Navy Flight Slot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

701EV

Is there a way to find out from the selection board why you were denied a flight slot and offered an NFO slot.

Thanks,

Not really without having somebody on the inside. It can be anything from not being qualified or not having any pilot slots. Talk with your recruiter to see if they have more info. I was turned down for pilot on my first board due to a competitive slate, but reapplied for the next board and got picked up. I wouldn’t take NFO (Non-Flying Officer / No Future Occupation)

DevilDawg,

Thanks,

Is there a way to find out from the selection board why you were denied a flight slot and offered an NFO slot.

Thanks,
Famous old "Needs of the Service", you graduate top of your class from basic, you want jets, there are no jet slots that week, only prop, CRP there you go, and you gets orders to the VR outfit flying C-118's when you get your wings.

I would take the NFO slot and beg for a flight slot for the next 10 years, I know a few guys who were able to make the move. One is now a very senior Captain a USAirways.

Have you looked at the other services USMC, USCG, Army?

They actually have special selection boards, almost every year, for NFO's who want to go pilot, so it is not that rare. The withdrawl of the F-14 and S-3 around the same time led to a lot of NFO's being displaced. It is not a bad way to make a living and you can have a great career even if you never get to be a Navy pilot. The way the aviation industry is right now, if you can do 20 years in the Navy and start collecting a pension in your late 40's its probably the smartest move you can make. The furlough and pay cuts aren't as bad when you get that check every month.

If all you want it to be a Navy pilot, them decline NFO and apply for NA again.

If you want to serve and want to do it in aviation - take the NFO slot. From a retired NFO, there is a lot of fun to be had in that career. But don't be a NFO who always thinks/acts/talks "I should have been a pilot".

And there is a future on the outside as a NFO. It might not be in the airlines but former military officers are highly valued as managers and the knowledge/experience a NFO acquires in his aircraft specialty can lead to big dollar jobs in the defense industry. I know plenty making what I do or more.

Don't count on a NFO to pilot transition in the Navy. The program exists, many apply, few are selected.

And there is outside flying hope. This retired NFO is a 767 Captain and I personally know 3 more that are pilots with major airlines. My NFO time didn't get me an interview but once in the interview my FO experience was definitely a leg up.

As a retired USAF EWO/WSO, I also suggest that if you really want to be a professional pilot you hold out for a pilot slot.

. But don't be a NFO who always thinks/acts/talks "I should have been a pilot".
AMEN!

If, on the other hand, you like flying, have less need for external affirmation than the average pilot, and want to be a military officer then consider the NFO option.

If you do become an NFO you need to be thinking from day one about what you'll do when you leave the service. If you don't, you'll wind up as a face in a Lockboerupht cube farm, worried sick that your project is about to be canceled.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back