Nastiest Hotel for an airline?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nastiest Hotel at Midwest Connect

Here's the hotel that inspired my thread. It's.... (drumroll please)... the Pine Mountain Resort in Iron Mountain, Michigan. They use the term 'resort' loosely, that's for sure.
Like someone else here posted, it follows the trend of putting you in a hotel way out in the middle of nowhere, while there's plenty of places to stay in town. Probably saves .03 cents a night.
The adventure begins with the cab ride to the hotel. It's a large van that the taxi service usually uses to haul drunks, so there's no carpet, the easier to wash out the vomit. The back door doesn't open, so you sit on your luggage. The side door only opens from the outside, so you're trapped if there's any sort of accident, or if the van driver steps out for a smoke.
Anyway, once you get there, the lobby looks great, it's really deceiving.
Then you go to the rooms... The hallways to the rooms are dimly lit and not well heated in winter, which is a problem when OAT's are in the single digits... BELOW ZERO. Once in the room, you're treated to a lovely shade of 1970's baby blue paint. Again, dingy, nasty, yellow light illuminates part of the room near the door and bathroom nook. If you want more light, you can try and open the sagging blinds that don't really open anymore. If you look closely, you can see where the carpet doesn't quite reach the wall, and are treated to the subfloor underneath. The real treat is the bathroom. First of all, you can only open the door about halfway, because it hits the toilet. You have to get in, shuffle to the side, hold your breath, and close the door. If you decide taking a shower is worth the risk, you will see the black mold spots above the shower module that discolor all the paint above the 6 foot level in the room. It gives the wall a really cool, textured sort of Trading Spaces paint effect. The surface of the tub enclosures are all chipped or worn away, especially near the drain, exposing large areas of yellow fiberglass underneath.
I'm going to take pictures someday to remind myself of the fun I had while working at a regional :)

I've enjoyed the stories, I hope there's more to come!

Hey Jerky Boi,
I'm gonna have to also vote for Pine Mt in IMT but a very close second is the Model Town INN inSAW I would almost drive the 40 plus miles to MQT on a standup then stay there but they do let us abuse the cars. See Ya Fish

Jobear

I should probably add that I have yet to stay in a Clarion hotel that didn't make me want to sleep in the parking lot instead.

Hagerstown... Fleas, a dog poo on a comforter (or so a flight attendant alleged), and an elevator that is about 300deg in the summer and is so slow that you got the sauna treatment. Upside was the front desk manager that had her own website where she showed off her big, store-bought boobs. Van ride was nearly 25mins from the airport.

Cleveland... Rooms approx. six miles from the front desk. Upside was the hotel bar's deck in the summertime, a major meat market.

Toledo... Long ride, also something like 25mins from the airport. Otherwise unremarkable but for the long walk to the rooms, just like CLE (and HGR, for that matter).

I feel like I may be missing one Clarion, but the good news is that we don't stay in ANY of them anymore.

Wish I could remember the name of it....maybe some other older CoEx folks can.... but the motel that we used to stay in Lake Charles I think topped anyplace I've ever stayed in my life. Though the truck stop hotel CoEx used to put us up in GPT was a close 2nd.

Wayfarer in MHT! Hands down the worst. They should have let the WHOLE thing burn to the ground!

While I've never stayed there, I hear from the other CommutAir pilots that the Airport Plaza hotel in PIT was quite the sewer. I've heard everything from a questionable substance in the sheets to the 0230 wake-up call as FedEx roars into 28R.

Hey I.P, did you guys change your hotel in TOL? I know you used to stay at the Super 8 with us (MMMMMM.......free beer........)

Nah, we still stay at the lovely Super-Duper 8 in TOL. The Clarion is where we stayed up until a year ago... And a change for the better it surely is!

Those burritos they have in the "crew freezer" are like crack. I watched one of our (male) flight attendants knock off four of them at one sitting. :)

I guess shuttle stopped staying at the Colonial Inn in Concord, MA. It has been a few years, but when I was there we stayed there on the BED layovers. That place rocked. They say it was haunted, nearly every President from Washington on had stayed there, and we always left beer on the fire escape for the next crew. I thnik it was around $199 a night. Oh well, maybe that was why they went broke...

As for the worst dump, the airport hotel in DAY. I can't remember what it was called, other then DUMP. I think it is right next to PSA's HQ.

Airport Plaza in PIT is worse than the Wayfarer, hands down. Neon purple paint. 1960's era Television/AM radio/Alarm clock combo with old fashion turn knobs for changing channels. And worn out wood panel walls with stuff carved in them. Plus the aformentioned questionable substances on the sheets. Fun, fun, fun. Glad we aren't there anymore.

Super 8 in TOL is great.

The Clarion in AZO is nice. Free hot dinner and breakfast buffet.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back