Nascar

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

KC-10 Driver

This post technically doesn't have anything to do with aviation or aviation travel. But, I thought I'd get some good advice here anyway.

I am in no way a NASCAR fan, but my young son is a fanatic about it. For his 7th birthday, I have decided that I want to take him to the Dover Int'l Speedway on the weekend of June 3-5. There is the Craftsman Truck Series, NASCAR Busch Series, and the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series that weekend.

I am looking for advice on exactly what would be the best things to see or do for an avid 7 year old and his unknowing father. I plan on attending for only one day -- I live about a 2 hour drive from Dover.

Which day might be best? -- ie. maybe less crowds, or activities more suited for a younger fan. Is it possible to get my son relatively close to the action -- say near one of the pits? Best way to buy tickets? I haven't bought any tickets yet -- just today decided to do this.

Please bear in mind that I know very little about NASCAR -- only that my son loves to watch Speedvision on cable!

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I have not been there in years but you may want to try the museum on base there. Other than the AFB and the race track there isn't much to do down that way unless you want to go to the beach futher south.

http://www.amcmuseum.org/

If your driving from the north and going past Philly stop by the Battleship New Jersey on the Camden side. I hear its a good stop but haven't gotten down there myself. Something about not really wanting to head to that part of town unless I'm headed to work.

http://www.battleshipnewjersey.org/

My last overnite in ORF we went down to the Battleship Wiss which is the Jersey sister ship. Its was worth the visit.

Last edited:
Thanks Lear.

We might go the the AMC Museum at Dover if running out of things to do -- but the focus will really be on the races.

I live in New Jersey, close to Philly and about 15-20 minutes from the USS New Jersey. It is pretty cool to visit, but won't be doing it that weekend.

Now come on, NASCAR fans, where are you? Any tips on attending the race with a young kid?

KC-10,
Get your tickets now, if it isn't to late, they go fast.
Try to get a garage pass, NASCAR loves kids.
Try to get seats midway to high up the stands, at Dover you'll see the whole track.
Bring ear plugs!
You'll soon be a NASCAR fan!

Young kids cannot get garage and pit passes. I cannot remember the exact age restriction.

cdog said:
KC-10,
Get your tickets now, if it isn't to late, they go fast.
Try to get a garage pass, NASCAR loves kids.
Try to get seats midway to high up the stands, at Dover you'll see the whole track.
Bring ear plugs!
You'll soon be a NASCAR fan!

I fly for a busch series owner. I talked to him today and he said you have to be 18 to enter the pits. He said there are exceptions to the rule, but that it only applies to family members of drivers and race crews.

Basically he said 18+ for Nascar owner/driver/crew guests/VIPs. I know when I go to races they ask me for my ID and I have to sign a liability waiver.

I'll ask him tomorrow about general admission tickets for the spectator stands, but no promises.

How many will there be in your party?
We're flying the owner and some others to the MBNA RacePoints 400 race at Dover, so I'll see what I can do for a fellow aviator, but again no promises. :)

Andrew

Last edited:
Westwind is right, usually have to be 18 to get into the pit and paddock area. As far as getting close to the action. If you want to sit track side, the truck race is your best bet for tickets...the Cup race is sold out for sure and the bush race probibly too. But the best place to see the race form is atleast halfway up the grandstands so that you can see the whole track. There will be plety of stuff to do and see at the track on the outside. You can spend a whole day going through the vendor area for souveniers and doing the activities that the sponsors set up. Not much else to do in dover though except for race and the AFB. Goodluck.

KC-10 Driver said:
This post technically doesn't have anything to do with aviation or aviation travel. But, I thought I'd get some good advice here anyway.

I am in no way a NASCAR fan, but my young son is a fanatic about it. For his 7th birthday, I have decided that I want to take him to the Dover Int'l Speedway on the weekend of June 3-5. There is the Craftsman Truck Series, NASCAR Busch Series, and the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series that weekend.

I am looking for advice on exactly what would be the best things to see or do for an avid 7 year old and his unknowing father. I plan on attending for only one day -- I live about a 2 hour drive from Dover.

Which day might be best? -- ie. maybe less crowds, or activities more suited for a younger fan. Is it possible to get my son relatively close to the action -- say near one of the pits? Best way to buy tickets? I haven't bought any tickets yet -- just today decided to do this.

Please bear in mind that I know very little about NASCAR -- only that my son loves to watch Speedvision on cable!

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kudos for the effort you're putting into this for your son! I dont know a thing about the Dover track and not much more about Nascar, but I hope you guys have a great time.

I would say to go to the Busch Series Race. There are never as many fans at that race; at least here in PHX that is the case. He will get to see some of the top drivers without all the crowds.

As far as I know, you do have to be 18 to get into the pits or garage. I wanted to take my son to the last race, but he is only 13. The pit pass is no big deal. If you could get the garage pass, that is the real deal!

Hope he has fun. You definitely need to get seats very high up in the stands. If you get them low, all you see are the cars whizzing by and lots of noise.

You are going to pay a pretty penny for seats right now. Our track here sells out almost 6 months in advance. All the scalpers take the great seats and then sell them for big bucks.

You also need to bring ear protection. Get those headsets that go over your ears. You can get them at Home Depot for not a bad price.

Also, get the track scanner so that he can listen to his favorite driver. You can get one scanner and two headsets. Very cool; you get to listen to decisions being made whether to pit or not, etc.

Have fun!

Kathy

Resume Driver

If you want some real action, go find a dirt track in the area. Trust me, you'll have fun. If you want some racing, watch F-1. (Formula-one). I think you might like it.:)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back