• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Need second opinions for a friend

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And don't preach to me about honesty, they aren't honest with you at the interview at a regional either!

That does not excuse YOU for being dishonest...
A lie is a lie.

And why doesn't your freind just work for his advancement like everyone else had to...I'm sick of all these new guys trying to find shortcuts instead of building some real experience that one day may be what saves a plane and it's occupants from disaster.

Last edited:
With the shortage of entry-level pilots, your buddy should just be up front about what he was doing and not try to pretend he is a real KA PIC. He is not PIC material for anyone's KA operation, however he is developing SIC skills even though he is not an official SIC. He should hit the high points that make him more desirable to his next employer. He (I assume) taking clearances, talking to ATC, reading checklists and he is involved in flying. These are all good things for the next job.

Thanks for the input! I'll count all that as a NO, he cant do it. Anyone else?

Well that would be wrong. Your friend CAN log the time as PIC since they meet the requirements of 61.51. A lot of the things you mention are red herrings and nothing to do with logging PIC, such as high altitude endorsement, insurance etc.

Now the monkeys in the peanut gallery have already started throwing around all the reasons why they think your friend shouldn't log the time, and we'll just have to leave them to their tiny little worlds they live in. Legally the time is loggable.

Well that would be wrong. Your friend CAN log the time as PIC since they meet the requirements of 61.51. A lot of the things you mention are red herrings and nothing to do with logging PIC, such as high altitude endorsement, insurance etc.

Now the monkeys in the peanut gallery have already started throwing around all the reasons why they think your friend shouldn't log the time, and we'll just have to leave them to their tiny little worlds they live in. Legally the time is loggable.

From the peanut gallery...the guy is splitting hairs. If he was going to stay put in that type of fying that's one thing, but passing yourself off as having been a PIC when you are in fact NOT in command of anything, is just lying. You can delve all you want in the lawyer-type interpreting of the FAR's but a lie is a lie.

I agree with ACA, can you believe that? But to pass him self off as PIC material with that experience would be a lie, and most interviewers would see through it a heartbeat. But if he is honest, and says yes I legally logged PIC under the 61 reg, but I was really gaining experience so I could learn he will probably come out further ahead.

From the peanut gallery...the guy is splitting hairs. If he was going to stay put in that type of fying that's one thing, but passing yourself off as having been a PIC when you are in fact NOT in command of anything, is just lying. You can delve all you want in the lawyer-type interpreting of the FAR's but a lie is a lie.

If you are having this much interpretation, as quoted above, it probably is not right. Most of us know what "PIC" is. If your not it you are not it. Sit back, work your way up like the rest of us, or do it the other way, and it will come back to get you in the end.

If you search, you'll find that this subject comes up about every week on flightinfo. I have been watching this debate on here for 6 years and more. Two observations.

Anybody can log ANYTHING they want, ANY WAY they want. You just may have to explain it in an interview.

Whoever is in COMMAND of the airplane is the PIC, period. There are few exceptions. You both can't log it. Who is on the insurance? Who signed for the aircraft, and who is the FAA wanting to talk to after an incident? The PIC, not a 100 hour pilot wanting 15 hours watching the autopilot whir away.

I too, am tired of this debate. But I have notice something very important.

All the guys saying to log it seem to be 1000 hour wonder types, splitting hairs and arguing till they're red in the face about how it is legal to log. Marion C. Blakely herself could tell them it was illegal, and they would argue with her. The guys saying it's NOT O.K. have thousands of hours in a 121 environment and absolutely WILL be the ones across the table from you at an interview.

When/If I am ever sitting across from an applicant and I see them padding their logbook with PIC time, or instrument time because it was nighttime and they don't feel like looking outside. I am going to thank them for applying and tell them goodbye. More job security for the rest of us who are honest.

This post will be followed (you watch) wth a CFI or a part 135 guy that SWEARS he/she can legally log it. They will say they talked to someone at a FSDO who says it's O.K. Doesn't matter if you want to fly big ariplanes, you have to get past someone who worked hard and hates people who takes shortcuts and whines about how hard this all is.

Good luck

Last edited:
Just ask Rick at Eagle Jet International! BGGGGGGG! He seems to somehow make it work!!!!! According to him, there is a difference between acting and logging PIC! 61.51 should explain it or that FARs explained book! NUH!!!!!!!

Last edited:
What every your “friend” does don't log PIC in something unless you know the systems/limitations very well......Future Interview Question- Oh, I see you have some KingAir PIC time, tell me about ___ system.

Latest resources

Back