Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Spooky 1

For you black shoes that may be on board. Would a Navy Seal enlisted man
where "whites" and if not, what would the uniform be?

I'm pretty sure they would. If I remember correctly, a Seal has a normal "rate" like quatermaster and then they are a Seal as the job code. I believe they wear a normal uniform except camo instead of those stupid dungarees for a work uniform.

Anyone else, correct me if I'm wrong.

Nearly everybody wears cammies these days. Can't say I've seen any seals in dungarees. There's yet another uniform make-over in the works.

Len said:
I'm pretty sure they would. If I remember correctly, a Seal has a normal "rate" like quatermaster and then they are a Seal as the job code. I believe they wear a normal uniform except camo instead of those stupid dungarees for a work uniform.

Anyone else, correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm with you on this...sailors have to maintain and wear a dress uniform, just like pilots and everybody else...Jarheads included. The SEAL would wear his dress whites for duty and functions that required a dress uniform and his SEAL pin would be part of the uniform, Unless the SEAL was an E-7 or above, then he'd be wearing a Chief's dress uniform...which is similar to an officer's dress uniform.

I don't know if they changed the rules in the Navy since I got out, but the rules were that you couldn't wear utilities going in or out of the main gates unless you were in a govt vehicle. You had to be in dress uniform or civies, if you were coming in or out of the gates off duty.

Thanks for the info. I had saw this young guy at the airport and he was in civies but had his dress whites in a clear bag and on the chest were about a half dozen medals, not ribbons mind you but the original medal, of which two were Purple Hearts. Just got me to thinking were would a sailor get a Purple Heart these days unless he was perhaps on a Seal Team?

A couple of places come to mind. Iraq. Afghanistan.

Smart Ass Answer

sky37d said:
A couple of places come to mind. Iraq. Afghanistan.

Yes, I am not ignorant of current events, thank you. Just wondering if the guy was perhaps a Seal and if they wore the traditional Navy enlisted Navy whites.

Spooky 1 said:
Thanks for the info. I had saw this young guy at the airport and he was in civies but had his dress whites in a clear bag and on the chest were about a half dozen medals, not ribbons mind you but the original medal, of which two were Purple Hearts. Just got me to thinking were would a sailor get a Purple Heart these days unless he was perhaps on a Seal Team?
Uhhhhh...not all navy personnel involved in combat operations are in the TEAMS.

I was stationed at a diving and salvage unit...our armory inventory had enough pistols, revolvers, M-14's, M-16's, M-60's, belt fed Brownings and special purpose grenades, to ensure that riverine salvage operations would not be unduly interupted by the slopes during Vietnam. Why would IRAQ, be any different?

I wasn't in during Vietnam, but just after. I was privy to the inventory list, the arms were being held for us in storage at the base armory.

There are a lot of people in the navy that could see an injury during conflict besides SEALS. Regular sailors that operate the riverine warfare boats use machineguns, grenade launchers, handguns and explosive ordinance to do their job, like any other war fighter. And when they get their boat sunk out from under them, other navy personnel will most likely have to re-float or scuttle that piece of crap for them and they don't like getting shot while trying to do their job either.

The SEALS aren't the Navy's only armed war fighting personnel...but they are the Navy's SPECIAL forces.

COSRIVRON and ASSAULT BOAT UNITS are not SEALS...just sailors who perform riverine and coastal combat patrol duties as part of their job.

Spooky 1 said:

If he was a SEAL he'd have a Gold Budweiser logo about the size of a dinner plate above those medals.

Might of been a medic with the Marines. There's a lot of jobs that aren't SpecOps that still see combat.

Maybe he got a scratch by throwing a grenade to close to shore,then put himself in for a purple heart. John Kerry had the system down:D.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back