• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mythbusters, Plane on a treadmill..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
if youre answer is anything but "yes it will" than you need to read up on the difference between ground speed and airspeed

Again, the original question is right there.

When I read your question, the answer seems to me, No the airplane won't fly. No relative motion = no fly.

Now, if you want to change your question, to what they did on MythBusters, then the plane will fly.

Oh, and I had Kari Byron (MythBuster CHick) on my flight from ANC the other day. Niiiice.

That wasn't the original question. Mythbusters didn't "change" anything. Even if it WAS the question, one should realize that "...treadmill speeds up keeping the plane in the same relative position" is about the dumbest most ignorant POS thing a pilot can say.

It is no surprise, however, that one would say that particular phrase was in the original question. Most naysayers are unable to swallow their pride after realizing how stupid they sound arguing on the internet for months about something they should know about, but don't.

I would hit Kari like the fist of an angry god.

-Brett

-Brett[/quote]

True dat.

However, it should be noted that her mass, much like the length of this debate, has increased over the years. Just sayin'.

That wasn't the original question. Mythbusters didn't "change" anything. Even if it WAS the question, one should realize that "...treadmill speeds up keeping the plane in the same relative position" is about the dumbest most ignorant POS thing a pilot can say.

Okay, I'm just quoting here. Tell that to CooperVane.

Let's say I asked a question:

I've got $5 million that I want to divide 5 ways, evenly.

You could say, duh, $1 million.

Or, you could say, duh, no pilot has five million! So, let's say you're lucky with $500, so the answer is $100.

I've got a laser beam that can shoot through the planet. If I point straight down on NY, where will it come out? Indian Ocean? or Nowhere, because no one has a laser that can do that?

All I'm saying is, Cooper's question said the plane didn't move. If it doesn't move, it doesn't matter if it's stuck in glue, missing wheels, bolted to the floor, or on a mythical treadmill: without Relative Wind, the plane won't produce lift.

The important point is that people who read CooperVane's question literally would see one thing, and people who put the real world in mind would see differently.

-Brett

Oh, yeah!

Okay, I'm just quoting here. Tell that to CooperVane.

Let's say I asked a question:

I've got $5 million that I want to divide 5 ways, evenly.

You could say, duh, $1 million.

Or, you could say, duh, no pilot has five million! So, let's say you're lucky with $500, so the answer is $100.

I've got a laser beam that can shoot through the planet. If I point straight down on NY, where will it come out? Indian Ocean? or Nowhere, because no one has a laser that can do that?

All I'm saying is, Cooper's question said the plane didn't move. If it doesn't move, it doesn't matter if it's stuck in glue, missing wheels, bolted to the floor, or on a mythical treadmill: without Relative Wind, the plane won't produce lift.

The important point is that people who read CooperVane's question literally would see one thing, and people who put the real world in mind would see differently.

Oh, yeah!

So: CooperVane is either a) a very successful troll or b) a total idiot.

B

Why pose the question in the first place if you stipulate that the plane doesn't move? Totally defeats the purpose of running this "thought experiment," which is designed to tease out the salient physics.

Airplanes have ground speed and airspeed. why are there a crap load of posts on two threads about this. Would a plane going 200kias flying with a 200kt tail wind go 400kts GS or would it drop out of the sky. Hope that question dosen't spark up a new thread.

Can someone please post the original Coopervane question/scenario? There has got to be a good reason why this isn't obvious to everybody. The way I work it in my mind, it is totally irrelevant if the treadmill is moving forward, backwards, or not at all. The plane still takes off.
Now if you had said that a plane is on a treadmill with the parking brake set, then my opinion would change.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back