Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Medeco

SQUIB
For those who dont know Boortz, he is a local ATL AM radio talk show host who is an avid GA pilot, and hates unions as you will see. He is also heard nationwide.

BOORTZ.com

Id like to hear some response from those who can debate with words that sound like professionals.

For the record, I am a supporter of the Union and its need to be heard and dealt with in a fair manner.

Im just looking for some well thought out arguments to his comments.

Medeco

HERE WE GO WITH THE UNION PILOTS AGAIN
eastern_airlines.jpg
We'll find out soon whether or not that bankruptcy court judge is going to let Delta Airlines void their contract with the Delta pilot's union. The union, as unions will do, is talking tough. A Delta pilots union said "If our contract is rejected we will strike, and we will strike at a time and place of our choosing."
How brave! How bold! How typically union! Your employer is fighting for its very life, and you're out there beating your chest and talking about strikes.
Remember, there is precedence for this. It is quite likely that a pilot's union strike would destroy Delta airlines. Would a pilot's union do this? Hell yes they would! Have you forgotten Eastern Airlines? At Eastern you had the sad case of a union going on strike with the specific objection of destroying its own employer. Those Eastern pilots wanted Eastern Airlines to fail, and they got their wish. Some of those pilots never flew for money again ... a likely outcome that, if it were not for the union mob mentality, these pilots might have foreseen.
These Delta pilots need to ask themselves a question. Are they professional, highly skilled pilots? Or are they merely union laborers on a par with someone working an assembly line? Are they individuals, or just part of a mob?
What do I think? I don't think they're stupid enough to go on strike. Maybe that's just wishful thinking. They are, after all, union members

He needs to read a little history before pontificating on the EAL strike.

I've listened to him before. He claims to be a libertarian, but in fact he's just another right-wing windbag.

Medeco said:
HERE WE GO WITH THE UNION PILOTS AGAIN
http://boortz.com/images/eastern_airlines.jpgWe'll find out soon whether or not that bankruptcy court judge is going to let Delta Airlines void their contract with the Delta pilot's union. The union, as unions will do, is talking tough. A Delta pilots union said "If our contract is rejected we will strike, and we will strike at a time and place of our choosing."
How brave! How bold! How typically union! Your employer is fighting for its very life, and you're out there beating your chest and talking about strikes.

What could possibly motivate a group of highly-regarded, well-compensated professionals to threaten their livelihood? Could it be something other than "supidity", as Boortz claims?

The airline is not "fighting for it's life". It is trying to do what UAL and AAA did...reduce costs, which in-turn encourages investment, which in-turn leads to reorganization of the corporation.

Perhaps Boortz could pontificate on the amount of money the managers "fighting for its very life" paid themselves after the employees had taken dramatic cuts in pay, benefits, and work rules.

Medeco said:
Remember, there is precedence for this. It is quite likely that a pilot's union strike would destroy Delta airlines. Would a pilot's union do this? Hell yes they would! Have you forgotten Eastern Airlines? At Eastern you had the sad case of a union going on strike with the specific objection of destroying its own employer. Those Eastern pilots wanted Eastern Airlines to fail, and they got their wish. Some of those pilots never flew for money again ... a likely outcome that, if it were not for the union mob mentality, these pilots might have foreseen.

Maybe it's not "mob mentality", but rather rational people who are proud of thier profession, and don't want to see it destroyed by slash-and-burn short-timers who come on board to make a quick buck. When was Mr. Grinstein hired? How long had Lorenzo been at EAL? Show me Tilton's 5-year pin.

Delta Airlines isn't the suits at Fort Widget. The company is the people who fly, fix, clean, and board the planes. How dare the employees have a say in the future of their company! That's "mob mentality" to Boortz.

Medeco said:
These Delta pilots need to ask themselves a question. Are they professional, highly skilled pilots?

ipso facto

If Boortz is actually a pilot himself, then he knows the answer to that one. If he can't comprehend why pilots would fight for their profession, maybe he should ask why every US airliner crash is his lead story for a month.

Medeco said:
Or are they merely union laborers on a par with someone working an assembly line? Are they individuals, or just part of a mob?

By Boortz's logic, those who threaten to quit because they aren't getting paid enough are part of "mob". Howard Stern (another DJ) signs for $1-billion. So when, in contract negotiations, he refused XM's offer of $600-million, he was a virtual "assembly line" worker? Since when is threatening to quit unless a fair deal is made, un-American?

Medeco said:
What do I think?

Trisket's are the bomb? Aliens have been stealing your luggage? Cher is a hottie? Polar bears like chili beans?

There is no end to the dopey things you COULD think...so you're going to have to narrow the options a bit...

Medeco said:
I don't think they're stupid enough to go on strike. Maybe that's just wishful thinking. They are, after all, union members

And some are...gasp...Lutherans! Others are...shudder...veterans! A few are...I KNEW it...homosexuals! Many of them are...shock...decent men and women who think Boortz is a moron.

Last edited:
Hi, it's Dave. It's wonderful to see that if you educate a pilot properly, even they will see that pilot wages truly can be the downfall of this troubled industry.

Neal Boortz' comments on DAL Union are one-hundred percent correct. He is a great American, and knows what must be done to keep the engine of capitalism turning.

Obvioulsly it's NOT managements' severence packages that are hurting the airline. No, lets put the blame on the pilots.

Neal Boortz is a moron.

But hey, what do I know, I don't have an MBA!

Last edited:
In an ideal world, we wouldn't need unions.

It's not an ideal world.

I hate ALPA. They're aren't worth the money I pay.

DALPA will settle on a concessionary contract right before an 1113(c) petition is filed with the court.

I will ask Neil this, "What's the purpose of a contract?" Particularly if you can't or won't honor it. If Boeing and the other creditors can evenutally get their money through a renegotiated contract in bankruptcy, why can't a labor union?

HalinTexas said:
In an ideal world, we wouldn't need unions.

It's not an ideal world.

I hate ALPA. They're aren't worth the money I pay.

DALPA will settle on a concessionary contract right before an 1113(c) petition is filed with the court.

I will ask Neil this, "What's the purpose of a contract?" Particularly if you can't or won't honor it. If Boeing and the other creditors can evenutally get their money through a renegotiated contract in bankruptcy, why can't a labor union?

This is exactly what I was looking for. Short ,simple, and on point. Very nice.

Medeco

What people like Boortz always fail to mention is that we just can't leave and go to another airline without having to start over at the bottom. When you are in that position it puts things in an entirely different perspective.

GogglesPisano said:
He needs to read a little history before pontificating on the EAL strike.

I've listened to him before. He claims to be a libertarian, but in fact he's just another right-wing windbag.

..and Duane Worthless is a left-wing windbag..whats the difference? They both Talk, Talk,Talk! The results NO ACTION!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back