Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

millhouse21

No longer in the Sand Box
Has anybody else heard about this? There's a lot of talk about it onm PPRUNE. Mostly bashing US ATC.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20050624X00863&key=1

NTSB Identification: NYC05IA095A
Scheduled 14 CFR Part 129: Foreign operation of AER LINGUS IRISH INTERNATIONAL AIRL (D.B.A. Aer Lingus)
Incident occurred Thursday, June 09, 2005 in Boston, MA
Aircraft: Airbus Industrie A330-301, registration: EI-ORD
Injuries: 381 Uninjured.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.
On June 9, 2005, about 1940 eastern daylight time, an Airbus A330-301, EI-ORD, operated by Aer Lingus as flight 132 (EIN 132), and a Boeing 737-3B7, N394US, operated by US Airways as flight 1170 (USA 1170) were involved in a runway incursion at General Edward Lawrence Logan International Airport (BOS), Boston, Massachusetts. There were no injures to the 12 crew members, and 260 passengers on the Airbus, or the 6 crew members, and 103 passengers on the Boeing. Neither airplane was damaged. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and an instrument flight rules flight plan had been filed for both flights. Aer Lingus flight 132 was conducted under the provisions of CFR Part 129, and was destined for Shannon, Ireland. US Airways flight 1170 was conducted under the provisions of CFR Part 121, and was destined for Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

According to initial information obtained from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), both airplanes were under control of the BOS Air Traffic Control Tower. The Local Control West (LCW) controller was responsible for EIN 132 and the Local Control East (LCE) controller was responsible for USA 1170. At 1939:10, the LCW cleared EIN 132 for takeoff from runway 15R, a 10,083-foot-long, 150-foot-wide, asphalt runway. Five seconds later, the LCE cleared USA 1170 for departure from runway 9, a 7,000-foot-long, 150-foot-wide, asphalt runway.

The co-pilot of US Airways flight 1170 reported that he had called "V1," and then noticed the Aer Lingus A330 rotating just prior to the intersection of runways 15R and 9. He told the captain to "keep it down," and pushed the control column forward. He further stated:

"The Airbus passed overhead our aircraft with very little separation, and once clear of the intersection, the captain rotated, and we lifted off towards the end of the runway. I reported to departure control that we had a near miss at which time Aer Lingus reported 'we concur.'"

Both airplanes were equipped with flight data recorders, which were removed and forwarded to the Safety Board's Vehicle Recorders Division, Washington, DC.

It's only a matter of time before it happens at KBOS. Not even considering obvious mistakes like this, the controllers push their luck all the time with seperation. They've tried to kill me twice there, and I only flew out of there for six months!
It's absolutely vital for anyone flying out of BOS to be aware of what's happening on other runways.

Eh welcome to boston. Now get the F out.

Oh and 170 to RIPIT

yikes!

Wankel7 said:
Man, bet they almost spilled their pints !

Bahahahaha!

Seriously, though...it looks like that Irish jet was one "cunning Lingus." :)

Kbos?

Boston??

How 'bout DCA? Jesus Christmas, been going there all month and every single call seems to be 'don't stop on the runway', 'into position and hold, be ready to go, dont back taxi, your traffic in on a two mile final.' And my favorite, 'can you accept 33?' as your on short final, cause I want to be digging out the performance manual at that time. Granted you can turn them down. I will admit, they know how to keep it moving in a small space, but with a prohibited area around and short runways, seems like they are pushing it a little too much.

Maybe its me, but I'm BOS based and DCA seems to be much more sketchy.

All I can say is thank God the US Airways F/O was on his toes -- this could have been a disaster almost on a scale with Tenerife.

KC-10 Driver said:
All I can say is thank God the US Airways F/O was on his toes -- this could have been a disaster almost on a scale with Tenerife.

No kidding - holy crap, that's scary.

Latest resources

Back