• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Navaid id?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But is that identifier on the PFD for the localizer, or its associated DME transceiver? It's worth checking your equipment's manual to find out for certain.

In most equipment I've flown that displays an identifier on the screen, it's the DME's ID being shown, not that of the VHF transmitter. And in such equipment, I do indeed listen to the morse code ID to verify that it's transmitting, and with the correct ID.

Remember that a DME, while usually co-located with a VHF transmitter, is an entirely separate UHF transceiver. It's possible for the DME to work while the localizer is offline.

As I said, check the books on your specific plane to find out for sure.

I agree with all of what you say. I'm simply fessing up that in the aircraft we fly, we have been trained that ID'ing the Morse code signal is no longer necessary. I would have other indications if the DME was working and the localizer was out (like a big red flag) Additionally, even though the frequency tuned, if it did not ID, I would not get course guidance (railroad tracks) or Nav Transfer. Additionally, my OSP on the chart would probably not match with the localizer. We load our approaches through the FMS, and let it auto-tune. I'm sure there is some way to screw it up, but I haven't found it yet.

From an old AvWeb article:
Most pilots were taught to listen to and verify the Morse code identification of VOR stations, but many pilots don't realize that DME also has identification. When a VOR and DME are co-located (as in a VORTAC or VOR-DME station), the DME transmits the same coded ident as the VOR, but sends it during the pause between successive VOR idents. The DME ident is also higher-pitched: 1350 Hz compared with 1020 Hz for a VOR ident.

So apparently even if I did listen to the Morse code ID, if I am unable to distinguish a 1350Hz pitch from a 1020Hz pitch, I could still mess it up. I don't get too wrapped up in a navaid ID when I have multiple sources of backup information to help my SA. If I were flying a Cessna 172, I would certainly check the ID, just to make sure I didn't tune the wrong navaid.

Last edited:
We have been trained the same way in our aircraft. We dont enter the freq at all in the nav radio. We load the approach in the FMS and everything else auto-tunes. (freq, course, switches over to green needles, etc)

In the proline 21, in school by different people we were told that if the auto tune feature is used and it works it is the same as listening to the IDENT. Doesn't mean it's true and I have not anything in writing to back it up. But we do it.

Latest resources

Back