Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

VW Pilot

MMM...PIGEON CASSEROLE
Did a cross country today with my Instructor.....I never felt like I sucked so much at talking to FSS/approach control and stuff....Today in Tampa, FL the day was PERFECT....light winds, no clouds anywhere in sight. Never flown into a class C Airspace before(underlies class B, KTPA)...Man I had ERJ-145s up my A$$!!! I started to panic because fast moving jets was comin from seemed like all 360 degrees!!!! I felt so small and so "behind" the PA-28-161 we were in....My instructor said....you did well....I've seen guys give up and their face turn bloodshot red...but you kept hangin in there....Everything was hapnin so freakin fast!! I was sweating to keep up with the airplane, checkin points, loging check point times, ground references and charts......whew...I was so afraid to mess up....my instructor found this funny because we were at 3500ft and temps were low and I'm sweatin up a storm!!! I've never worked so hard in a plane before......BUT I ENJOYED IT. SO....To keep my instructor's giggle box on the low frequency...ANY pointers???? I don't take his laughing seriously...I was crackin up too...HAD FUN!! He gave me some pointers, and I'd like to know if anyone else would like to add....things to reduce cockpit stress and work....besides jokes. Trying to take in as much as I can....advice that is...... Thanks.

How do you expect to ever "get it" if you give up? just wanted some extra info to help me out. Works for some people, and alot of Pilots will and have told me...Don't do it. But I like being up there....Alot of people say the same about getting married......however
if you give up on that....you really are at a "loss"......Ah good ole Mercan Pie...heh heh heh....aaaaah heh.

Dont worry about it. Your no different than anybody else , it may seem hectic or overwhelming the first few times you fly in busy airspace. Once you get your first flying job where your doing it every day, it won't phase you abit, you'll be numb to it.

Did a cross country today with my Instructor.....I never felt like I sucked so much at talking to FSS/approach control and stuff....Today in Tampa, FL the day was PERFECT....light winds, no clouds anywhere in sight. Never flown into a class C Airspace before(underlies class B, KTPA)...Man I had ERJ-145s up my A$$!!! I started to panic because fast moving jets was comin from seemed like all 360 degrees!!!! I felt so small and so "behind" the PA-28-161 we were in....My instructor said....you did well....I've seen guys give up and their face turn bloodshot red...but you kept hangin in there....Everything was hapnin so freakin fast!! I was sweating to keep up with the airplane, checkin points, loging check point times, ground references and charts......whew...I was so afraid to mess up....my instructor found this funny because we were at 3500ft and temps were low and I'm sweatin up a storm!!! I've never worked so hard in a plane before......BUT I ENJOYED IT. SO....To keep my instructor's giggle box on the low frequency...ANY pointers???? I don't take his laughing seriously...I was crackin up too...HAD FUN!! He gave me some pointers, and I'd like to know if anyone else would like to add....things to reduce cockpit stress and work....besides jokes. Trying to take in as much as I can....advice that is...... Thanks.

ALCOHOL and lots of it!!

no worries... I've had students do some dumb things and get overly stressed about nothing but I have done the same on occasion... you sound like you have a good attitude and are willing to learn.. you're ahead by allot

Dude, I guess your instructor really "sugar coated" the post flight brief..:rolleyes:

He needed to "keep it real"......:smash:

Ok, on a serious note....."go easy on yourself"

With more time & experience it'll get easier.....:D

Lots of beer after always helps. Don't sweat it you're a student that's how it's supposed to be. It will get better with experience. Instrument training is the one that tears your guts out.

Ask yourself: Why is do you think that your instructor actually took you into that kind of airspace?

Trust me, any instructor worth his/her weight has an ulterior motive behind everything. Everything is already pre-planned to maximize your learning during a lesson. That is especially true of cross countries, where going to one airport might be a cakewalk, while the other has you sweating bullets.

I wouldn't take getting your butt handed to you on a flight as a bad thing. A lot of times (at least with my students), students finding themselves in super busy airspace is a good thing. It means that I feel as though they have a lot of potential and I want to see how far I can take that. For example, during the instrument course I teach, the second flight is a VFR cross country to get them back into the single-engine airplane. Students that I feel are strong enough to handle it go to Phoenix Sky-Harbor (primary Class B). Students who need a bit more work before doing something like that go to Tucson (Class C). There's absolutely nothing wrong with the students I take to the slower paced airport; it might be a function of their prior training, but I'm not yet going to take them somewhere they aren't ready to handle. Soon enough.

Maybe I'm only speaking for myself, but as an instructor, I feel it's very important to explore a student's limits. I need to know where you'll "give up and have your face turn bloodshot red," because I need to know what you're ready to do, and more importantly, how you'll react when you reach that limit. I don't want to constantly push you so hard that you'll give up and get down on yourself, but at the same time, I don't want to ease back so much that you won't learn anything. Unfortunately sometimes (to the chagrin of the student), the only way to explore those limits is to make you sweat. Don't get down on yourself; it's good for ya! We're only doing it for your benefit, not to make us laugh.

The whole idea is to start loading you up with too much and see how you handle.... not for our sick amusement... ok well sometimes it's for our sick amusement..

But really... there will be many times from this point forward that you will feel overwhelmed and way behind the airplane and unsure of the situation. The first dual cross country, I let them pretty much run the show, go by their flight plan, and just see what habits they have. Some do much better than others, and that is usually the result of two things: 1) being able to trim the airplane for hands off flying, and 2) exceptional cockpit organization

Just remember, a few lessons ago it was all you could do to keep the airplane going in a straight line out in the practice area and hold an altitude. Everything builds on the basic skills.

Latest resources

Back