• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PUNISHER

You got any tinfoil?
National Pilot Academy

Does anyone have any personal experiences good or bad with this school. I have a friend interested in starting his flight training at the Carson City campus. I would appreciate some info from any former/current students or instructors. Thanks,
T

Last edited:
well to start, I was a CFI there a few years ago(Cedar City) where they got started... I'm not a bitter ex employee just want to give the facts..

They were called professional flight instruction then... they changed their name after a couple of accidents in a couple of months for what i Believe was insurance reasons... they made some poor financial decisions which resulted in our two main 172's to be locked up by the owner for lack of payment...

when I was there they emphasized "accelerated training" which was way too accelerated..."Private in two weeks" and I'm not saying it can't be done but you can't advertise it being done until you have actually done it at least once...they also were advertising as if they were "connected" with Skywest but that soon ended after Skywest heard about it... the founders of NPA "pfi" have a relative that works at Skywest that is how they were trying to swing the "in"..

when students would enroll they would normally secure their loan through pilot career foundation and would charge their card for the full amount... big numbers when your talking about private to CFII.. this was a violation of PCF so they had that yanked also by them... can't remember who the started financing through after that... If a student tried to leave early they wouldn't have any money left on their loan sometimes and it wasn't because they flew to much...

lastly All this happened within a year that I was there and all though I have heard better stories about worse flight schools I don't trust the management... If your friend decides to go a few things for him to remember

keep track of his loan money..(do this through his financial service not NPA)
watch what he signs
promises often fall through
they don't have any ties to other airlines(their 100% job placement is of about 10 students the last I heard)

I still hear allot obout them since they are the main flight school in my home town.. mostly negative but it's hard to find a credible flight school any where so just careful with this one... things might have changed since I was there but that's only because law suits would come into play not because they wanted to better the school

Last edited:
I looked into the school about a year ago. They fly 172s and the price is outrageous, something like 40K for o to CFI, basically all single engine. I asked them what is the difference from the local school where I can do it half the price, they used the Skywest card(no proof) and one on one training. No housing, nothing extra. They seemed a little shady so I never called them back. They've been calling about once every 3 months ever since. Never trust a school that is desperate enough to search for students.

Dude did you hear what a former employee said??

Yes, that's why Iam asking if anyone has had a good experience. I'm just trying to get all the information I can to help the guy out. My friend lives in South Lake Tahoe, he wants to get some decent training and still be able to commute to school. If anyone has any suggestions for that area I would love to hear from you.
Thanks

Latest resources

Back