Navajo Pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rally

Difficult decision. Do a regular job and wait for the regionals. (regular meaning outside aviation) or do this Navajo Job. 23,000 year 24/7 on call fly about once a week. Wash the airplane do EVERYTHING for the owner for his trips etc. Is it worth it? Also year contract of about 4 grand? Am I getting ripped off?

Absolutely too low!! That is theft. You are being asked to be in charge of EVERYTHING and they want to pay you what an assistant manager at McDonalds would make. Something's gotta change in this industry.

My 2

There are two ways to look at this. One figure out how much it is per hour for a whole year for you to be on call, which figures out to be 1.05 per hour. Or figure out how how much flying it's going to actually be and figure it out that way.

Managing a part 91 Navajo is like managing a Honda Civic. If you are waiting for an airline job and this guy only flies once a week and wants you to take care of his airplane, do stuff like cut grass, instruct or something like that to fill in the time, it's better than getting completely out of aviation and then trying to get back in. Looks better on a resume too. I don't know your financial situation but, you have a base salary of 27,000 and everything else is just icing on the cake.

No offense to pudnocker, but an owner must be a rich crackhead to pay someone 53k to manage a navajo.

The pay still beats a starting regional job.

You mean to tell me you made 53K per year managing a Navajo? That equates to saying that a person responsible for managing a Gulfstream is equal to making a million a year. I have friends that manage multiple large jets that make 100-200 a year. Small/non-jet PIC is like a King Air or something like that, maybe the pay scale is a lot different in Florida, I mean I've heard of some rediculous salaries, but 53k for a managing and flying a single Navajo? C'mon. Maybe your one of the lucky ones.

Last edited:
Made $40k plus benefits doing exactle what you describe out of Ohio. That's a fair rate for the job and aircraft. I'm making $50k now flying a navajo for a different company plus benefits and I don't do anthing but fly it. If you have any leverage I would surely try to get more $$$. Experience level is also a factor in starting pay but don't sell yourself short.

Things must be completely out of whack over here in the mid-atlantic. My friends who are Navajo captains are making 25k a year. Another guy who manages one makes 35k year. I'm definitly gonna spread the word.

Last edited:
Gearmunky said:
There are two ways to look at this. One figure out how much it is per hour for a whole year for you to be on call, which figures out to be 1.05 per hour. Or figure out how how much flying it's going to actually be and figure it out that way.

Managing a part 91 Navajo is like managing a Honda Civic. If you are waiting for an airline job and this guy only flies once a week and wants you to take care of his airplane, do stuff like cut grass, instruct or something like that to fill in the time, it's better than getting completely out of aviation and then trying to get back in. Looks better on a resume too. I don't know your financial situation but, you have a base salary of 27,000 and everything else is just icing on the cake.

No offense to pudnocker, but an owner must be a rich crackhead to pay someone 53k to manage a navajo.

The pay still beats a starting regional job.

I know a guy that makes 40k plus bennies to fly a Cirrus. He has 700 hour tt.
I also know a guy that flies a Lear PIC for 33k with no bennies. He has 4000tt

You are worth what you settle for.

Latest resources

Back