Name that Airport...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
groundpointsix said:
The guy who owned it actually based a Baron out of there. Pretty impressive for a 1200 foot runway. Bigger balls than I.

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/WV/Airfields_WV_SW.htm

Scroll about 3/4 of the way down for more information.

Yup! :) Although they no longer have the baron, the family still has a helicopter based on the field. The gentleman who built it, Mr.Swope, passed away a few years ago. He was someone who had a great passion for aviation. Even though he lost an eye as a child, he logged thousands of take-offs and landings on that 1200ft, steeply sloped runway. There's a cooler pic of the field on the link that groundpointsix quoted.

mattpilot said:
Get out a taxi diagram of ORD. It says "penalty box" on it. Its near the middle by the terminals.

And yes - its legal :)

swear to god i must have had a class with ya...i remember distinctly talking about that......spartonia???

mattpilot said:
Get out a taxi diagram of ORD. It says "penalty box" on it.
And yes - its legal :)

Speaking of the Penalty Box, one of the biggest a$$ chewings I've ever gotten from a ground controller was at ORD last summer.

Ahh, I can still hear her voice like it was yesterday. ;)

User997 said:
Speaking of the Penalty Box, one of the biggest a$$ chewings I've ever gotten from a ground controller was at ORD last summer.

Ahh, I can still hear her voice like it was yesterday. ;)

come on...spill it

-mini

minitour said:
come on...spill it
oh heck no, not on this board! are you insane?!

lets just say in short it had something to do with a disoriented first officer, a debate with the captain as to which runway we were headed too, and a taxiway full of regional jets that we got in the way of. :D

Latest resources

Back