Need help and advise on going Corporate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow!
Look at what I started! I leave on a 4 day trip and come back and find that this thread has really taken on a life of it's own. BTW, thanks for all the replies and PM's. You've all really helped me have a better understanding of the ins and outs of corporate flying. I still haven't made a firm decision yet on what to do. It's hard, especially in the kind of job market we currently find ourselves in to leave a steady 121 flying job, even if the pay and bennies are sub-par. If anyone has any leads on Corporate jobs in Illinois or Texas specifically I would really appreciate a PM with any details you might have. Thanks again for your help it is greatly appreciated!

Lot of good info here, many points are made, both sides offered.

In the end it is just a one poster put it, a lifestyle choice.

I just like many I know could have gone to the airlines during the height of the recent hiring boom we saw during the 90’s. I was flying for a smaller corporate op, mostly Lear’s around the USA, nothing super-duper-monstrously-exciting, but I enjoyed it a lot and that’s what counts. I saw many nice and neat places but I also spent the night in some real hell holes shacked up in some godforsaken rattrap trying to sleep over the “boots in the dryer” music or the raucous teenage couple next door.

I made the move from a good corporate operator to a great corporate operator in late 97 and I’ve been here ever since and life is good. Pay is above NBAA standards, equipment is less than 5 years old, we have dedicated in-house maintance and we fly a lot. Some of my buddies want to fly the same line for 28 straight and be home every night.
Me I like not knowing where I’m going until the day before or later and I do not mind wearing a pager or carrying a cell phone. Call me strange…

But we go to some really nice places and I usually stay in the same hotel as the boss. When we lay over for an extended period we are usually, 98% of the time given a time to report back and then cut loose. We average 10 RON’s per month and I agree that is a lot, but I’m single, living the life of a corporate pilot and I love it.

From my paltry experience if you really want to see the world before your old, cantankerous and constantly pissed at management, driving a 767/777/747 for some monster airline, still flying the same ole JFK-LHR 3 times a month then corporate is the way to go.

But having said that, I too have heard of pilots landing a corporate job that appeared good on the surface, but turned out to be the pits. So do a little research into your company before you make that commitment, just as you would any airline you apply for.

Both careers can be fun, just depends on what you want out of a career.

Sheik
:)

Sounds like a great company Shiek. Which company do you fly for? If you don't want to post the name you can PM me.

Latest resources

Back