Navy Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hobe

Last year I decided against getting wrapped up in the Navy's PRK Accession program for civilians wanting to go to flight training. Wanted to go into the Navy all my life but I barely busted the vision requirement (Results were 20/50 during my flight physical and the requirement was 20/40). I was given the option of doing the PRK and getting the waiver in what was then a very new program and I decided against it because I didn't know what would happen with the program and because of other possible complications with vision, faa medicals, etc.... Well I've second guessed my decision ever since and being furloughed now has given me the opportunity to bail and do it differently. Has anyone had PRK? Known anyone who has, or seen guys come through flight training who got the waiver? Did they have any complications? After being in the airlines about a year, I'm thinking about a career change already. General opinions are also appreciated.

I was in the Navy and had PRK done about a year and a half ago with no regrets. I was 20/100 uncorrected and improved to 20/15. I had it done during the Aviator Retention program by the chief surgeon at Balboa (San Diego). It was a huge decision on my part but I felt the benefits outweighed the calculated risks. The % of those who I know that have experienced problems is very, very small. However these are the only pair of eyes you will ever have and the onus is on you to take care of them. I would suggest you look into the AF flight program before you make the PRK choice unless you are hard-over about going into the Navy. The AF standards for vision requirements are a little less strict than the Navy's. I believe 20/70 is the uncorrected maximum. Be sure and do your homework before you sign the dotted line. Good luck.

Just so there is no confusion. I posted the previous response under the name 'skeeter'. I recently registered and unbeknownst to me I registered with a current members username and password. So apologies to the "real" skeeter if you happen upon this post you never made.

Check to see if the Navy is taking LASIK now. I know it was under review in January, maybe they made a decision.

If you decide on PRK, find a surgeon that has done many of them. I've only known a few that had PRK in the flight program, none ever had any problems with it.

Good luck!

Not really interested in the LASIK procedure, for my correction it seems to run alot more risks. Good to hear that you've seen people i the program that had it done though.
Navyguy- Did the guard unit you're in have any issues with it?

PRK....

I had PRK in January, my vision was bad enough I had to wait 6 months before applying. Kind of stinks though, I lost all my motivation during the wait...I got a good paying job, and am having second thoughts about the Navy. Anyways, I had great results with PRK, and can only imagine if you decide to go to a well-respected surgeon, you would to. Anyways, my application went out about a week ago, and If I do get in, I'll have to do some real thinking before accepting. Good luck.

Hobe,
The only problem I had with the Guard was waiting for the AF to approve my waiver. It took approximately 5 months to get the waiver through though. Be forewarned, all waivers must receive final approval from the Chief of Staff of the Air Force, Gen. Jumper. Hence the reason it takes so long. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back