Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PurpleTail

Is that RMB or USD???
I have been trying to research different cell phone sevices (AT&T, Verision, Cingular, Sprint) and decide which one is best for national coverage? Who better to ask than my fellow aviators.

As a pilot for FedEx, I occasionally travel to some less populated areas such as Montana, Wyoming, Oregon, and Maine. Most of the new calling plans now-a-days offer "No Roaming/No Long Distance" "Free Night and Weekends" but how good are they really and what are the catches? Most of the time you have to be calling FROM their network to call anywhere and if you are not than there IS roaming charges.

I currently have AT&T, and the service is good, but I feel like I am paying an arm and a leg for VERY basic service ($60/mth for only 450 minutes). I can make calls to anywhere FROM anywhere and it doesn't matter what network I'm on.

Please tell me if you are happy with your service and which service to avoid at all cost and any other info you think would be helpful.

Thanks so much. Fellow aviator.

:confused:

There was a very good thread on this a few months back. Try searching the forum.

Really matters where you live and where you are.

I would avoid sprint like PFT. I would choose not to have a cell phone if Sprint was the only outfit around.

Att, Cingular, and Verizon all have decent service depending on where you live.

I use AT&T. Love the service. I have digital one rate, which allows me to call from anywhere in the country with no fees, period. It's nice to not have to worry about it. It's not cheap though (I pay 60/month for 450 anytime minutes and 4000 off peak and weekend minutes), and I think you can find some better deals through Sprint. But AT&T's customer service is FAR better than Sprint's, and I'm willing to pay a bit extra for it.

I've spent time in Socal, Ohio, Indiana, New Mexico, Arizona, and am based in Texas. Never had a problem with service in those areas at least, even when I'm miles from anywhere.

My only complaint is with the phones that AT&T uses. I'm not a big fan of my 'baby Nokia'. I'd prefer one of those Samsung's that use Sprint's network. I hear the new Motorola V90 phone is nice, but at 300 bucks retail, it's steep.

The new Mot phone is worthless. I have a buddy that has had 3 new phones because of issues with it- all different issues like not ringing, not going into voicemail etc.

Everytime we are out doing something his wife ends up calling (and getting through) me to talk to her husband. I have the 69.00 Nokia and he has the 300.00 mot both on cingular.

I've had to replace my baby Nokia twice for things like buttons that stop working. I don't THINK I abuse my phone that much!

thanks for posting this

I was just about to post the same question and BAM, there is the post in front of my face.

Cingular is trying to rip me off for moving.

Voice stream has a great family deal
2 phones
unlimited calls between the two
total nationwide
no nights
weekends
800 minutes

I need the best family deal, any better out there?

Either way I have to change phone numbers (**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**) but overall if you have a family and are a pilot Voicestream is best so far.

Please let me know about any better.

censor

gosh censor X 4 and all i said was a word with a D an A a M and a N

But this message board is still the best (it rocks)

cell phone company

I liked AT&T while I had it. When I moved from Texas to New York I was forced to switch to Verizon. I feel that it has provided much better service at a slightly better rate. I would have stayed with AT&T if I hadn't moved and wouldn't know what I was missing. They both have great coverage with some gaps. Verizon just seems to have less gaps. My 2cents.

i have had a mot phone with verizon for about 3 years. the first 2 years were ok but had phone problems and reception problems. this last year since verizon fixed all thier merger problems the service has been excellent. The reception has been great anywhere in the USA. They had to take the phone and run a new computer program on it and the phone problems went away.
My company gave me a nokia phone with AT@T and the reception was terrible in remote areas and sometimes in parts of major citys. I had to use the mot alot of places. Verizon has improved alot lately.

Machspeed

Latest resources

Back