• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Need advice with TSA issue.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
With situations like yours and with every TSA agent trying to get that coveted "Drunk pilot badge" there needs to be some accountability for wrongfull accusations.

Don't get me wrong, TSA could have a very good reason for putting you on the list, I have my doubts, but it could happen.

A friend of mine who flies for a regional had a similar situation occur to him. He is Canadian, and has a very average name. One day while coming back from a trip to Canada, he was pulled aside and locked in a holding room for several hours. Turns out there was some person wanted for multiple murders that had the same name...nothing else matched, but it took some time for TSA to figure out that more than one person could have the same name. His name just suddenly appeared on the no-fly list that day, even though he had just flown the day before. TSA suggested that he "change his name" so that it did not happen to him again. What a joke.

Ultrarunner...

Actually it is not the "NO FLY" list but is called a "Secondary Screening" the TSA says that I can not fly in the capacity as a pilot but can fly in the back on any airline. Go figure...

ReelBigFish....

Wouldn't you know it but I went to high school in Canada, but have attended college and all my flying jobs in the USA since 1993. So what happened to your friend does not surprise me one bit.

Stall022.....

I am working on that at this time, I gave my airline due time and by that I mean 2 weeks going on 3. I listened to what my company wanted to do with the situation as they have told me that the legal department is getting involved and that I just have to be patient and wait for the bureacracy to take its course. They have sent in letters to the DHS and TSA addresing who I am and verifying my character and background that they have know of me to date.

Again, I appreciate your advice and ideas you have posted here as I am acting on them. Regardless of the outcome I will hopefuly be able to set in motion some changes as our profession has really taken a hit over the years.

If anyone can tell me, I am curious as I have never heard about this happening before..........
Is this something that happens to pilots that are not Americans, or does it happen to people with US passports as well?
I ask as I have lots of friends that are green carder holders and wonder if they know this could happen to them. Also, one has the same name of a known criminal in Boston, that has already caused him identity problems once in the past but not with TSA.
I wouldn't want this to cause him problems, its bad enough the checks the green carders have to do already.

Maybe I am gonna write something silly since I dont know anything about the issue, but have you tried to call AOPA? I have had issues with my foreign student pilots and they helped me a lot. also if you are a member and pay an additional 50-60 dollars (not sure) you can get a lawyer from them.
Good luck anyway.

Reelbigfish said:
TSA suggested that he "change his name" so that it did not happen to him again. What a joke.

It's no joke! There is no other option than to change your name.

I have pursued this exact issue to the very top of the TSA in Washington.
Bottom line is:
Once a bad persons name is on the list, everyone in the world with the same name is on the list.
There is no way off the list unless the TSA removes the suspects name (which they don't)!
If you're an airline pilot with 20 years of service, it won't mean Jack Sh!t!

Get used to an extra 20 minutes at checkin where ever and when ever you travel jumpseat, non-rev or purchased full fare...FOREVER!

Get used to gate agents looking at you with a combination of fear and suspicion, while their computer siezes up with a message that you are a possible threat and 'Boarding Denied'. EVERYTIME!

Get used to the unveilng circus bigtop as the Station Manager says:"Huh, I've never seen this before"!

Get used to holding up huge lines of p!ssed off customers who were unfortunate enough to be behind you!

Don't bother thinking you can fix it by going up the chain of command. Trust me, I've been to the top and it's as no different than dealing with the acne faced high school dropout who thinks he's a stud because of an embroidered gold badge on his shirt!

Here’s something that may help.

First of all, I was Non-reving with my family and can’t (for the first time) print out (the night before traveling)a security document for just my 7 year old daughter. I tried to relist her with just an initial, and still wouldn’t get the computer to print one. (Which of course means that I have to wait in line at the ticket counter before I go through security.)

Well, long story short, my little girl’s name is on the list. The ticket agent explained that my daughter’s name matched someone else on the list and there was nothing that my company can do. According to her, my recourse was to speak with the TSA Ombudsman (571-227-2383) and request a Passenger identity Verification Form.

Try giving him a call, hopefully you can work something out.

Good Luck-

BD32

PS For what it’s worth, This happened last weekend, and I flew a turn yesterday with a F/A whose name is also on the list. Maybe it’s a different list, be she now (For the past three weeks) ALWAYS get secondarily screened including her luggage every time she non-revs. Unfortunately she’s an off-line commuter and so far, no real answer from the company or her union. BUT, she is allowed on the plane. Maybe because she’s on a Pass VS. trying to J/S?

Again, good luck.

The Passenger Verification Identification form, which takes about 6 months for the TSA to process, only moves your name closer to the top of the list from which they clear passengers.
Time saved in the checkin process-nothing! And the secondary screening is still mandatory. Yes, you will always get on the plane if you're a good egg, that is, if the agent is willing to hold the plane for you.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back