from being recalled, and obviously had been waiting around on the sidelines for that to happen? Maybe the real reason was recency of experience, or lack of PIC time.

A quick review of 100ci's posts will also tell you what he thinks of: Regional Airline Pilots, Scabs, Southwest Airlines, American Airline Natives, Trans States flow throughs, APA and others. Hopefully very soon he will be recalled to AA (like I said, I don't like seeing any pilot out of work).

I don't post my resume here, because I have nothing to prove. I'll let the content of my posts speak to my qualifications.

BTW, you are correct about some corporate guys not being able to find their A$$ with both hands. I was hoping that they would get weeded out by examiners at Flightsafety (JK).

Last edited:

TC

Hey TC

I'd say you can come work for our little 3 pilot department anyday....but FIDO said you cant fly worth a $hit - like most 121 guys.

:)

And oh dear god, no sucking please. We just couldn't deal with that...:eek:

And really guys, if ya get the interview itself, they are OK with the airline background, they have read your resume...No need to pad interviews with semi-qualified people these days, getting warm bodies in is not a problem.....then again, its easier to blame the other guy with fewer hours and your airline curse background than it is to admit you were just out interviewed.

121/corp/mil...whatever....fragile egos all around!!

The poster needs to get over himself, practice his skills, and line up more interviews...;) - lots of competition out there today.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back