Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Need some advice on CFI job (getting one)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How long does it take to tackle 200 d.g part-time though? 6 months? How about full-time?

I know the answer is 'it depends' but if it is true that the likelihood of obtaining work at a university with less than 200dg is < 0.0000% then I'm f$cked.

I guess I'm just sore because I see these kids getting employment at the Purdues, ER, UND's of the world with no Bachelors and a CFI-A no dual, and I come in with a technical Masters, CFI-AI and no dual and they laugh me out.

Let me go get some cheese with my whine now :D

Seriously though, that's what I'm trying to do, accrue some hours so that I can get some access. We'll see..

Send a resume to Lewis University in Chicago. It's not far from LAF, and with the turnover rate recently due to regional airline hiring, if they do not need you now, they will by the start of next semester. We usually go through about 8 instructors per year out of 20. CFII rating is required though as is most places I had applied to. I started with 0 dual given, yet I had gone through the program. Usual canidates come from either within, or other part 141 programs. Great benefits of free tuition, life, vision, dental, and medical insurance, paid time off, paid holidays.

yeah I am very interested in Lewis, and the geographical proximity makes it extra attractive to me. I am going to hold off on making contact until I get this double -I business taken care of, but as soon as I get it I'll be knocking on their door. One of several reasons I am inclined to seek university work is the compensation and benefit package; it is highly unlikely I'll be able to break even at the end of the month working part 61 full-time. The other one is that it is the optimal position for somebody with my academic aspirations to develop the valuable 'operational 141 experience' they require for a faculty position, as it is the only thing missing to be eligible.

I do feel that considering all the feedback I've received, it is unlikely that I would get hired as an outsider with no dual given, so Part 61 work is probably in my future until I'm able to tap into the 141 side, but one never knows for sure until one asks, so I will make the effort to contact these universities and see how my luck pans out.

Thanks for the intel on Lewis, I've been roaming their dept. homepage, among other schools as well, compiling a 'hit list'. Thanks again!

List of flight schools

If you want to expand your options a little bit try going to: http://www.flightinstructingjobs.com

There are a ton of schools on there and they show who's accepting resumes around the country. You have to pay a fee for it but it might be worth it if you are looking for places outside your local area...

Latest resources

Back