Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Need some aircraft buying suggestions...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wtl0715

I realize I wrote this post in another forum but thought I might get a bit more feedback in this one, so here goes again...

I am interested in buying an aircraft but am having some trouble narrowing down my choices. I have a $35,000 budget and want a used low wing aircraft that is fairly economical and doesn't burn a ton of fuel (less than 8 gph). I'm willing to sacrifice speed for lower operating costs; I would be happy with 100 mph cruise. The problem I've been running into is my size. I'm 6'1" and 250 lb. With all of this in mind, can you please throw some suggestions my way that might fit these criteria. I realize that given my situation there may not be tons of options available, but here is what I've come up with:

-Zenith CH 601
-1978/1978 Piper Tomahawk (112 or 125 hp)
-Early model RV (RV-3/RV-4)

I'm learning about used aircraft and the research/buying process as I go and would appreciate any advice that you can give.

Thanks,
Taft

Well, I appreciate the tactful suggestion, but weight loss isn't the issue, I'm just big. I'm a police officer and am assigned to my department's SRT team where I work out a lot more than the average person. I have really broad shoulders and wide arms. If I could fit in a 152 I'd love to, but I don't think that will be an option in the near future?

Anyone have any options that don't involve unbroadening my shoulders?

Why low wing only? How about a tandem single like a Champ or Cub, etc? Personally, if I were to buy a slow single-engine aircraft it would be a taildragger!

A few ideas.
Consider a partnership.
You WILL NOT be flying this plane 24/7 365.
If you get a GOOD partner, one that flys the same or less than you do, all of a sudden, your budget doubles!
Are you worried about fuel consumption?
Is roominess your main issue?
Might want to consider a Tiger, Rockwell 112, older C 182 and many others.
What part of the USA are you going to have this plane hangared or tied down?

THe partnership is a great idea. Someone said your budget doubles. Here is a website that is excellent for finding your aircraft.
http://www.controller.com/

6'1" and 250 is not abnormal at all. I don't think you want a traumahawk, might consider looking at C172s, 182's or an old 206. IF your not looking to do long hauls, get a cub. They sip fuel. Slow, but economical. You can always tow banners with it along the line. (no pun intended):p

What part of the USA are you going to have this plane hangared or tied down?

I live in North Carolina in the foothills. I'm about twenty miles East of the mountains. Depending upon the airport at which I will keep it (club airport or Hickory Regional) it could be tied down or hangared. I will most likely keep it hangared at a club airport near where I live.

Why low wing only? How about a tandem single like a Champ or Cub, etc?

Although this isn't going to play any major role in whether or not I purchase any one type of aircraft, I simply like the way low wing aircraft look and feel. I have flown a C172 and a low wing Piper and simply like the feel of the low wing better. I made it sound earlier like I've made up my mind and will not entertain the idea of anything but a low wing, but I will consider anything that makes sense. As I said before, I'm new at this, and that means that I'll likely change my mind a thousand times before I really make a serious decision.

I don't know if it'll quite fit your proposed budget, but have you considered a Cherokee 140? With it's fat Hershey bar wing, a more honest and forgiving plane is rare indeed. Good for a hundred knots or so and equipped with a tried and true Lycoming O-320 which will burn 7-8 gph average. What's more, big guys will find there is more room here than in most price competitive models. Forget about using the back seats for adults though. With full fuel, two persons is a full load. High, hot and heavy is not to be taken lightly. (pun intended!) All things considered, a '65 or so '140 might fill the bill if you can find the "right" one.

One other bit of free advice for whatever it's worth: Don't buy any airplane without a thorough pre-purchase inspection performed by YOUR choice of A&P/AI! Preferably one who has worked extensively on the PA28 series. Also make use of the resources of AOPA to do lein, title and history searches on this plane as well as escrow services. These precations will cost some money, but will help protect you from worst-case scenarios. Also be prepared to spend a little more in the early days of ownership to fix undetected discrepancies that always seem to crop up. 40+ year old airplanes require more careful buying but are probably the only way to get something close to your proposed budget.

Best of success in your search,

I think 35K may be a stretch for a Cherokee but an older 140 would probably be within that budget. They'd dont come any less costly to operate as a 140. Yup, you may have to re-do the gear struts which you'll wouldn't have to do on a 172 and the tanks may need to be resealed in it's lifetime but it's a damm cheap airplane to operate. The autogas stc is a good thing too except you may be hard pressed to find gas without additives in your area.

I second the good pre-buy. Your Mx should have a good feeling about the airplane. A good mechanic will fly the plane to really see how it runs.

gkrangers said:
Take some of the money and get a gym membership, and lose some weight.

Then buy a nice C152.

What a tool. How about he gets your address and pays you a visit?

Anyway..buy a Yak and spend twice the money, burn three times the gas, get ten times the airplane, and have a 1000 times more fun.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back