Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Navy reserve looking for more pilots....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Full of LUV

Navy reserve squadrons will be conducting a joint hiring board this winter in Jan. VR squadrons across the country are in need of new pilots. Plenty of opportunity, best odds if you live in or near the location. Junior most current are the most competitive. Here is a current listing......
VR-1 DC
VR-46 Atlanta
VR-48 DC
VR-51 Hawaii
VR-52 Pennsylvania
VR-53 DC
VR-54 New Orleans
VR-55 Oxnard
VR-56 Norfolk
VR-57 San Diego
VR-58 Jacksonville
VR-59 Fort Worth
VR-61 Whidbey
VR-62 Brunswick ME
VR-64 Pennsylvania

Those squadrons will all be hiring and they fly either C20's, C37's, C9's, C40's, or C130's..... plus some locations have C12 opportunities. PM me if you need more information.

Yes

Do you have to have previous military flight training?

Yes, but the Navy will accept a limited number of "wings of lead" from the Air Force. Actually all military trained pilots can join the Navy Reserve, even the Coast Guard from the Dept of Transporta....oops the Dept of Homeland Security!

Possible?

Don't know if anyone would ever want to do this, but is there any provision where someone already retired from active duty could serve in the reserves?

MT

If only I could have gotten a spot in flight school 15 years ago..... Blast my awful vision.... I'm guessing 20/200 still doesn't cut it.

I'd be all over this if it wasn't for my damn vision! :rolleyes:

Good opportunity for folks out there....

Here's the big question, what's the age limit for someone with prior military flight training?

The normal max age limit is 60 for military service of any sort (High Year Tenure rules kick most folks to the curb long before that unless you are a General/Admiral).

The only aviation-specific age limit is about 28 yo to start UPT.

I know of two guys who came back as O-3's over age 40...I know of no reason you could not do it older than that, except they usually want to ensure that you are young enough to finish out your 20 years for retirement. If you had 12 years AD, and were 51, they would probably take you because you need 8 more years, and you can get before age 60.

If you had 5 years AD and were 46, I suspect you are SOL, because you would come up short on 20 years at age 60.

If you were a military flyer in a former life, the key issue is going to be HYT (years of commissioned service) for your former rank.

Say you got out as an O-3 and stayed in the IRR (you probably did even if you didn't realize it) then you would immediately be up for O-4 when you rejoined the navy...hopefully your prior record was pretty good, but I have known at least one "old timer" who returned as an O-3 and immediately got boarded for O-4 and did not select because his AD record was luke-warm and he had no recent reserve history to make up for it.

I have also heard that they are now letting you serve one year before giving you an O-4 board...only fair to allow you to establish a track-record in the reserves.

Last edited:
Also note that the sea services (Navy/USMC/USCG) do NOT hire off the street for reserve pilot jobs...you MUST have prior military flight experience (any service).

Latest resources

Back