Need help deciding on headset.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Alin10123

Hi Everyone! Sort of new around here. I tried to do a search for this particular comparison, but it just got me even more confused. Anyways... i'm currently a student pilot. Right now i'm primarily training in either in an alarus-2000 or a cessna 172. My goal in the future is to become an airline pilot by working my way up the ladder with first CFI, then regional, then major... something like that. Anyways... i have always been told that my hearing is very sensitive. Most of the time i can quiet/soft noises from far away that others can't really hear. I would like to keep it that way. I know that often times the smaller prop aircraft are loud and can do some long term hearing damage, along with some RJ's that are supposidely fairly loud up there in the cockpit.

For those of you with experience with one, the other, or better yet both. Which ones do you recommend for me if you dont worry about the price difference? At first, i was under the impression that the bose headsets were at the top of the list. But that was before they came out with the "Clarity Aloft". These are the two that i'm torn between.

Can anyone give me some insight if you have used both of these? Did any of you hang up one to use the other full time? I would like something that i can use both in my training aircraft now, and in the future when i plan to fly jets.

One of the reasons also why i'm sort of torn is because i was under the impression that lots of the ANR/PNR combination headsets were usually better than just the PNR headsets. However... i'm now reading that supposidely the "Clarity Aloft" PNR alone is supposed to surpass most of the other headsets that use both as a combination. Do the Clarity aloft's really have PNR that's better than most of the PNR and ANR combined on other headsets?

thanks for everybody's input and suggestions.
Aaron

Personally, I went with David Clarks from the beginning. I have had my first pair of DC's since 1998 and have had no problems with them at all. I wouldn't trade them for any headset on the market today. I have tried all different kinds, including Bose, and to me are certainly not worth the money.

My first priority when wearing a headset is comfort. The bose that I have used in the past are terrible for flights over 2 hours. The ear seal barely fits over my ear, and my ears are literally throbbing after 2 hours. Maybe I am just not used to them. But, for less than half of the $, DC's I feel are worth every penny.

As far as moving on to jets, I still use the DC's in the Westwind. No complaints at all.

I just got a Clarity Aloft headset and have used it twice this week. I had a pair of DC 13.4s that I converted to ANR before. All I can say is wow what a difference! They seem to give the same level of noise reduction as my ANR headset but are SO much more comfortable, plus no battery to die. Still no problem hearing the stall horn. I've only used them for short flights so far so I can't vouch for how they work after all day use. If you haven't already, do a search-I found several threads about them.

I recommend the DC 13.4. It's really hard to beat for the money. The service from the factory is outstanding. I sent mine in for a new cord (after over 2000 hrs. of tough use) & they gave me a new head pillow, new ear seals & a new mic w/ muff for free! The 13.4 will last you and then some until you get into something quiter where you can wear something light weight.

There's nothing like a fresh muff.

Whatever you do try them on before you buy them. The ear seals should rest against your head and really nothing should touch your ears otherwise it will hurt after a while. I have the telex stratus that i bought after flying 1000 hours with a passive pair of Dave Clarks. I think they were DC 30-10s if i remember right. My DCs were fine but for me the added expense of noise canceling is well worth the money. Now i don't know how I ever stood the DC's.

Waldom

Have used the same David Clark H10-30 headset for 27 years in a variety of recip., turbine, and jet fixed-wing aircraft. It is well built, quality product with unparalleled product support.

GotBoost? said:
I just got a Clarity Aloft headset and have used it twice this week. I had a pair of DC 13.4s that I converted to ANR before. All I can say is wow what a difference! They seem to give the same level of noise reduction as my ANR headset but are SO much more comfortable, plus no battery to die. Still no problem hearing the stall horn. I've only used them for short flights so far so I can't vouch for how they work after all day use. If you haven't already, do a search-I found several threads about them.

So... basically they will be as quiet as any ANR/PNR DC headsets?

Rythm3 said:
My first priority when wearing a headset is comfort. The bose that I have used in the past are terrible for flights over 2 hours. The ear seal barely fits over my ear, and my ears are literally throbbing after 2 hours. Maybe I am just not used to them. But, for less than half of the $, DC's I feel are worth every penny.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the Bose headset that you used was NOT the Aviation X headset. I've worn mine on many four day trips, and long days, and have never experienced discomfort. That said, everyone's head is different. I'm kind of a pin-head myself, maybe you're a fat-head.:D

Anyway, I can't vouch for the Clarity Aloft, but the Bose is a great headset if you plan on flying a lot. I used them while flight instructing (including a very loud mooney) and have used them in two RJ's. I prefer to leave my headset on, even up high were it's not very loud.

I spent as much on my headset as my car and think that the headset was a better deal. Spend the money.

Good luck.

also consider how often you wear sunglasses with the headset....on anything with muff's a small break in the ear seal leads to more sound....also the temple of the sunglasses may get pressed to your head and become uncomfortable.

I've heard girls like the clarity alofts cause then they can wear earings that dont get pinched in the ear seal......

I have a Flightcom Denali Passive headset - it is lightweight and does a good job on blocking out the sound. As for the sunglasses issue - I wear a pair of Maui Jims that are lightweight and have very small ear pieces that do not interfere with the headset or cause the headset to push them into my head. A pretty good combination for me that I have found. The only problem I have with the Denali headset is that the mic boom only rotates to one side - so you are forced to work with the cord which is on your left and the mic is on the right. I prefer my mic to the left and it seems like every airplane I have been in recently has the plug in on my right making me twist myself up with the cord. Other than that I am completely happy with the headset.

Latest resources

Back