• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

neat history: Spirit of St. Louis technical prep documents

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've got to admit that I too am taken aback by the technical detail. Thanks for the post; education is its own reward.

I've seen this before, and heard all the stories...over and over and over again....lol.

Ed Morrow, who was in charge of the fittings was my grandfather in-law (ex-wife's grandfather) until he died several years ago.

I used to spend hours at the SDiego Aerospace museum with him hearing all the stories and going through all of the memorabilia.

Even spent an afternoon with "Wrongway" Corrigan once. Unfortunately Doug was very old at that time and his mind slipping. He kept repeating himself the whole time.

If you go to see Spirit III that sits in the routunda of the museum, the 10' photo behind the plane was Ed's personal one. (One trademark of his photos was that he wrote all over the faces of his pictures, instead of on the back).

Surprisingly, he could still fly an airplane long after he could drive a car. I used to take him up in my old 172 and let him sit in the left seat and fly. He was well into his late 80's the last flight we ever made together and he handled it quite nicely.

My only "problem" with him was that he was just as interested in geology as he was flying and spent too much time looking down on the ground instead of where we were headed.

Latest resources

Back