nasty lookin log book

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
User997 said:
What about my situation though where I typically won't fill out my logbook for months at a time (I keep track of my flight times on an Excel sheet). Then typically i'll sit down one afternoon and fill out months of flight times and trips in one sitting. I've always wondered if this will look suspicious to someone or if it was no big deal.

I do the opposite. I fill out my logbook within a couple of days of a flight, if not that day. I keep a backup Excel spreadsheet that I update once or twice a month.

If you decide to put your logbook on computer, that should be fine for an interview. You only needed your signoffs (solo, x-country, ect) when they applied. I do keep a copy of the signoffs I get from sim training every year in the back. I had a meeting with the FAA a few years ago. The inspector reviewed my computerized log print out and was impressed with how neat it looked. Basiclly, it doesn't matter how you log your time, as long as you have a record of it.

Not to hijack the thread but, has anyone ever had a logbook stolen or otherwise lost permanently? I would think that would be a nightmare.

I'm planning on storing a new back up (two words in this instance?) of my logbook pro info at a relative's house or a safety deposit box, and changing it out every once in a while with an updated disk. Anyone ever do anything like this? I would hate to lose all of my info to fire, theft, earthquake, etc.

I store my paper logbook in a fire-proof safe. I keep a backup of logbook pro on a jump drive in my flight bag. Both are kept updated. Every several months I back-up my logbook to disk and put it in the fireproof safe along with the logbook.
As far as neatness goes, everytime I make an entry I use the same brand of pen, I try to write neatly, and I try to not make mistakes, although it does happen. When it happens I use a light green white-out to correct it. The light green matches the light green of the Jepp logbook. If the mistake was made in the dark green section, oh well. At least the light green looks better than bright white, white-out.

I took my ATP ride with the FAA back in May. I only have an electronic logbook now. I printed off the last cumulative year of flying, and he was more than happy with that.

And yes, I am one of the few Morons that have their Single Engine ATP.

viper548 said:
You could start over with a new one and keep the old one for the endorsements

Take the new one and the old one to interviews.

Interviewers don't care about your endorsements!! They want to see you have the ratings. I doubt you won't get hired because you have a neat logbook.

I like the free logshare.com . I update it every time I fly, and then take the paper log out of my firesafe and update it a few times a year.

Everytime I update logshare, use its export function to save an excel compatable csv file. I have had a couple of times when logshare was offline for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Nasty logbook - It is not the end of the world, here is one suggestion…

First of all, try to go through your logbook PAGE BY PAGE and see which numbers don’t add up (yes, I know it’s boring). When you’re done with that, on the last page of your logbook create a simple correction chart. For example:

Aug 15, 2000 2.1 hours PIC is in error, the correct number should be 1.2 Hours PIC
Sept. 11, 2000 3.9 hours multi is in error, it should be 3.9 hours single.
Etc.
Etc.

At the end of that page, or pages, just add up your times and write a short statement saying all flight times in your logbook have now been audited and corrected. Put a date on it, sign it, you’re good to go.

Good luck to you,

av80r :)

Latest resources

Back