• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Need Info from Mooney Experts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
or how about a used Bonanza? I'm not too up on prices, but I imagine you could get a nice one for $190k.

mayday1 said:
or how about a used Bonanza? I'm not too up on prices, but I imagine you could get a nice one for $190k.
That crossed my mind reading this thread.
Heck of a better plane than a Mooney. IMHO.

wmuflyguy said:
Did part of my commercials pilots license in a Mooney Ovation. Plenty fast and it was pretty loaded EHSI, GPS, Fuel Totalizer, Dual axis autopilot. It was a bit of a pain to slow-down, but that was probably due to my limited experience in the aircraft.

It had a lot of gear problems, but that may have been due to the fact we were using it for flight training and it really isnt a good trainer aircraft. A bit tough to land due to lack of a good shock absorbtion system on the gear, it had 3 rubber disks on each gear (looked exactly liek hockey pucks)...If you werent paient it would bounce. I have the manual someplace, if i kind find it i can send you some performance numbers.

It was awesome on cross-countrys.
I used to teach in those M20R's at BTL in fact I may have flown with you. But they were $400,000 airplanes. Though they are probably selling for much less than that after being abused as trainers for 6 years. Nice to hear they are getting Arrows, much better suited to training. Just wish I could have had a chance to fly the Sabre and Conquest (only if they repaint pinky though)

I used to teach in those M20R's at BTL in fact I may have flown with you. But they were $400,000 airplanes. Though they are probably selling for much less than that after being abused as trainers for 6 years. Nice to hear they are getting Arrows, much better suited to training. Just wish I could have had a chance to fly the Sabre and Conquest (only if they repaint pinky though)
I saw the mooneys still sitting in Grand Rapids (Northern Air, i think) a month ago, when i was doing approaches with a student, apparently no buyers yet for them. The Arrow seems to be working out much better for the school. Now the talk to is to get Cirrus Aircraft to replace the 172 fleet. Cirrus has been up here a few tiems and flown some of our people down to the factory. I'll believe it when i see it though.

That conquest is an ugly shade of pink, they arent sure how long till it is airworthy, and i guess the sabre will never fly again.

Who do you fly for now? I started instructing at WMU this past August, so chacnes are we may have flown together.

Last edited:
Okay. Everybody will say Huh? Take a look at the Meyers 200. I have a weakness for the unusual. That's why I married a redheaded Irish lass.........Want two engine's? Ernie Gann's Derringer is for sale and a 190K will buy it.

BD King said:
Okay. Everybody will say Huh? Take a look at the Meyers 200. I have a weakness for the unusual.

Me too.
There's one listed on ASO with an IO-550 in it... Whaddya figure, 210 kts? :D

Sweet airplane, but if ya ever bend it, ya gotta make your own parts.

I've never flown the newer Mooneys, so I don't know, but the older Execs and Rangers don't fly as nice as an F-33 Bonanza. Though for efficiency, it's sure hard to beat an old M20C with manual gear and O-360.

For that kind of money, and just for personal travel, I like the F-33 and the AC114. Both are very comfortable, but neither would be as fast as a 252 either.

If Hi altitude performance and icing protection were important, then consider a Seneca II with boots. Yeah, it's a twin Cherokee, but I'd feel a lot better in it than a Mooney with TKS if I was in icing. And it'll haul four plus a couple Staff bags...

If you want to go fast, burn alot of gas, and carry a ton of mass. :rolleyes: Look at a comanche 400. Nothing like 190kts at 8,000.

Flyin Tony said:
If you want to go fast, burn alot of gas, and carry a ton of mass. :rolleyes: Look at a comanche 400. Nothing like 190kts at 8,000.
Yeah, but keep it off the nose gear on landing.

Just my opinion but if I had a $190k to spend it surely wouldn't be on a Mooney. May be a "nice plane" but you could get one heck of a used A-36 with the 300 hp IO-550 in it. Even a used F model, do some research on them. Most of the "Bananas" hold value quite well.

3 5 0

Latest resources

Back