Need help getting into corporate flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MVSW said:
One of my fellow pilots tried that website and NEVER even got a call. He said that he sent out alot of resume's. SO it sounds like your lucky.
That's exactly my point about the resume'. My last employer said that he initially received over 600 applications in response to the job posting. I used to get upset when I didn't receive a response, especially when I felt more than qualified for the job. "..the least they can do is let me know they received it.....RIGHT?"
Then the point was brought up (I might have even read it here), that; is it realistic that a potential employer provide a return E-mail (even a canned E-mail)for 600 individuals?
The second point is; just as I stated before; how do you stand out from a pile of 600 (or more in some cases) applicants? That's when I might consider a professionally assisted or written resume'.
Finally, I know guys that have applied to the same job eight or more times before the employer caved and granted an interview. I'm not trying to label your buddy, but did he try once or twice and give up or did he try the scatter-gun technique? The job that I have now, took three tries before I received a response. ...and I made up for the 60, or so, dollar investment in the first half hour of work.... :D

Last edited:
Climbto350.com

In the span of a year I had three companies call me just for having my resume on climbto350....I never sent them anything:)

Uncle Sparky said:
That's exactly my point about the resume'. My last employer said that he initially received over 600 applications in response to the job posting. I used to get upset when I didn't receive a response, especially when I felt more than qualified for the job. "..the least they can do is let me know they received it.....RIGHT?"
Then the point was brought up (I might have even read it here), that; is it realistic that a potential employer provide a return E-mail (even a canned E-mail)for 600 individuals?
The second point is; just as I stated before; how do you stand out from a pile of 600 (or more in some cases) applicants? That's when I might consider a professionally assisted or written resume'.
Finally, I know guys that have applied to the same job eight or more times before the employer caved and granted an interview. I'm not trying to label your buddy, but did he try once or twice and give up or did he try the scatter-gun technique? The job that I have now, took three tries before I received a response. ...and I made up for the 60, or so, dollar investment in the first half hour of work.... :D

You made some good points that we never thought about. So you saying that when he sends out his resume, he needs to send another one in a week? Where do you find a pro assisted resume? He even sent out resumes to places that he was over qualified for, and still no response. Thanks for the info

FlightTraker said:
In the span of a year I had three companies call me just for having my resume on climbto350....I never sent them anything:)

Did you spray your resume with e-pheromones? :) That is impressive! I don't think I have heard of anyone having that happen. Did the dispatcher have anything to do with it?

Websites

Another FREE job posting site is www.skyjobs.net Sign up and get a free password. Another pay site that I like to use for aircraft specific is www.135jobs.com . You can also tailor your search to Part 91, 121 or 135.
Also another board such as this one is www.pprune.com . You might try trolling there. Of course the best place to be is www.nbaa.org . Expensive ($250 per year) but you will be where the real action is.

Who was it that once said the worst 121 job is better than the best 135 job? Be careful what you wish for.

Good luck Herc

MVSW said:
You made some good points that we never thought about. So you saying that when he sends out his resume, he needs to send another one in a week? Where do you find a pro assisted resume? He even sent out resumes to places that he was over qualified for, and still no response. Thanks for the info
A follow-up letter with contact info (most chief pilots have a couple dead trees on their desks and lose track of stuff all the time), one week after the initial application is a good place to start. The natural urge for any ultra-competitive, industrious pilot is to say "..F*ck them!....they don't want to talk to me??....fine, I'll try someplace else!" On the contrary, as much as it may hurt the ol' pride muscle, you need to kill em' with kindness if you think that it is the job you really want.

The most extreme case that I know of is a guy that I used to fly with that wanted to fly at Options. He sent two résumé’s with no response other than the initial canned E-mail. For some strange reason, his life's passion was to fly for Flight Options, so he continued sending E-mails and even visited the main office several times. Finally, the chief pilot came out in person and told him "...hey, if I grant you a few minutes of my time, will you leave my secretary alone!" With his foot in the door, he was able to talk his way into the job.

As far as résumé assistance, there used to be a member here that went by "resume' writer"... (Should be a dead giveaway, I think). I can't speak from personal experience but I think Brett Hull has used her services and she used to provide a lot of free pointers on this site. I don't know if she is still around. I've been laying low for awhile (I've been busy job-hunting :D ) but if she isn't hanging around here anymore, I would just start a thread titled 'need help with résumé, or something to that affect.

I can use my own case as an example as well. I replied to a job posting on 350 with no response. A month later the job was posted again with a few slight changes. I replied to this one as well. I am a pilot/mechanic and the recruiter did contact me after my second response with "how would you feel about a chief mechanic's position with pilot's pay?" The paycheck was twice what I was making flying at my current job, so I agreed. I received a call from the chief pilot soon after, with the offer of pilot/mechanic (things were looking up). After the initial call, I wasn't contacted, by any means, for over a month. During that time I sent multiple E-mails of thanks and appreciation to both the recruiter and the chief pilot. Eventually, I was contacted by the recruiter and then the chief pilot and offered position as a Captain with the understanding that I might be needed to assist with maintenance "on occasion". So, not only did my persistence pay off in achieving the job, my demonstration of professionalism boosted my position as well.

So, I wouldn't necessarily send another résumé after a week but I would send a courtesy letter or two initially, followed by a second résumé after a month or so.

Phrogboy said:
Did you spray your resume with e-pheromones? :) That is impressive! I don't think I have heard of anyone having that happen. Did the dispatcher have anything to do with it?
..hey Phrogboy, what squadron were you in?

Uncle Sparky said:
As far as résumé assistance, there used to be a member here that went by "resume' writer"... (Should be a dead giveaway, I think). I can't speak from personal experience but I think Brett Hull has used her services and she used to provide a lot of free pointers on this site. I don't know if she is still around.

That would be Kathy Sweeney.

Here's her website.

She's currently suffering through a case of kidney stones, so she may not answer you right away. Give her a few days and she'll get back to you when she's not keeled over in agonizing pain.

She's worth every penny...

FlightTraker said:

Hey you guys have RC10? RC30? What planes do you guys do your AP?

Latest resources

Back