Need advice from fellow professionals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chperplt

I'm in the middle of a tough decision, and would like the opinions of my fellow professional pilots.

I've been flying with a captain who can barely fly to standards. His altitude control is poor, continually fluctuating 100-200 feet up and down. He routinely blows through assigned altitudes on climbs and decents and cannot fly an approach very well either. His decision making skills are poor, and will chose to land with a 25 knot crosswind if it saves him 2 minutes, rather than use the appropriate runway. Anyone who has been in the back of a 1900 will know how uncomfortable this can be for a passenger who is already apprehensive about flying in the 1900.

He was written up by a previous FO a number of times for his poor decision making skills and was given additional training and a few line checks as a result.

I am contemplating making a call to HQ to discuss the problem. I'm a pretty senior FO and feel quite comfortable with my abilities to keep him out of trouble, but I'm afraid that he's going to be flying with a new FO, or an FO who won't speak up and get into trouble. I'm also concerned with his blatant disregard for passenger comfort and the effect it will have on our company.

Help me out here.

The Capt.

Be a man and stand up and do whats right! Dont ever let anyone in life push you around, thats including captains. I almost had a physical confrontation with a captain that was broken up by another fellow pilot. In this scenario I was in the right and I stood up for what I believed in.

Make the appropriate calls and do what you need to do. I guess my attitude comes from my college wrestling days and taking things to heart that coaches told me. Plus I will be the 1st to admit that I do have an ego.

I will get off my soapbox now. I just cant stand hearing stories about people being afraid to make dedcisions because of possible repurcussions (SP?). Im a take the bull by the horns kind of guy. Bottom line , do whats right. I have got myself fired up now, I need to head to the gym and lift to get rid of some of this testostorone.

Do you work for an ALPA carrier? If so you should have a professional standards rep. I would make that your first phone call before you start down the path of getting someone fired.

Since these issues also seem to be safety related, the Pro Stans guy can also get the safety and training committies involved and everybody can have a sit down with this individual and see if problems can be identified and corrected.

However, from what you have said in your post, he has passed his line checks and landing with a crosswind vs. a headwind is a lot differant than exceeding aircraft limitations such as landing with that big of a tailwind. While you may be concerned with passenger comfort more so than this individual try to take a step back and see if this is more a clash in personalities (again, a pro stans issue) then a safety issue.

Let the folks who are trained in making these decisions step in before you ruin some guys career. These people might agree with you and start him down that path anyway...but at least it will be off your individual shoulders.

Give this guy a chance. Your first call should be to your unions "professional standards" peeps. Let them handle it.

No union.

It's not a personality clash. It's purely a safety concern. On many occasions I've strongly suggested we not do this or that, and he has listened. What's going to happen when he doesn't listen or an FO doesn't speak up is my main concern.

I've talked to him about these issues and it hasn't solved them.

The last thing I want to do is cause problems for someone or get them fired.. that's why I asked for advice.

Hmm.. sounds like an interview question????

Just curious, are you working for CommutAir??? The 1900 and no union kinda points in that direction.

Thanks!
:D

Your first responsibility is to your passengers, then yourself, and then your airline.

CRM requires that you bring up these problems with the individual first, then elevate it if it cannot be resolved. All major airlines expect you to report the problem to management - you should do no differently at the regional level. Safety is not personality based, nor is it at the expense of punitive action. I am sure the Chief Pilot will tell you that you are not the first one to complain.

Document the facts, keeping emotion and technique out of it. Point out deviations from the flight manual, ops manual, FAR's, and established operating practices such as the AIM. Give dates, times, etc.

I had to do this when I was a B1900 FO. I felt bad, but I would have felt worse if this sphincter had killed someone. In my case, no one had documented events before. They gave him some extra training and put him on notice that was being scrutinized. I heard that he straightened up a bit.

Are you Gulfstream or Colgan?

The protocal I would use in order:
1. Speak to the individual directly.
2. Go to Pro-standards with concerns, if you have a union.
3. Call the cheif pilot and tell him/her what you have observed.
4. Have other FO's call the cheif pilot with similar concerns.
5. Fill out a NASA report, naming the captain, with your observations, and FAX it to your chief pilot.
6. Send the NASA report to your POI.
7. Send the NASA report to your FSDO.

Each step turns up the volume a little more and each time you are going over someone's head. Try and get action at one level before proceeding to the next.

You are duty-bound to speak up about unsafe individuals/situations; however, keep in mind this individual may get fired or in hot water with the FAA. So make sure you have solid proof to back-up your statements.
Regards, JetProp

Latest resources

Back