Need Career Advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skyrider

At 42, I decided to catch the wave and make the career change to professional pilot. Unfortunately, the economy and 9/11 got in the way right in the middle of my interviews with the regionals. At the time, it looked like a seat at a major could be as little as 2-5 regional years away however, I'm sure looking at things different ly today.

Given my age, the fractionals appear to be a great way to get some quality years of flying in without being forced out at age 60. In addition,
the quality of life of the fracs. seems to be well liked by those who post messages here and matches up well with mine & Mrs's current priorities.

I'm currently flying 135 cargo (piston twins) PIC with the possibility of some pax charters in same equip. within about a year. In addition, some
BE200 SIC pax charter opportunities currently exist for me at the company.

Question: What would be the best way for me to build the remaining experience and hours required by the fracs? I have been thinking my best path is to still pursue the regionals, then obtain the necessary ttl.time and turbine PIC time to make the transition. Without any Corporate flying contacts, this seems like the most logical route for me to follow to the fracs. I know I'm probably missing the forest through the trees here so would appreciate any and all suggestions from the group.

Thanks in advance. Sky

Skyrider-

Your questions pose an interesting topic. What is the best way to the fractionals.

I think and other's might disagree or agree with me but the fractional buisness is all about customer service.

Flying is really the second part of the job, keeping care of the owners is your first priority. Yeah i know that sounds bad but that's the way I look at it. Customer service is what they come to certain fracs, or charter for. Anybody can go from point A to B.

Flying Cargo 135 will give you some great experience flying in bad weather. You will definetly push yourself to the limits and learn about the system better than anybody.

Getting on with some charter trips is a bonus. They will give you the customer intereaction that the comnpanies want to see. Remember it's not what you know it's who you know in this industry. So while your out doing charters and cargo talk to as many people as you see. Make yourself known that you are availiable anytime anywhere. That is what will get your foot in the door.

Usually if you keep a buisness cards with you they will come valuable because operators can call you when they need a hand, warm body, or just someone to be there.

The B200 stuff SIC is a whole different thread. Make sure you research it fully before you realize your just lifting the gear and bags.

Sure you might be looking for a quick fix but make sure you can offer pax handlng problems and the variety of going into different places every different day.

Try to pursue more corporate/charter type of flying to the fullest extent.

If you have to go to a regional. I'm not bad mouthing regionals but they serve a purpose of getting you to the airlines which is not your goal.

Sure there are a ton of commuter pilots here and they are great guys and have a ton of experience but try at least to work the charter end. The light will apear.

Two years ago, a pair of netjets guys told me that 135 experience would serve me best, since I would get used to being the "everything guy" responsible for the customer's satisfaction. In addition, even though fracts are part 91 (or 91k....) they operate as if they are 135's. I'm sure there are plenty of 121 guys who get hired, but it seems to me that you are doing great right where you are.

I'll see you there in sixteen months (3500 total, 2500 jet....should be no problem).

Timebuilder said:
I'll see you there in sixteen months (3500 total, 2500 jet....should be no problem).

You are flying 1,815 hours a year???

Better check your 135 regs, I don't think they allow for that much flying... If I remember right it was:

(1) 500 hours in any calendar quarter.

(2) 800 hours in any two consecutive calendar quarters.

(3) 1,400 hours in any calendar year.

Sorry. 3000 and 2000 (includes the time I have now).

I should know better than to try and do math while watching the weather channel...

Are you really going to fly the max (1400 hours) per year???

When I flew charter (Part 135) I was VERY busy and still only managed to do about 700 hours per year... felt like I was working all the time!

Frankly, I've asked our dispatcher to use me for any trips she can.

I'm single, and getting a late start.

Timebuilder said:
Frankly, I've asked our dispatcher to use me for any trips she can.

I'm single, and getting a late start.

I hope you get paid per trip/per hour or something like that... either way be careful! Don't push too hard or you'll burn out fast....

Either way, good luck in your career and ALWAYS fly safe!

Skyrider

If I were you I wouldnt bother with the commuters and here are my reasons:
1. you will be hired, go to trainning and then sit on reserve making as much as the guy at McDonalds. Being 42 I am sure you have some sort of financial responsibility that doesnt rival the kid behind the counters pimple cream. As for training and reserve you can count on months to a year before you actually get to fly anything. So where does that get you.

2. The fractionals are an incredible place. Dont settle for some commuter if this side of the house is where you want to be.

3. Build your time however you can. Try and get the best quality time you can. While you are on the road try and meet a pilot from the company you would like to work for. The fracs guys are some of the best and most helpful in the industry.

4. Finally apply and be persistent! Make phone calls and let people know you are interested and serious.

As someome had metioned before the 135 and cargo stuff is much better experience than flying some commuter to the same place ten times a day. If you can drive to work every day in your car without crashing then you can fly for a commuter. I've never flown cargo but every cargo guy I have flown with has had great instrument skills.
Best of luck.

Latest resources

Back