• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Need pointers from PILOTS!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If your instructor was proud of you after the X-C, then you have no need to worry. Continue to improve your flying and Communication skills and you would do fine

VW

Stick with it man, sounds like youre having fun, and theres a lot more to come. This is a great job and lots lose sight of that. As far as getting behind the airplane, thats the only way to learn to be ahead...thats how a lot of great training programs get pilots to learn fast. Keep up the good work.

If you're here writing about it , VW, you probably did OK!
Remember that no two flights are alike and "handle it, handle it, handle it." Also keep in mind that thought and that feeling, "It was FUN!"
I've been doing this for 30 years and it's as enjoyable now as it's ever been.
A flight instructor once ponted out to me that straight and level flight is just a series of small climbs, descents, and turns.

Dude or dudet, reading that made my eyes hurt. Good point but increase the text size.
Thanks for playing

Nalo...weird avatar...learned your stroke from this guy? Joking...Yeah I'll stick with it. I love flying way too much...Doughnut Are you ar CAMS? Or National Aviation?? Or is you plane just there? I'll keep that in Mind....Thanks.

Nalo...weird avatar...learned your stroke from this guy? Joking...Yeah I'll stick with it. I love flying way too much...Doughnut Are you ar CAMS? Or National Aviation?? Or is you plane just there? I'll keep that in Mind....Thanks.

I'm with a shared ownership club called the Pinellas Pilots Association (www.pinellaspilots.org). We keep our plane there at KPIE. I did get my PPL from CAMS, though - great school with great instructors.

I remember during my initial training when I'd be overwhelmed and go home all bummed out because I had a "rough flight." I also remember that everyone else goes though the same thing.

You'll get better as you do it. Remember that your private pilot license is a "license to learn."

PH

This is my favorite part:

I've never worked so hard in a plane before......BUT I ENJOYED IT...

As you are finding out, flying, or at least what I'd consider real flying, is a lot of work. But if it's work you enjoy, then you're golden. Flying is difficult, but it is an enjoyable difficult, if that makes any sense.

As an instructor, I can say that I probably wouldn't have taken a student into an environment like that unless I thought it was within the student's capabilities. And of course, like most instructors, I like to crank things up a few notches and put the student into some stressful situations; they'll never improve unless I do that. In a way I don't really feel like I'm delivering the students' money's worth if I'm not constantly challenging them.

Anyway, you're doing just fine. Keep at it!

-Goose

Last edited:
One of the things that is was so frustrated with was learning to use VORs to locate my current position....My intructor said...Are you ok over there??? I was lost.....he asked...do you know where we are? What was you last check point? lost? I said yeah...I feel stupid. Lets just go back...he said ok take us back....I could do nothing but stare at the horizon.....Then That's when I heard my instructors chest wheezing over the mic....his face was red as Granny Smith Apple. Then I couldn't keep from laughing...He knew where we was but I was lost....then I said where did I go wrong...He told me he purposley cranked it up a notch to se my reactions. He replied that I was concentrating on one thing too much....then he said..It's all about being able to multi-task efficiently....That night i went home and just sat in the middle of the floor re-thinking the whole flight...figuring ways to improve. the first
thing I discovered I needed to do was organize the cock-pit. I had charts and note pads all over the place...Once I started organizing things, It got easy...the very next day, we did some ground school on VOR navigation and tried the flight again......Easy as cake. I had everything organized, from FSS weather briefs to handling the airplane....

I was smiling the whole trip....you guys know the feeling when you just learned something new....that feeling. Now I just laugh when I think about it.

So thanks guys for all the tips!!! Keep flying!!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back